Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking around this (awesome) site for a while, but I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my order and figured I should finally start posting.

I'm trying to decide between an A5 S-Line and S5, and one of the few reasons I might not go with the S5 might be the mileage.

My current commute is 80+ miles per day so I'm a bit sensitive to MPG, but at least the drive is almost all highway and with minimal traffic. So I hope I might be able to achieve something near the 24 mpg estimate for the tiptronic S5. If that's the case, 2mpg less than the A5 probably isn't too big a deal.

I would assume that given the S5's power I wouldn't need to drive it too aggressively to cruise at 80mph. I bet I would be more likely to push the A5 a bit harder and keep it in sport mode more often, so that might reduce the A5 mileage a bit.

Are people with tiptronic S5s able to get close to the estimated 24mpg on highway drives? Particularly when you're cruising (versus a more spirited drive)?

If the difference in mileage isn't meaningful I will probably end up going for the S5. But If I have to fill up every other day I might just end up going with the A5 S-Line (which I could definitely be happy with if the S5 is just way too impractical).

·
Registered
40 Posts
i travel alot between fort campbell, ky and birmingham, al. the distance is about 250 give or take. last trip including a little city driving i got 275 miles. ive only got 2500 miles on my s5 though. hopefully itll get better.

also forgot...this is with me going around 80 on cruise most of the time...

·
Registered
384 Posts
6500 on my S5

Gets about 22 MPG average. Can't really be scrutinizing on MPG with this car since gas is just $2 a gallon now.

·
Registered
491 Posts
my car has less than 700 miles on it and on the highway iv been getting above 20. btw which dealership u getting ur car from?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Drive my tiptronic long distances every week, 10-20 mile journeys 17-20mpg. longer drives 26-27mpg, best ever on a long drive was 30+ mpg :D

·
Registered
642 Posts
got 5400 on mine, it is not tip, but in 6th gear at 65mph i get 19.......if your gunna buy a gun you gotta make sure you can afford the bullets

·
Registered
435 Posts
got 5400 on mine, it is not tip, but in 6th gear at 65mph i get 19.......if your gunna buy a gun you gotta make sure you can afford the bullets
I live in NYC Area, have 15000 miles on my manual, and I get 24 MPG when I cruise at 65. I have gotten 27 MPG when I set the Cruise to 55 MPH on a 60 mile trip on I-95 from CT to NJ.

I get 19 MPG overall though when I average in all the city and other highway driving.

I could probably get it to 20 if I was more careful around town.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts