Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Hate it

Votes: 31 81.6%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about winter tires and wheels, and the combination I'm currently considering is Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's (225/50x17) on OZ Ultraleggeras. I'm thinking 17's as I get a fair amount of snow and like a narrower track and higher sidewall. I'm interested in feedback, and especially experience with OZ wheels.

Here's a photo of what they might look like-Tirerack uses an S5, but I have an A5.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
There only for winter so I think they would do the job, when you drop down to 17s they are always going to look a little odd, but the its function over form you need to look at in this case.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Too small for my taste...

A friend of mine have them in a Seat Leon FR TDI and they look small even on that car.

Anyway, if you want a 17" wheels for winter tires that's not a bad choice...

Nevertheless, I don't really understand why you want a 17" wheels with 225-50 winter tires for your A5 when I've been using during all last winter my S-line 18" with 245-40/18 Vredestein Wintrac Xtrem tires and I could go up and down on very snowy mountains without any problems.
Maybe the point is that in Alberta the amount of snow you have there in winter is huge...

For your information I do skiing between 45 and 50 days a year, so I didn't use the winter tires ocassionally but every weekend and a week in the Swiss Alps...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I would not go with a 17" wheel for this car, winter or not. The car just has too much mass and will look wholly unproportioned with wheels smaller than 18"....

·
Registered
491 Posts
agree with what everybody else says. 17s are way too small. i think you can go up to 18s and im pretty sure they will be able to do the job. when you have quattro and a good set of winter tires on the only thing that can stop this car would prob just be the ground clearance.

·
Registered
821 Posts
the 17's just look So Wrong, it would be a shame to ruin the look of the car !!!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Photos of 17" wheels on A5

Here are a few examples to see for yourself just how out of place 17" wheels can potentially look on the A5. Some wheel designs work better than others.

Then again, your main goal is function over form... with the snow and all.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
17" look so small on the A5

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm glad I asked! I'll stick with the 18's and see if I can find a narrower tire to fit. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Here are a few examples to see for yourself just how out of place 17" wheels can potentially look on the A5. Some wheel designs work better than others.

Then again, your main goal is function over form... with the snow and all.

·
Registered
536 Posts
It seems that 17s fit on an A5, but do they fit on an S5?

Anyways, I would also agree, especially since you are getting some nice rims, to get them in 18" size, unless you are only going to use them in the deep snow for only a few months or so.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I don't believe 17's will fit on the S5, due to the diameter of the brakes.

Have a look at how close your brake calliper is to the inside of your 19" wheel, it would be worth measuring to make sure.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Why not buy a new set of 19"s for the summer and use your current ones as the winter set..... :cool:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why not buy a new set of 19"s for the summer and use your current ones as the winter set..... :cool:
I've thought about that several times, but in the end I'm reluctant to use 19"s as I live on a gravel road, and the roads around me are not in great shape. I think the ride would be a little too harsh for my passengers/family. My dealer has some winter tires on 18"s that I'm going to take a look at next weekend.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That wheel is a great wheel. I had it on my s4 in an 18 and black. OZ is a great wheel IMO. I thought about putting them on my s5 but wanted to go with something bigger and with a lip.

·
Registered
470 Posts
f**k 17's, f**k 18's, get 22's w/ low profile tires for the winter. That will do the job better than any pansy 17/18' wheels.:p

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Here is the image of A5 with OZ Ultralleggera 18''.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
FYI: If you get the winter audi special (rims + wheels) its 17 inch 5 spoke and 225/50/17 bridgestone ws-60

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is the image of A5 with OZ Ultralleggera 18''.
Thanks for the photo! Is that Suzuka Grey?

In the end, I'm going with a set of 18" OEM wheels from the dealer. Now that the Canadian dollar has slipped against the US, shipping, duty and exchange makes the OZ wheels just about the same cost as the OEM's, and so the convenience of getting them from the dealer makes it worth it. Pics in a couple weeks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts