Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read some conflicting messages on what the speed is governed to. In some articles it says the S5 is speed limited to 130 mph here in the US. When I check the Audi USA website it looks like the S5 and other S models have a top speed limited at 155 mph. Anyone know the true scoop? :confused:

·
Registered
318 Posts
USA specs say 130mph but I've had my S5 up to 140mph on the Autobahn before shipping it to the USA. Not sure why or how, but I got it there. I wasn't there long though because of the low miles on the odometer...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I got my S5 going 162 mph in Germany (said 261 km/h on center display, neelde was on 270 km/h approx). I was probably around 6500 rpm only, and the car could have gone more, but the electronic limiter did in fact kick in to limit speed.

A previous S4 i had a few years ago (a V8 also) topped out at 285 km/h (177 mph), and it seemed the limiter was not active then.

I did this on the straight between Saarbrucken and Kaiserslautern, very early in the morning - big straight line, with no speed limit, and usually going 200km/h before getting into the straight.

The car actually doesn't mind the speed at all, not shaky, not light on the front end, no noise or vibration.... Other than that, I drove it at 220-240 km/h (140+ mph) over 40-50 miles during that trip without any consideration that it was an issue. Maybe I'm used to driving those speeds in Germany ( have been going there for the last 15-20 years) - but speed in the S5 is really a non issue up to 150 mph, thereafter, still not an issue, its just the risk of being able to react to traffic 1/2 a mile ahead without slamming on your brakes at that speed....

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
electronically limited to 155mph in UK.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have spoken with the guys at APS in Brackley today (www.autops.co.uk), and they are close to releasing an ECU tweak that will disable to 155 limiter...if you can find anywhere in the UK (without going to Millbrook) to test it though I'd be impressed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Honestly, i wish the speed limiter was deactivated, just to say I drove 180 mph in my S5. In actual fact, there are few options to hit 150 mph on roads, and the S5 is not a track car. I would spend the money on something else, other than pushing the car once, you can never use it - too much traffic. If you drive fast, very rarely will you be over 140mph..... except in Germany, and even there, traffic is the worst.

·
Registered
318 Posts
S5 owners in France and UK are lucky to not have our the relatively low 130mph USA speed limitation. Even if we can't use it, it would be nice to have the 'ability' :)

In the U.S. there really isn't any room to drive that fast and we have to risk a "reckless driving" citation by the State Highway Patrol which could put us in Jail for the night if we're caught going more than 25mph over the speed limit.

USA specs say 130mph but I've had my S5 up to 140mph on the Autobahn before shipping it to the USA. Not sure why or how, but I got it there. I wasn't there long though because of the low miles on the odometer...

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have spoken with the guys at APS in Brackley today (www.autops.co.uk), and they are close to releasing an ECU tweak that will disable to 155 limiter...if you can find anywhere in the UK (without going to Millbrook) to test it though I'd be impressed.
Is this just a de-limiter remap or does it aim to improve the performance or driveability overall? MTM offer the same thing but I dont think its worth doing in view or wnrrnty implications just for use in Germany.
APS are great BTW, I used them when I had an R32.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.