Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a follow-up from a thread a few weeks ago - AMI Gremlin. After 25 days of ownership, my car has been back at the dealer's for 7 days, spread over three visits. Basically, my MMI doesn't work most of the time, but sometimes it does - and I had a flat battery once. On the first 2 visits they simply reset all the fault codes and it worked ... until the next day. When it happened the third time I threatened to reject the car as being of unsatisfactory quality and not fit for purpose. They acted quickly, took the car back and gave me a loaner. I got the diagnosis today - a faulty AMI unit. I was then given the news that AMIs are on back order and will take 5-7 days. OK I said, take the faulty AMI out, give me my car back and I'll come back again when the new unit arrives. "We'd rather not" was the reply. "We're happy for you to keep the loaner and your car is safe while it's with us". Why do you think they are reluctant to return my car? Is it a technical thing related to whatever devices are coded into the car? Is it because of the threatened rejection of the car and they'd rather keep it until it's fixed. I'd rather be driving an A5 than an A4, not that there's anything wrong with A4s. What if the new AMI takes even longer to arrive? On the other hand I want it fixed, and fixed properly? What would you do?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I would leave it there until it is fixed--it would bug me just knowing there was something wrong with the car and you don't need any other electrical gremlins sneeking up on you while you wait for the part.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I'd leave it with them. However, if it takes longer than it's supposed to, then i'd report it to the motor trade ombudsmen.

Also, when you get it back, have a GOOD check over it. The "we'd rather not" line can usually mean "we've messed something up" or "we've pranged the car". Have a look for respray marks / overspray / dust particles under the paint. Check everything in the interior and make sure - importantly - that they havn't stuck a screwdriver in to Lever the MMI unit out. It's very easy to leave marks when levering things out.

Don't trust anyone!

·
Registered
643 Posts
I too would leave it at the dealer, for the same reasons, but I'd be visiting them every other day or so to make sure the car's still fine (I would hate to find out the mechanics had been joy-riding in it). Make your presence felt over there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Might also be an idea to check the mileage when it's finally done - if it's got more than a couple of test miles added on, you know they've been pulling your chain ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
yeah, I think I'm with Boomer on this one. Leave it with them. Even after the bit has been fitted, get them to keep it, and test it for a few days. Last thing I would want is for the dealer to rush my car back and then have it brake down and leave me stranded somewhere I didn't want to be.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. Reluctantly, I think I agree with your collective advice - leave it with them until it's fixed. However, I can't just pop in for a quick look-see since the dealer is 150 miles away, the result of an impulse buy while I was out on business. :( (I noted the mileage so will know if it has been 'used').
Rab's comments about potential dealer damage are sadly slightly worrying - I've seen it happen before. I'll take comfort in the fact that it's not with a Glasgow dealer. Just kidding Rab!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
OK... Here's what I would do.... Remember, they need an incentive to keep them pressurising Audi and then to get on and fix it... They are probably quite happy for you to sit there for weeks in a spare car... So... Leave the car with them but...

I would issue an ultimatum... give them 5 days to provide a loaner A5 (of any type). That way, they either have to give you their demonstrator (which means they cant sell it) or get one from Audi. Every day that you have it is causing them a problem. That should provide an incentive to get them to hurry things along and is only fair as an A4 is NOT an equivalent car.

If they can't get you an A5 loaner in 5 days, then you reject the A5 and get a refund.

Finally, any loaner you do get will be handy for visiting your relatives in Cornwall and for driving to France to pick up some cheap xmas booze... stack on those miles while you can!

That's my half-pennyworth! ;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ho hum - that's a week since I've seen my car. Latest news is that the replacement AMI is showing as Stock in Transit. Maybe early next week!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Thats really, bloody slow :(

You'd feel like hopping on Ryanair and going to collect it yourself, would be faster !!:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Glasgow are a pain in the back side, never had a good experience with them in the last 6 years.
Well, i've just booked the car in to Glasgow to have the passenger seat electrics looked at, as they aren't working properly. And also to have the driver's handle lubed a little bit, because it isn't retracting.

Apparently they have absolutely no engineers available for the next two weeks! But they've got the "head engineer" looking at it next wedneday. Hopefully he can fix it there and then. Seems like it's just a loose wire that's shorting when the backrest is put forward.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rab & SAJ

Surprised to hear about Glasgow Audi - arn't they one of the biggest (if not the biggest) in the UK. Thought they would have had more resources. Mind you, I should really be dealing with Edinburgh Audi - but ever since Lomond took them over the service & hassle went spiralling downwards & I would never cross their threshhold again. That's why I ended up going to Aberdeen of all places. Mind you, I wish I'd headed south to Carlisle since they are getting some good reviews and it would have been a lot closer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.