Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I'm not sure what to do. I totaled my 2003 jaguar xkr coupe back in september - bought it used with low miles early 2007. I've been searching for a car since, and I'm not certain I want to go back to the jag - partially because I'm still slightly traumatized, and partially because I have to buy a used one. THere was also a love-hate with the car.

I saw an a5 on the road the other day, and ended up with a pulled neck muscle as I whipped my head to stare. Wow. Beautiful car. Different from the xkr coupe, you cannot really say one is better than the other. I still need to test drive that and the s5 - I've contacted the dude recommended by a few here at MV audi. Other than that, I've read up all I can on both the audi's. What I haven't seen is how well the audi's do for long distance or a ton of driving? I do about 20k miles per year.

What's keeping me from this car is that I have concerns about maintenance. I was fortunate with the jag to have found an excellent mechanic.

A used 2003-2006 jag with low miles and an excellent extended warranty will likely be less expensive than a new s5 or even a5. On the other hand, it is used. I like the exclusivity of both the audi's and the jag coupes, not many at all on the road even here in so cal (OC). Probably a bit of a long shot, but has anyone driven both? Can they be compared at all?

Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
371 Posts
haven't driven the S5 yet, but I have the 2009 A5 S line with the sport suspension and it drives great. The car has good power to pedal response, also the suspension is very good at cornering at high speeds, but what I have really noticed is even at low speeds the car handles and turns very tight. I have driven some nice cars with great handling but this is the first that can handle just as good but not break your back in the process.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Audi is a far superior brand than Jag. I suggest you take one out for a test drive.

In terms of longevity and performance for long distance, I have about 5500 miles since September 1st and everything is great. The car is very comfortable and sporty and attracts a lot of attention.

I don't think Jag has quite a good grasp on the market, especially after being influenced by Ford. It seems like everything Ford touches turns to ____. I forsee Jag having troubles in the future the way the economy is taking its turn. Audi will be much better off with its strong roots in Europe and extensive product development/racing team.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took an a5 sline for a test drive today.

I was impressed with how solid everything was on the inside, and the interior elements were very intuitive, modern - there's very little that would rattle in the car with extensive driving. The seats were comfortable. The jag's interior is dated and has a few interior rattling gremlins. The a5 is larger in person than I had thought, when I saw it on the road a couple weeks ago, it seemed a lot smaller.

Handling was fantastic, better than the jag. However, I guess I'm used to the 400hp supercharged 4.2L v8, the a5 lacks performance. The ride was very harsh, I can see having trouble driving this more than a couple hours or so (which I do about once a month or so) - I could drive the jag hours on hours. The ride is akin to a small car ride, perhaps a small-medium sized sports car. The jag's ride has a much larger, sultrier muscle car feeling.

The interior was too dark, even with light-colored seats. I suppose that's the "in" thing right now. I'd love to test a S5, but, they only had manuals on the lot, which I don't know how to drive atm.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I don't know what your location is but I drive 2 1/2 hours just about every weekend and back. I'm even on coilovers and I don't feel as the ride is harsh. Maybe it's because the roads here in FL are maintained. And regarding your point about the interior being too dark, I have 20% tint (35% windshield) all around and I have no trouble seeing anything.

As with anything you have to get used to it. I didn't even test drive this car before I bought it, hadn't even seen one. I'm in love with it.

Could you tell us what your budget is for a new car?

·
Registered
371 Posts
It sounds like you like the A5 but not the sport suspension. I have always enjoyed more control/firm ride over silky smooth ride/sloshy steering but I think the S line has a good balance.

I have found the performance to be enough for me. I did notice that for the money I could have had much faster cars, but I bought the A5 for the looks. The performance is just a bonus.

When you are spending a lot on a car it is almost hard to buy a bad one, the trick is to buy the right one for you.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I don't think Audi A5 lacks performance, but on the other hand you haven't said what engine you have driven. I assume 3.2 V6 as that is the most common engine with tiptronic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't like "sloshy steering" either, but the bumpity bump bump and hard knocking was what wasn't very comfortable. I'm in southern california in the nice areas, our roads are excellent in most places, with a few small rough spots here and there. Even on the smooth roads, the "noise" was harsh. I'm not quite sure how to verbalize the experience, other than a small sports car ride, although the car is not very small at all. The a5 driven was the 3.2 v6. I'd certainly get used to this, and I'm sure not a problem with the s5, at the end of the day, does it make sense for me to spend this much on a car when I can get a used xkr for a bit less? That's why I'm here, to help me learn this. I have to go test drive the S5 this week. I dunno if there are any automatics in the neighborhood, though. I've heard some amazing deals on the 2008 s6's, and they've one in stock. Car's way too big for me, but hey, who knows.

Budget? Not in my vocabulary. If I like it, I buy it. Again, the question is, do I want to. I know that cannot be answerd by anyone but me, however, learning about the car through others and my own tests will help lead me in the right direction :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts