Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a bit of a Dilemma... I have 4 options and am finding it difficult to decide.

------------------------------------------------------
Option 1

Order New S5 to my Spec costing - £47K GBP On the Road

-------------------------------------------------------

Option 2

My dealer has S5 coming any week, with my spec + Extras, but in my second choice of colour (Meteor Grey), I personally prefer Phantom Black - Cost is £49K GBP - but i could be driving this baby in a couple of weeks time

Option 3

This is appealing to me - Audi Approved car, to my specification. It has almost 6000 miles on the clock and has tinted windows - Not to sure about tinted windows, Thats the sort of thing you do when your 18... :( - The Huge + side is it costs 40K saving me £8K - Thats 2 years worth of FUEL!!!!!

Option 4

Cop out and go for a Mercedes Benz CLS55 AMG Second Hand - (But i love the Audi!!!!)

I sold my Type-R today, so now i have no wheels... Really need to make a decision quick.

·
Registered
165 Posts
hmm this is how I would view it.

Option 4 is out 2 main reasons (1. You love the S5/Audi) (2. You have listed 3 reasons to get S5).

Option 2 is expensive and your getting extras that you didnt really want in option one and not your choice of colour so will you always be saying to yourself wish I had gone for ...but you get your hands on it earlier :D is that worth the extra 2K?.

Option 1 your specs your car but its the WAIT:(

That leaves option 3. It is to your specs and is available now :D only downside for me is that you are 6000 miles into those tyres tinted windows wouldnt really bother me that much.

And the winner is ................................. OPTION 3 yayyyyyyyyyyyy:D :D

Go to the dealers now and buy the bugger I would.

Thats my 10pence worth anyway dude for what its worth. Either way you getting an S5 unless you have a mental relapse and go for option 4:p

·
Registered
714 Posts
Option 2 would seem to be your obvious choice from what you've said. Lots of meteor fans on here as it's a little easier to maintain than the blacks.

The Audi I have right now is Ebony Black and is an absolute pig to keep clean. Plenty of coverage in these forums on colours, esp black versus meteor.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you keep your cars for a while i would be patient and order the car you really want (option1).On the other hand if you only plan on keeping it a year or 2 i would go for the quick hit (option3).Either way you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If the car is in immaculate condition, I would take option 3. I've just racked on 5k miles miles, did 5k mile service, and still drives like the day I bought it... actually a little better because it's broken in.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Option 5 is now in the Picture

Today i saw a new Ice Silver with Black Interior. New at 46K. All the extra's i wanted apart from the 20" RS wheels. However this had an additional bonus of a Sunroof, which is no longer available to order on UK Spec cars.

Decisions Decisions.... I think i need to see the Grey one... Hopefully next week and that should shed some light in which direction to go

·
Registered
141 Posts
i was kind of in the same boat as you. I decided to wait a year or so and just get an A5 or S5 used.. I am looking into a 06 BMW M3 vert to cruise around in for a year or 2, until I go get the audi. Audi still rules over BMW though :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's Option 3 - you say you need a car now. But if you can get temporary wheels then wait and go with Option 1 and get the one you WANT!

And now slightly off topic, a reference was made to their car having now done 5000 miles and still felt brand new or better. I sure hope so, because the car I'm about to trade-in when my S5 arrives next month has now done over 40000 miles and I'm convinced it feels as good today as when it had done after just a few thousand. My first Audi better be at least as good!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would go for option 3 now, then option 1 next year! ?could get 32-35k back in a year on option 3.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
OPTION 3 ... NOW!!! before it goes!!!!

...If this car is to your spec, colour etc then it's a no brainer... this is a gift from the gods! The only reason I got a new 5 was I couldn't get a 'nearly new' one in my spec.

Nearly new means all the initial depreciation has happened and you are quids in.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well just had a call to say the grey one will have finished its PDI and will be in the showroom on Tuesday.

By then i would have had a good look at the black one and silver one. So on Tuesday i can go and make the decision.

The silver (option 5) has really grown on me, and with the added sunroof its a bonus.

Tuesday will be judgment day. I have noticed not many people on the forum have the ice silver S5. Those of you who do have the sunroof on your S5/A5, do you think there is an increase in cabin noise?

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Option 3 for sure. At that saving, it would be stupid not to go for it I reckon.

This of it like this as well, after 6k miles, your brand new S5 will probably have depreciated at least as much as the car in Option three. It would only make sense to grab the car after it's initial depreciation - you probably wont take as big a hit when it comes to the residual value.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just got rid of a MB E 500 when I picked up the S5 on 4/9. It was a piece of garbage, constantly in the shop, not nearly as fun to drive (yes AMG is better than mine for that, but still not quite like the S5 in my opinion), and when you do have an ongoing problem that has not been fixed on multiple attempts (9 times trying to fix the airmatic suspension, and it still was a problem when I got rid of it) Mercedes Benz offers no solution. I will never buy from them again. If I were you, I would drop that option from the list. Its a lot of money for a headache!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Option 3 now!!!!:) why are you wasting valuable driving time reading this??:eek: Go and get it and enjoy:D

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think the real question is, "what would Brian Boitano do?"

but seriously, number 3 looks to be the obvious choice. Also, last I checked, you can have tint removed. Just be careful where the water drips or you'll fry your car.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For some reason i have Ice Silver now in my head. Its seems to be growing on me fast... Its seems that every S5 i look at i fall in love with.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Add one more option then roll a dice! (I know it's die not dice but that sounds pretentious).

I think you're probably in the position where whatever colour you get you'll see other S5's and think you should have had that colour ... it's inevitable.

Ice with the sunroof sounds great. Black sounds great. Meteor sounds great. Just bloody pick one and know it's your decision before one of the options goes and you always end up feeling cheated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
3 for me.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I would go option 3.
I have had two similar cars in my lifetime. Both were very good cars. One we ended up putting almost 90k on it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts