Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just curious to what gas stations are people filling up that own an a5/s5?
Do you notice a difference in gas mileage from different suppliers?

Shell
Petro Canada
Esso

·
Registered
948 Posts
I go to Shell or Chevron. They're often regarded as the best gasoline brands in Canada. I'd stay away from Esso, and save Petro Canada for winter use (their additives work better when it's cold).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I go to Shell or Chevron. They're often regarded as the best gasoline brands in Canada. I'd stay away from Esso, and save Petro Canada for winter use (their additives work better when it's cold).

Thanks for the heads up. I normally use Petro Canada. I'm gonna try Shell.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Shell

·
Registered
812 Posts
Petro or Shell. Depends which one is closer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had been using Esso because I like their Speedpass but tried Shell last night. Insert credit card, pre-authorize amount, insert loyalty program card ... this could get really tedious when paying at the pump! I might stick with Esso for convenience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i stick to shell or husky
i know too many people that use petrol and get crazy amounts of engine knock

·
Registered
26 Posts
Primarily I use PC's Ultra 94, after that Shell's 91 Octane. Seems to run better on the Ultra 94, but that might just be the winter juice they add.

·
Registered
619 Posts
It's interesting to see you guys over the pond use 91octane quite happily and yet over here we use 95 or 98 octane and if anything less than 98 octane is used in an S5 it will immediately self destruct ........... Apparently... ��

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
It's interesting to see you guys over the pond use 91octane quite happily and yet over here we use 95 or 98 octane and if anything less than 98 octane is used in an S5 it will immediately self destruct ........... Apparently...

Haha I genuinely haven't put anything but V Power in my S5 due to this forum....think I'm going to go crazy and put in the standard stuff next week...use the £5 I save an buy a KitKat...

Reactions: Audi Bairn

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
It's interesting to see you guys over the pond use 91octane quite happily and yet over here we use 95 or 98 octane and if anything less than 98 octane is used in an S5 it will immediately self destruct ........... Apparently... ��

Same here in Oz. 95 octane minimum, and 98 octane preferred. Shell V-Power 98 is all that goes in my tank. I don't know about "self destruct", though there's a noticeable difference between running 95 and 98. I know the cars here definitely perform very poorly on 91 - detonation, rough idle, mis-fires, you name it. But, it IS interesting that there's such a big difference. I wonder if anyone has done any back-to-back performance testing between US/Canadian cars and Euro spec ones.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
With mine being tuned if I put anything less than 98 in I can not boot it according to MRC as its tuned for the good stuff so only the good stuff goes in it. V Power mostly but Im not against Momentum at all and as it is only in my tank for 4 days its no issue as I don't get the loss from it after 7 days.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Haha I genuinely haven't put anything but V Power in my S5 due to this forum....think I'm going to go crazy and put in the standard stuff next week...use the £5 I save an buy a KitKat...
Same here in Oz. 95 octane minimum, and 98 octane preferred. Shell V-Power 98 is all that goes in my tank. I don't know about "self destruct", though there's a noticeable difference between running 95 and 98. I know the cars here definitely perform very poorly on 91 - detonation, rough idle, mis-fires, you name it. But, it IS interesting that there's such a big difference. I wonder if anyone has done any back-to-back performance testing between US/Canadian cars and Euro spec ones.
With mine being tuned if I put anything less than 98 in I can not boot it according to MRC as its tuned for the good stuff so only the good stuff goes in it. V Power mostly but Im not against Momentum at all and as it is only in my tank for 4 days its no issue as I don't get the loss from it after 7 days.
Interestingly enough I have only run mine on the cheapo ASDA stuff since day one and I can happily say that after 3000 miles it seems perfectly happy even with the DTUK box fitted and although probably down on power compared to using the expensive stuff it still seems pretty nippy >:)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Don't forget that over the pond they use AKI not RON,
so roughly 91 AKI = 95 RON

Differences between UK and USA fuel

USA uses (AKI) Anti-Knock Index
87 (Regular gas), 89 (Plus gas) or 92 (Premium gas)

UK uses (RON) Research Octane Number
95 (regular), 99 (premium)

87 AKI = 91.6 RON
89 AKI = 93.4 RON
91 AKI = 95.0 RON
92 AKI = 96.0 RON
95 AKI = 99.0 RON

Give or take;
the UK regular fuel is the US premium.
the UK premium fuel is the US race fuel, so the price difference isn't as wide as people think.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts