Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size spacers do you guys recommend? I did a search and found some members went as big as 25mm which I think is too much since I will be doing 20" wheels and 35mm H&R springs in the spring time... I was thinking 15mm all around, also I went to the H&R website but I only found the 15mm spacers but not the longer bolts that go with it... Anyone know where else I can find the complete set with spacers & bolts thanks!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Whether or not you'll have any potential rubbing issues depends upon what the width and offset is for your wheels. Do you know those specs yet?

BTW, be warned that you will have a somewhat harsh ride (particularly on rough roads) with those 1.3" H&R springs and 20" wheels.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Whether or not you'll have any potential rubbing issues depends upon what the width and offset is for your wheels. Do you know those specs yet?

BTW, be warned that you will have a somewhat harsh ride (particularly on rough roads) with those 1.3" H&R springs and 20" wheels.

Even with the 1" springs on 20's you had better be ok with a very stiff ride (speaking from experience).

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont mind the harshness.... I am used to it as all my cars are lowered, you have to sacrifice one for another I guess... I'll just drive in comfort mode :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
I dont mind the harshness.... I am used to it as all my cars are lowered, you have to sacrifice one for another I guess... I'll just drive in comfort mode :)
your lowering with drive select?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
sorry buddy, it's not going to work. Lowering it with springs disable's drive select :(
Not true. Where did you read that?

Lowering the car with just springs will still allow the electronic dampening on the stock shocks to function. However, lowering it with coilovers (i.e., replacing the springs AND stock shocks) will not allow the electronic dampening to function anymore since you've removed the stock shocks. (link)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Not true. Where did you read that?
i read that from you i believe. So what's the difference between coilover's and springs? What are the benefits of having coillovers over springs, if there are, i would like to know because i would like to have my car lowered while still being able to use drive select.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
So what's the difference between coilover's and springs? What are the benefits of having coillovers over springs, if there are, i would like to know because i would like to have my car lowered while still being able to use drive select.
When coilovers are installed, the springs and shocks are both replaced. When lowering springs are installed, you're just replacing the stock springs but not the shocks. The downside of replacing just the springs and using the stock shocks is that the dampening rate of the shocks won't match the tighter springs. Perhaps you recall seeing a lowered car driving down the road that bounced a little when driving over bumpy sections. Well, that's due to the mismatched dampening on the shocks. Supposedly, this mismatch in dampening can lead to a shorter life span of the stock shocks. Coilovers are designed so that the dampening on the shocks is properly matched for the springs. (Read more here.)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Very informative Tx, thank you. So i get springs and my car is bumpy anyways even in comfort mode. i get coilovers and my car is bumpy also. Well drive select doesn't sound like a good investment then :cool:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
i get coilovers and my car is bumpy also.
Nope... at least not with the KW Variant 2 coilovers. My car drives like a dream with those things! Around corners it's tight like the car is on rails, but on bumpy roads it's surprisingly very comfortable... even with 20" wheels. Just read through all the positive comments in this thread.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Nope... at least not with the KW Variant 2 coilovers. My car drives like a dream with those things! Around corners it's tight like the car is on rails, but on bumpy roads it's surprisingly very comfortable... even with 20" wheels. Just read through all the positive comments in this thread.
Perfect! I get to have my cake and eat it too :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.