Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

Registered
Planning my next retrofit.... Folding and dimming wing mirrors and the memory seat buttons... Just waiting for the final bits to arrive....

Probably spent more than its worth, but hey, I've nothing better to do with my time and money...
Tony,
That will actually be a great little project. Let us know how it all goes. Folding mirrors are actually a nice luxury. Are there a lot of parts required for these two retrofits? Have you ordered oem parts or used third party kits?

Registered
Restricted, why not mix it up a little and wash the car for a change? 馃槀
I鈥檝e been out in this cracking spell of weather for a run in the RS for ice-cream. Well worth it.
you know what, it鈥檚 been bloody ages since I washed the car..... that鈥檚 tomorrow鈥檚 job sorted....

what flavour ice cream?

Registered
you know what, it鈥檚 been bloody ages since I washed the car..... that鈥檚 tomorrow鈥檚 job sorted....

what flavour ice cream?
The ice cream was the shops own recipe, original I think they call it. Absolutely beautiful. Any excuse just now really to break out the RS 馃憤 Away to settle down with a beer and watch what Jayemm has to say about the b9 RS on YouTube:

Registered
Jayemm鈥檚 summary, the old RS 鈥渨as a really truly magical thing鈥... the new one is 鈥渆ffective鈥. I鈥檇 fully agree but I鈥檓 biased so definitely not an impartial view from me.

Registered
Tony,
That will actually be a great little project. Let us know how it all goes. Folding mirrors are actually a nice luxury. Are there a lot of parts required for these two retrofits? Have you ordered oem parts or used third party kits?
Found all the bits second hand. For the folding mirrors, you need the mirrors the control units, switch and trim plus the ones I got have the dimming option (which my car only has the interior option for this), so I need to make a harness to go from the interior mirror to both doors. All in without the harness was 拢300, so pleased with that. I'm trying to see in anyone makes a harness to go to the mirrors to save me some effort.

For the memory seats as mine is the coupe, it has the module already so just needed the switch and the door trip, all in 拢70 off ebay. There is also a harness needed, which I either have to make or source one. I found what I thought was the correct one, but unfortunately that not right.

Will take a few weeks to get all the bits and then install, I'll update my build thread with the details....

Registered
Jayemm鈥檚 summary, the old RS 鈥渨as a really truly magical thing鈥... the new one is 鈥渆ffective鈥. I鈥檇 fully agree but I鈥檓 biased so definitely not an impartial view from me.
It's funny, even though I have the 3.0 V6 in my S5, in the RS I think I would much prefer the V8, so much more character

Registered
Tony, finding all that parts second hand is brilliant and for 拢300 I鈥檇 say that鈥檚 fantastic. Defo interested in hearing about the finished products. Keep us posted with your progress and photos. 馃憤

Registered
Pulled out the backseat just to take a look at the fuel filter location. Surprisingly easy, although some plastic clips cracked and broke.

Car's up to 85K soon, so will probably need to change the fuel filter in the next year or so.

While the seat was out, I put a layer of sound/heat insulation. The car has always been very quiet. But now I think the bass sounds a bit nicer on my non-premium stereo. When I added the insulation to the doors of my A3, it made a huge difference in road noise.

Registered
What sound matting are you using? I want to add some to me doors when I have the door cards off
My driver's door card has a couple of broken clips so it rattles a lot during bassy songs - was thinking about getting some dynamat for it but wasn't sure if it'd be worth it - if it's rattling because of a broken clip I wasn't sure Dynamat would be the answer. Have been looking on ebay for a replacement card but they all seem to have the odd broken clip :cautious:

Registered
Dynamat is quite expensive so was wondering if there were other alternatives which were as good....

Can you not just replace the clips? I've ordered some of these expecting to break some when I take the door card off

Registered
Dynamat is quite expensive so was wondering if there were other alternatives which were as good....

Can you not just replace the clips? I've ordered some of these expecting to break some when I take the door card off
It looks like before I got the car, the window regulator broke and whoever took the door card off for that just pulled it off without properly releasing the clips. Those clips you linked to clip into the door, and then go into the door and it's the parts on the door card that hold them which are broken unfortunately.

Registered
To add to my little mods, I have now added Helmholtz chambers to my X-pipe. So now I have non res downpipes, X-pipe with Helmholtz chambers and DIY valved back boxes. It was a bit boomy around 2krpm and the Helmholtz are like magic! Basically, you can have a straight pipe without the boom or drone as the Americans say.

Registered
To add to my little mods, I have now added Helmholtz chambers to my X-pipe. So now I have non res downpipes, X-pipe with Helmholtz chambers and DIY valved back boxes. It was a bit boomy around 2krpm and the Helmholtz are like magic! Basically, you can have a straight pipe without the boom or drone as the Americans say.

View attachment 177902
Great skills man, I'm in a world of envy at your achievements.

Are you planning to support the new Chambers weight somehow?

Registered
Pulled out the backseat just to take a look at the fuel filter location. Surprisingly easy, although some plastic clips cracked and broke.

Car's up to 85K soon, so will probably need to change the fuel filter in the next year or so.

While the seat was out, I put a layer of sound/heat insulation. The car has always been very quiet. But now I think the bass sounds a bit nicer on my non-premium stereo. When I added the insulation to the doors of my A3, it made a huge difference in road noise.
Findalex, are these the clips that broke from removing your rear bench? Mine broke as well but I purchased a replacement pair from eBay.

Attachments

Registered
Reactions: savs and Mickjane

Registered
Reactions: Jeebsy

Registered
What sound matting are you using? I want to add some to me doors when I have the door cards off
I used these foam and foil duct insulation: Duct Wrap | Frost King庐 Weatherization Products

I get them from my local Lowe's hardware store for $18 bucks. Enough for the whole back seat. I put these on my A5 passenger's door also, but since the A5 was already very quiet, I can't really tell the difference. That is why I haven't decided if I want to do the driver side door also.

Findalex, are these the clips that broke from removing your rear bench? Mine broke as well but I purchased a replacement pair from eBay.
Yup, the brittle black plastic pieces inside pretty much shattered. Since nobody really sits back there, I just wedged some foam insulation (see above) around the backseat metal frame part and stuck in back in. So far so good, no rattle or noise.

Registered
Great skills man, I'm in a world of envy at your achievements.

Are you planning to support the new Chambers weight somehow?
Hi Azwad, Thank you! Those chambers are specifically sized to target 100 to 110hz range, the low boom tone.

They are empty and not weighty, I did think about adding a support at the end of the canister, but the weld around the neck is strong so it more than supports it's own weight. :)

81 - 100 of 131 Posts