Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title what fuel are you guys using?

It says in the new EVO car magazine that the S5 is not so good on the 95RON fuel and just wondered how many of you guys pay more for the 97RON fuel.

We could turn this into a poll.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Poll would be agood idea. WHen I had a petrol card, I used 97 RON (super plus UL) in my a6, but them moved to 95... couldn't say catagorically that I could tell the difference... I thought I did and swithced back for a bit, but wasn't sure of the difference, so stuck with 95.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I only ever put Shell V Power (rated at 98RON) in our S5 & RS4. Never compared it to standard 95RON, however after spending so much on a high performance car, I want the best performance out of it.

The difference in pence per litre seems irrelevent when spending £50k on a car.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I use Shell Vpower. Like Nipper, the cost is worth it.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I've just changed over to diesel, so perhaps my .02p worth is a bit obsolete, but I did go through a brief period of putting nothing but V-Power (Optimax as was) in my S4, however I soon decided it wasn't worth it.

Sadly my nearest Shell garage is on a main dual carriageway, so their regular unleaded was around 5 to 6p per litre more expensive than Tesco (the cheapest around here - I know, shopping at Tesco makes me the Son of Satan, but hey, it's cheap!).

Once you factor in another 6p per litre for the V-Power, that becomes 12p per litre more. Considering I was filling my S4 at least twice a week (and sometimes more) that equates to £7.20 per 60 litre tank more for the fuel, and I don't think the (very slight) performance increase was worth that much.

That all adds up to around £70/month or £840/year more for Shell V-Power than for Tesco's regular unleaded. Too rich for me sadly, although I'm fairly convinced by the arguments about it probably being better for the engine etc.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Here in the US we use a different method. Our fuel is 91 octane minimum and I have 1 station (BP) that has 92. I have seen no difference in the S5 using either fuel. However with the STi there was a difference as it was tuned to run on the 92 from BP.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Here in the US we use a different method. Our fuel is 91 octane minimum and I have 1 station (BP) that has 92. I have seen no difference in the S5 using either fuel. However with the STi there was a difference as it was tuned to run on the 92 from BP.
Wow, seems pretty low rating on the fuel over there. In the UK, standard is 95 RON, with most super unleaded being 97 or 98 for V-Power or BP Ultimate. However Tesco's have the highest commonly available at 99 RON, and it's also the fuel that's supplied to the British Rally Championship, so should be good, although I never used it in my S4.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
It is a different system 91 roughly equals 95RON. Our formula is RON+MON/2.
Oh, Ok - that makes more sense. Our MON maximum is 86, I believe. That would make our Tesco 99 RON come out at 92.5 on the US system.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Here where I live fuel is 87, 89, 91 with BP being 92. Other areas of the country get 93 in their premium/ ultimate fuels. Some states CA and CO get really crappy (performance) gas in the winter trying to help clean up polution. Most of our stuff has 10% ethanol in it also. This hurts performance for most situations. (it can be better on turbo cars fighting detonation).

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
V-Power all the way. BP Ultimate doesnt compare.

Used to use V-Power on the Alfa, and now with the A5 I use V-Power Diesel.

·
Registered
231 Posts
my personal experience and opinion gives the following.

any normal 95RON fuel, (shared with most stations in the UK, whichever brand you buy)- lower power, average fuel consumption.

Shell V Power- car is definitely faster than all other fuels, engine feels more peaky, fuel consumption takes a hit

BP Ultimate- Car is faster than with 95 RON but slower than V power. fuel consumption improves by around 7-9%.

i read somewhere however that fuel deteriorates the longer it is left in the tank. so always best to buy from a busy petrol station

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yep here in Denver best I can get is 91 I can get 104 oct. at Sinclair it's over
$6 a gal. last time I looked.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
99 Octane from Tesco is suppose to be best from a number of fuel tests I've read in the past.

Here is one test:-
http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/tuning/Fuel_Test_Results.shtml

Rab which shell garages in Glasgow now have V-Power Diesel?
There's a big one on London Road, near the start of the M74, that has it. It has 2 pumps.

According to a chemical-dude-person I know, V-Power Diesel is only a few "cetane points" above normal diesel, so it shouldn't make a difference. But in my personal opinion, it does make a difference with the 3.0TDI.

·
Registered
677 Posts
i read somewhere however that fuel deteriorates the longer it is left in the tank. so always best to buy from a busy petrol station
This is definitely true. The main reason is to help eliminate the water that comes out of their tanks and into yours. A busy station keeps this mixed up and going back out the door.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts