Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its been such a long time since I bought a brand new car and I am so surprised at the list what is classed as an extra, ie everything!....seems to me like you dont get any toys for nothing.......

So heres a question....what 'additional' extra could you not live without...I am not thinking resale value, because we all know the world is turning to [email protected] and our cars will all be worthless in the end, if not through 'depression', sorry freudian slip (or so thats what they tells us!!!), I mean recession and by the way our fuel is priced and taxed...and the pressure of eco-friendly box on wheels!!!!!!

No, what I am talking here is what extra, makes life just that little bit extra special in an A5?:)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Big wheels and lowered suspension... :) Makes the A5 look so much more purposeful.

On the inside, B&O stereo and heated seats!

I also (very personally) prefer the location of the MMI controls when you have SatNav fitted. IMHO, much nicer behing the gearstick than on the dash. Yes, it's actually a pretty rubbish system (maybe the new 3G is much better) and over-priced. But being boring for a second, research shows that 'premium' cars without SatNav suffer in value against those that do...

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm going to have to go for 2. Firstly, AMI, which allows my iphone to be controlled through the cars audio system. Secondly, hold assist, which makes the electronic brake so much more user-friendly.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Big alloys, because the car is all about looks anyway.

All other options have their own individual quirks that put a smile on your face, makes the car feel special, and it boils down to how many you can afford.

For example the front park assist is 'cool' when you see both it and the rear on the MMI.:cool:

Most people will say SatNav, but I couldn't justify £2000 for a system that is apparently inferior to a £150 TomTom.:p

For me though, the Hill hold (probably the cheapest option) is brilliant, apart from the fact you have to remember to switch it on each time you start the car :mad:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
You can always change the wheels later, but I agree with the above statemets that adding nav makes the MMI system even better -- you get a bigger main screen and a color secondary screen (the one in the dash) which is normally monochrome red, and of course the controls are in a better place. Unfortunately the nav itself kind of sucks compared to other navs, but it does the basic job when needed.

Oh yes, it seems like a no brainer, but you definitely want the LED daytime running lights. =)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Most people will say SatNav, but I couldn't justify £2000 for a system that is apparently inferior to a £150 TomTom.:p
I understand these things are personal choice but my experience of the navigation system in the new 3G MMI is significantly better than a TomTom (which I also own). The system is faster, clearer, integrated into the car controls, visible on the DIS and hence much safer. Coupled with the speech dialogue system to control it (and which is very reliable with my accent) I wouldn't dismiss it as quickly as you have.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I understand these things are personal choice but my experience of the navigation system in the new 3G MMI is significantly better than a TomTom (which I also own). The system is faster, clearer, integrated into the car controls, visible on the DIS and hence much safer. Coupled with the speech dialogue system to control it (and which is very reliable with my accent) I wouldn't dismiss it as quickly as you have.
I like (and bought) the nav option for the reasons I mentioned above, but I agree with RICHDAV that the nav system itself is basically crap.

Any nav system where I can't type in "Wal-Mart" and end up at the local Wal-Mart is basically crap. Period. The Eclipse AVN system I have in my 1992 Supra is 1 billion times superior. And no amount of voice dialog, 3D rendered buildings, and in-car integration in the new 3G will fix the fact that I can't look up a basic business location.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I like (and bought) the nav option for the reasons I mentioned above, but I agree with RICHDAV that the nav system itself is basically crap.

Any nav system where I can't type in "Wal-Mart" and end up at the local Wal-Mart is basically crap. Period. The Eclipse AVN system I have in my 1992 Supra is 1 billion times superior. And no amount of voice dialog, 3D rendered buildings, and in-car integration in the new 3G will fix the fact that I can't look up a basic business location.
So you have experience of the 3G MMI then?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
So you have experience of the 3G MMI then?
Admittantly no, but I've asked my salesperson about the details, as well as have read the reviews online.

There's still no broad spectrum alphabetical POI search, and POI still does not include basic business listings, only the ones that fall under the provided 'categories', of which "store" is not a part of.

I would love to be wrong. I will go check out the Q5 when it comes out specifically for this reason.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Inside the car, hill hold and phone prep
Outside the car, the 19" Y alloys

Wish I got the xenon lights

·
Registered
31 Posts
My wife insisted on remote heating - I reluctantly agreed - now its used everyday! Although its not too cold, it is so nice to step out into the morning darkness and into a frost free warm car! Hands down a luxury worth having.

Second - 3GMMI/Nav with AMI- love it.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Parking Sensors

... ordered the parking plus... best £300 I ever spent. I have so much more confidence manouevering my baby close to objects with the additional help of the 'bleeps' ! A respray for a scraped bumper would be at least £300, so I'd say it's great value.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Remote heating only available in certain markets

My wife insisted on remote heating - I reluctantly agreed - now its used everyday! Although its not too cold, it is so nice to step out into the morning darkness and into a frost free warm car! Hands down a luxury worth having.
Too bad that option is not available in all markets. It sounds great! I think you're in one of the few parts of the world that actually has that as an available option on the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When i ordered the my A5, ofcourse it was the engine (3.0TDI). Then i swanted S-Line interior and exterior and a nice set of wheels, after that the total price talked. =)

But i miss one feature, on board computer in color! GRRRR... i missed to order that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good: Cruise Control / LEDs (brighter and look great!)

Not Sure: Tyre pressure monitor - I'm hoping it would tell me if I get a puncture / flat tyre over time but not sure it works like that! Adaptive headlights - cant see the difference between them and normal Zenons, and I've done 4.5k since getting the car!

Glad I didnt get: Hill Hold - In hindsight, I just cant see how it would come in useful. I see nothing wrong with the electro-mechanical brake that auto dis-engages when you move off?!

Wish I'd got: S-Line Package / Upgraded to a Quattro model. Interior light package would have been useful too.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Good: Cruise Control / LEDs (brighter and look great!)

Wish I had cruise now! Agree re LED's they were standard on my car BUT are they worth the extra cost.. not sure!

Not Sure: Tyre pressure monitor - I'm hoping it would tell me if I get a puncture / flat tyre over time but not sure it works like that! Adaptive headlights - cant see the difference between them and normal Zenons, and I've done 4.5k since getting the car!

HAve had TPM on previous cars and we have on 2 other family cars. IMHO it is great. Adaptive lights are great driving down country lanes at night... not sure I'd bother again though

Glad I didnt get: Hill Hold - In hindsight, I just cant see how it would come in useful. I see nothing wrong with the electro-mechanical brake that auto dis-engages when you move off?!

Hill hold is less hastle. Good value for £30-40

Wish I'd got: S-Line Package / Upgraded to a Quattro model. Interior light package would have been useful too.
Nice exterior bits, dull inside IMHO..... I just love QUATTRO.... ILP useful in the dark!:)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hill Hold is brilliant and only £45
LED DRL's & Xenons make the car, even as a £775 extra that I paid for.
19" Y's look cool as does Phantom Black.
Also Iv'e just paid £55 for the chromed exhaust trims. It looks sooooo much better at the back now

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Hey RichDav, whats up?

do you have any pics of ur A5?

I just ordered an A5 2.0T FSI (211 ps), s-line, same interior, same rims, but phantom black!
Is yours an S- line? Any pics?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts