Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've seen it mentioned on a few threads but i still don't know exactly what i've optioned, it just seemed like a good idea because it was cheap and might help my transition from an automatic to a manual (haven't done a hill start in many yeras lol).

can anyone explain in basic terms?

·
Registered
275 Posts
From what i've understood, the hill hold assist is a system that automatically applies a braking force to the car, so long as the car is in neutral or the foot is off the gas. This keeps the car from moving forwards or backwards when on a slope ( whether slight or steep). We in EUrope are used to manuals, but for audi to expand their market with a manual (and possibly even attract more woman drivers) this is convenient to help start up hills ( like in San Francisco), and avoid small fender benders due to lack of paying attention at intersections..... and even more so, a safety feature for pedestrians. From what i've read, it must be activated once at each start of the car in order to function.

hope this helps, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but i think this is right.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that, so (excuse the following), can i assume if you were on a hill and had the handbrake applied. that with this you can apply the hill hold assist, take off the handbrake and then move off at your leisure without any chance of rolling backwards?

or can it also be applied as 'on permanent' so when you get to a hill you can use clutch pedal but not roll back without having to apply handbrake?

·
Registered
275 Posts
yes to both - but consequently the hand brake becomes useless on moderate hills ( as it automatically applies once you are at a standstill). so your second idea is more realistic.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have it on my S15, and basically it automatically applies the parking brake whenever the car comes to a holt, and releases (again automatically) when you pull away.
You have to turn the function on for it to work, as the default setting is for it to be turned off. Bit of a bummer if you've fogotton to turn it on, and expect the car not to roll backwards the first time you stop on a slope.
It's also a bit severe when it releases, and so, after less than a month's ownership I've got bored with it I don't bother with relying on it anymore.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Bit of a bummer if you've fogotton to turn it on,
If you like it, then you can default it to be on.

I had something similar in my Jaguar and its great. If you have had an automatic in the past or prefer automatics but are now going manual, then it really has to be a must have option.

It's also a bit severe when it releases
It's a knack of using it. It can be a bit of launch but it is possible to ease it in for a bit of smoothness.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can't default it to be on. The manual states that it has to be activated manually on each start up for safety reasons.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have seen some say it can be defaulted on and some say it cannot. There seems to be a few things like this where you visit two forums and get two different messages.

For safety reasons I would have thought having it manual was a greater risk as you may have forgotten to activate it and promptly roll back into a crossing pedestrian or the car behind.

·
Registered
128 Posts
doubledoom, please let me know how the default can be set to 'ON' because I can't find out how to do this.....and you can't 'ease it in for a bit of smoothness' because it's simply an automatic ON/OFF switch. With a manual parking brake, if you're on the flat, or facing downhill, you can release the hand brake before starting to release the clutch, but with Hill Hold Assist, the brake will not release until the car senses that you're trying to pull away, and there's always a small jerk as it lets the brakes off.
Don't get me wrong, it's not a big problem, just that I rarely bother with it now.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
doubledoom, please let me know how the default can be set to 'ON' because I can't find out how to do this
Dont know. I have read in places that it can be turned on as default in other places it cannot. Im starting to realise that there are a few things like this where there is misinformation and assumptions based on other models or dealer opinions which arent necessarily correct.

and you can't 'ease it in for a bit of smoothness' because it's simply an automatic ON/OFF switch.
I cant speak the S5 yet as I havent got mine yet but I had it on my Jag and the launch was effected by how much power you applied. Quickly applying the power was a pretty sharp launch. Easing the power kept it smoother.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
it's a waste of money, really. You've got an electronic parking brake, which will release as soon as you start to move.

An extra £45 or so for being relatively lazy and not putting the parking brake on while stopped on a hill. When you think of the effort put into it, if you've got to activate it upon every start, you may as well just use the electronic parking brake!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dont know. I have read in places that it can be turned on as default in other places it cannot. Im starting to realise that there are a few things like this where there is misinformation and assumptions based on other models or dealer opinions which arent necessarily correct.

I cant speak the S5 yet as I havent got mine yet but I had it on my Jag and the launch was effected by how much power you applied. Quickly applying the power was a pretty sharp launch. Easing the power kept it smoother.
It cannot be set to be on automatically. I have it and you need to turn it on every time you start the car. I previously had a Touareg, where it was factory set permanently on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts