Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all

So as we all know the S5 comes pretty much loaded except for Nav. I dropped by the dealership and inquired about the cable needed to connect an MP3 device. I was under the impression that Audi provides these but the sales person didnt know anything about it. From my experience with car salesmen, they surprisingly dont know too much about their product.

All that said.... is there any small issues that need specific attention or to watch out for when ordering? I really dont trust the sales people to cross all the "t's" and dot all the "i's"

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
The cable you are referring to does NOT come with the car - you have to specify which cable you want. You can also buy them from the Audi 'parts' departments of most dealers. They are approx £20 (~$40).

There are several cables ;

- USB
- Mini USB
- iPod

and one other that I can't remember. It may be a different generation iPod connector.

I have both the USB and iPod cables (though only one can be used at a time) and they connect to your MMI via a socket in the glove compartment.

Cheers,
Dave.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I dropped by the dealership and inquired about the cable needed to connect an MP3 device. I was under the impression that Audi provides these but the sales person didnt know anything about it.
The cable you are referring to does NOT come with the car - you have to specify which cable you want.
When I ordered my US spec car with Nav option (which includes Audi Music Interface), my dealer advised me that the option includes one cable to connect your music device to the AMI. I specified a USB cable, and that part was actually sourced from the dealership's Parts department when I picked up my car. I didn't have to pay for it since it was included.

colditz, that 4th cable you couldn't remember is an MP3 (mini-plug).

·
Registered
42 Posts
I paid for mine

My car did not come with the cable . I was fortunate enough to get my car May 16th, 2008 out of dealer inventory. I know, crazy. Anyway I ordered it and it was $95 for the ipod cable from the dealers parts department. Strangely enough, I got a call the same day I ordered telling me that one randomly came into inventory that day and I could come back and pick it up. I can't complain though, I got a great deal on the car with no wait.:)

·
Registered
141 Posts
When I ordered my US spec car with Nav option (which includes Audi Music Interface), my dealer advised me that the option includes one cable to connect your music device to the AMI. I specified a USB cable, and that part was actually sourced from the dealership's Parts department when I picked up my car. I didn't have to pay for it since it was included.

colditz, that 4th cable you couldn't remember is an MP3 (mini-plug).
I just ordered my S5 and I was told that the cable is NOT included. I tried my very best to dig up threads on various forums and it looks like most people do get it for free but technically the cable is not included.

Is there a document that shows it's mandatory for them to give me a cable? I would love to get a free one and not spend $80 or so to purchase one.

Thanks,

dK

·
Registered
33 Posts
Be careful when going for Advanced Key.

If you want the Starter Button you have to ask for it, otherwise it won't be supplied with your car.

My Audi Salesman told me this, because he had a car rejected by a customer when his car with Advanced Key turned up without a Starter Button!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
From watching this forum for a while now, I'd say to avoid the advanced key because it seems to have a lot of failures and unwanted behaviors. ???

Take care when ordering the parking options... Previously there have benn up to three options available, parking (just beeps at you) Parking plus (includes graphics) and Parking advanced (includes reversing camera). I'm not sure what options you will have nowadays and over the water, but make sure you ask for all the details and if in doubt, do a search on here for some answers and some option codes.

Hope that helps...

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts

If you want the Starter Button you have to ask for it, otherwise it won't be supplied with your car.

My Audi Salesman told me this, because he had a car rejected by a customer when his car with Advanced Key turned up without a Starter Button!
First i've head of that. Advanced key means it's keyless entry along with a start/stop button. Item 4K7 in the brochure:

Audi A5/S5 Brochure said:

4K7​
Advanced key.​
Access and authorisation system which automatically exchanges data between key and vehicle,
allowing the driver to keep the key in their pocket or bag at all times. To unlock and open, simply lift the exterior
door handle. To lock, press the button on the handle. Pressing the start/stop button integrated into the centre
console starts and stops the engine

As i've said before, dealers don't know as much as you think.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Is there a document that shows it's mandatory for them to give me a cable? I would love to get a free one and not spend $80 or so to purchase one.
I haven't seen a document stating this, rather I'm going off what I was told by my dealer and also some posts by US spec A5/S5 owners in the forums indicating an iPod cable was included when their cars were delivered.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
So as we all know the S5 comes pretty much loaded except for Nav.
Not really. I put on nearly £10k of extras on to mine.

Sounds more like the other way round. The start button is required by the advanced key. Thats part of the package. Without the advanced key you would see the button gone.
From watching this forum for a while now, I'd say to avoid the advanced key because it seems to have a lot of failures and unwanted behaviors. ???
Despite being one of those that has had their sensors replaced, I would not go without it. It is so convenient and the upgraded sensors resolve the problem with water getting in. I dont know if Audi have altered the part on new builds but you would expect so seeing that this was identified as a problem last year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Not really. I put on nearly £10k of extras on to mine.
Well I'm not sure how it works in the UK. But here in the Great White North the S5 comes loaded for 65K...only options are NAV and Side Assist.

Its a good thing I brought this up because I didnt even know about this Advanced Key... and www.audi.ca makes no mention of it

·
Registered
677 Posts
I would have the salesperson toss in the MMI cable of your choice and the trunk (boot) liner. This would be out of their pocket or the dealers but would be nice stuff to add to the car for you the customer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ipod Cable

I got my car this past April. There was nothing said about getting the cord or not. After paying so much to get the NAV option- almost a couple grand- mainly to get the option to connect a music player-they damn well better provide the cord. Personally, I would get irate had I not gotten a cable and I find it hard to believe they would deliver the car and then tell you you have to pay for one after dropping 60k on a car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Local in Denver...

I got my car this past April. There was nothing said about getting the cord or not. After paying so much to get the NAV option- almost a couple grand- mainly to get the option to connect a music player-they damn well better provide the cord. Personally, I would get irate had I not gotten a cable and I find it hard to believe they would deliver the car and then tell you you have to pay for one after dropping 60k on a car.
Hi ES4&5ER:

Like you I'm local in Denver; and looking to buy/order an S5.

I've spoken to both of the two local dealerships; McDonald and Prestige.

Which did you prefer?

Thanks,

GTL

·
Registered
106 Posts
A great deal?

My car did not come with the cable . I was fortunate enough to get my car May 16th, 2008 out of dealer inventory. I know, crazy. Anyway I ordered it and it was $95 for the ipod cable from the dealers parts department. Strangely enough, I got a call the same day I ordered telling me that one randomly came into inventory that day and I could come back and pick it up. I can't complain though, I got a great deal on the car with no wait.:)
Hi Wausau -

If you don't mind me asking....

What do you mean by "a great deal?"

MSRP, under MSRP, etc?

·
Registered
22 Posts
gtlexec

also Denver native
ordered S5 from prestige in January. still have not gotten car yet (expected sept oct 2008); They have been excellent to do business with, and I can't say I feel the same about my experience with Macdonald.

Just my 2cnts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live much closer to McDonald and would not want to drive the distance. I have had no real issues with mcDonald although I hear people trashing them from time to time. They were pretty low hassle buying (I ordered way back in Oct 2007) and the car was delivered when they said it would be. I think they have a lower snob factor than prestige does which I prefer. The sales guy even drove the demo downtown so I could see what the meteor gray looked like in the daytime.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.