Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have wheel alignment settings for the 1.8T ? Not happy with the steering on my car. It follows the road camber very strongly. Its not torque steer ( I have alittle of this under exceleration ). It does this while just cruising and also when braking and needs constant correction.

Car was originally delivered with 17" wheels and I upgraded to 18" (genuine wheels). Would this effect the wheel alignment required?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the identical problem on my 2.7TDi sport. I took it back to the dealer. They said they had a look and couldn't see anything wrong but would do a full geometry check if I wanted.

I just figured it was because the tyres were very grippy and they would pull the steering around as the camber of the road changes. This is the first time I've had such fat tyres (I have the 18" wheels) so I don't know if this is normal or not. Perhaps it isn't.
The 'pull' can be quite strong sometimes - particularly under braking. If I didn't hang on to the wheel, it could easily change into another lane if I didn't stop it. It can veer to either side depending on the road.

Mine is fitted with 245/40 18 tyres (Bridgestone Potenza). What about yours? Is anyone else seeing this? Is this something that I should expect or does it sound wrong?

Cheers
Plob

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Glad someone else is noticing this. Im not happy at all. I had a TT with same size wheels before this car and not a hint of that type of pull. I have heard of it before on cars fitted with the wrong offset wheels but mine are genuine wheels from the dealer.

If I was test driving it as a second hand car I would assume it needed suspension renewing, so its not right. Checked my front tyres today and there is a small bit of feathering at the very inside edge after 2000 km.
I have a feeling the tracking is way off. Must book it in to dealer(Might get tyre company to check the wheel alignment settings first)

Plob, Is yours quattro? Mine is 1.8T front wheel drive.
Ive same size tyres but firestone.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Micdw
Mine is a front wheel drive only model - not quattro.

I just had a quick look at my tyres. I can't see any obvious abnormal wear but then its difficult to tell properly due to the asymmetrical pattern.

I'm glad to hear you have tyres from a different manufacturer as it (partially) rules out tyres as being the culprit.

Is anyone else out there seeing this problem with FWD cars?

Cheers
Plob

·
Registered
56 Posts
The 'pull' can be quite strong sometimes - particularly under braking. If I didn't hang on to the wheel, it could easily change into another lane if I didn't stop it. It can veer to either side depending on the road.

Mine is fitted with 245/40 18 tyres (Bridgestone Potenza). What about yours? Is anyone else seeing this? Is this something that I should expect or does it sound wrong?

Cheers
Plob
I had exactly the same problem on my 3.0 TDI. I had not noticed until recently as I was running on spiked winter tyres but after changing to my summer tyres (also Bridgestone Potenza 245/40 18) I immediately experienced strong pulls when running on certain roads. Situation got somewhat better after checking and filling air to 2.8 bar front / 2.6 bar rear.

But it still wasn't very good. So I took it back to the dealer and test drove some other A5's with the same tyres. They were different and much better.

So I got a free 4-wheel alignment and here are the results:

Before:

Front left
camber -1.08
caster 5.05
toe 0.13

Front right
caster 5.09
toe 0.10

Rear left
camber -1.44
toe 0.07

Rear right
camber -1.26
toe 0.09

AFTER ALIGNMENT:
Front left
camber -1.10
caster 5.05
toe 0.11

Front right
camber -1.16
caster 5.09
toe 0.10

Rear left
camber -1.21
toe 0.10

Rear right
camber -1.21
toe 0.10

After the alignment the car feels much better and I am much more happy with it now :)

Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Micdw,
Please let me know how the car feels after you have the work done.

Thanks to Mikael for the information. The thing that surprises (worries) me is the actual results. If the car now feels significantly different, it seems that they didn't have to make much adjustment to acheive it. This suggests that the car is very fussy.
The only thing I can think of is that the difference across both wheels may be a factor - rather than the raw values for each wheel.
For example, the front left camber only went from 1.08 to 1.10 and the front right went from 1.19 to 1.16. This isn't much of a difference. However, if we compare the difference between measurements, the value before adjustment is 0.11 (1.19-1.08) and after adjustment it is 0.06 (1.16-1.10).

As they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Micdw - I really hope this makes a difference for you. If it does, I'll get mine booked in

Cheers for all the feedback
Plob

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good point about it being fussy, I hope not or I will be looking for a different car cause the roads around here make it v difficult to keep tracking spot on.
I think though that toe is the only thing thats adjustable. The others change as a result of changing the toe measurement. The new toe values are all set to 0.1 (except one at 0.11) and looking at toe values before, they were ranging from 0.13 to 0.07. Now presuming 0.0 values would mean all four wheels pointing straight ahead and 0.1 is the correct toe, then I guess it was a fair bit out.
Im booked in for the 8th of may so will see. If dealer tries to say there is nothing wrong, Im not sure what to do. Will drive another one and maybe get them to fit the original wheels to mine to see if any better.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Im not getting my A5 until Jan but i know a few years ago my mother had a Hyndai Coupé and it did this also.

While driving along it would all of a sudden take a little shift to the left. Could be fairly dangerous - especially on narrow roads. It seemed a lot more noticable under breaking too. Dont think she ever got it fixed though (or probably even tried to) so i dont know what it was.

Hope i dont get than on my A5 though. That would really annoy me

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...Can I just add that typically, the lighter the car and the wider the wheels, the more this will occur... in any car. ...the same if you increase the offsets.

Geometry accuracy can help and can even be altered to help compensate for modifiations, such as wider wheels or changed offsets, but in principle the more leverage (wider or offset) the wheel is, the more strongly the 'toe-in' will be pulled straight when the edge of the tyre touches the outside of a rut in the road. this 'tram-lining' is annoying and in some cases dangerous, so as you guys are doing, mention it to your dealer and make sure you are set-up optimally... after that, you may have to accept it.

FYI... my S5 is the best car I've driven in ages for NOT having this problem with ruts in the road... But then again my old A6 with changed offsets was particularly bad!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...Can I just add that typically, the lighter the car and the wider the wheels, the more this will occur... in any car. ...the same if you increase the offsets.

Geometry accuracy can help and can even be altered to help compensate for modifiations, such as wider wheels or changed offsets, but in principle the more leverage (wider or offset) the wheel is, the more strongly the 'toe-in' will be pulled straight when the edge of the tyre touches the outside of a rut in the road. this 'tram-lining' is annoying and in some cases dangerous, so as you guys are doing, mention it to your dealer and make sure you are set-up optimally... after that, you may have to accept it.

FYI... my S5 is the best car I've driven in ages for NOT having this problem with ruts in the road... But then again my old A6 with changed offsets was particularly bad!

Believe me, I am talking seriously bad. So bad that if it cannot be seriously improved I will be getting rid of the car as it is worse than useless as is.
Last car was a TT with same size wheels and not a hint of this problem until 100,000 miles (main reason I sold it as I could no longer place it accurately on the road under braking). I assumed worm suspension but could never find anything but now Im thinking it was just wheel alignment.

If my a5 were to be taken to a race track, it would be undriveable due to difficulty in placing it accurately on the road. In fact my arm gets sore from the constant steering correction on any longish run on all but the best of roads.

Also, I notice from owners manual that rear track width is narrower than front. I wonder would the handling benefit from spacing out the rear wheels alittle as to me the idea of being narrow at the back would possibly add to the problem of the car tending to dart from one side to the other.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
hmmm... if it is as bad as you say and not all owners have this problem, I think it could be more than just an alignment fault. Start with getting that set bang on and see what difference it makes, but what you are describing sounds EXACTLY like 'play' in the suspension, usually associated with worn-out parts... in your case it sounds like something is looser than it should be OR you have a faulty shock absorber. I've driven cars with these problems and the symptoms are just like you say, and a lot more than just a little tram-lining. Get the whole thing thoroughly checked by the dealer AND take their demonstrator for a drive too to compare.

As for the widening the track at the rear, this will have no effect.

Good luck.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmmm... if it is as bad as you say and not all owners have this problem, I think it could be more than just an alignment fault. Start with getting that set bang on and see what difference it makes, but what you are describing sounds EXACTLY like 'play' in the suspension, usually associated with worn-out parts... in your case it sounds like something is looser than it should be OR you have a faulty shock absorber. I've driven cars with these problems and the symptoms are just like you say, and a lot more than just a little tram-lining. Get the whole thing thoroughly checked by the dealer AND take their demonstrator for a drive too to compare.

As for the widening the track at the rear, this will have no effect.

Good luck.
Others have said that alignment has made a huge difference so we will see.
Example: If I get a wheel across the crown of the road onto the opposite side, it handles like a pig.
As for during exceleration, I drive on narrowish roads and when I went to overtake a car at a place Ive done it a thousand times, with many many cars, for the first time ever I had a struggle to keep the car on line doing full power in second gear. Now I expect I little torque steer but its very giddy and not what I expect or want from a 54,000 euro car (Ireland)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update:

Had car at the dealer. They are totally aware of this problem. First tried to blame my wheels ( 18" Y alloys, 17" are standard here in ireland). When I pointed out that they were bought from themselves with the car new and that they are wheels specifically for the A5, they agreed. Test drove a car with 17" wheels, same problem but not as severe. Service manager admitted that their audi sales guy in driving one with 19" wheels and it is difficult to control on the roads here. and also that his own new A4 has the same trouble!
Told me to write to distributor and inform them that it is dangerous and see what they intend doing about it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just got my car back from the garage this afternoon.
They did the wheel alignment under warranty and now it drives fine!
Thats great. Did you get a print out of results?

My dealer was obviously talking shit then. Said wheel alignment wouldnt cause it. I think they only had the alignment equipment in their other garage 40 miles away and just didnt want the hassle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Update:

Had car at the dealer. They are totally aware of this problem. First tried to blame my wheels ( 18" Y alloys, 17" are standard here in ireland). When I pointed out that they were bought from themselves with the car new and that they are wheels specifically for the A5, they agreed. Test drove a car with 17" wheels, same problem but not as severe. Service manager admitted that their audi sales guy in driving one with 19" wheels and it is difficult to control on the roads here. and also that his own new A4 has the same trouble!
Told me to write to distributor and inform them that it is dangerous and see what they intend doing about it.
Well I suggest your dealer get a new job then :)

My car handles perfectly fine after the alignment and was really not good at all prior to that...

Ask him again to fix the alignment!

Good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thats great. Did you get a print out of results?

My dealer was obviously talking shit then. Said wheel alignment wouldnt cause it. I think they only had the alignment equipment in their other garage 40 miles away and just didnt want the hassle.
No sorry, didn't get any report..I'd normally expect this in UK but my German isn't too great. The technician just said it was out, so they fixed it under warranty.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Well had alignment done finally and yes very much improved. In fact, the difference is much more than I thought a small change of alignment could make.

Here are report details

front toe ..........before.................After...........Min & max allowable
left wheel.........0"04'.............0"09' ...................0"5' to 0" 15'
Right wheel.......0"19' .............0"09'

Rear toe................before................After.....................Min & max allowable
left wheel...............0"13'.................0"10'.....................0"05' to 0"15'
Right wheel.............0"05'.................0"10'

Lots of other readings on sheet but all fine. Front toe was out of tolerence.

Edit: After driving a couple of hundred miles after alignment, I notice it is not quite right.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.