Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks and HNY!

Just clocked up 4,300 miles in my A5 2.0 TFSI Quattro and the management system is advising me to add at least 1 lt of oil – WTF??!! :eek: Phoned my local Audi Service Manager and he was not surprised as the 2.0 TFSI engine uses oil at this rate and so do the diesels, apparently.

My monthly mileage is likely to increase from February whereby I'll be covering about 3,000 miles a month (typical after I moved away from diesel!) and I’m not happy about the prospect of putting a ltr of oil in every 5 - 6 weeks - at my cost! :mad:

In 25 yrs of driving company cars I have NEVER been advised by the management system to put oil in any car I driven - where does it go??!! :confused:

Any one else experienced this?

Cheers
Addy

· Registered
3,921 Posts
My S5 used just under 2 litres in the first few 1000's, dealer told me this is normal and that it probably will be fine once completely run in. Glad to say not a drop required since prehaps expect similar on other engines?

· Registered
1,430 Posts
Audi engines are known to be oil guzzlers. On my S3 it hardly ever needed a top up of oil. Its was remapped too. Where as other S3 owners were adding a nearly a litre every 100 miles. Some engine drink others dont. Even though they may be the same engine.

· Registered
6,346 Posts
I'm on 3k+ and MMI still shows full. BUT Audis do have a reputation as oil eaters for first 10k miles.

· Registered
53 Posts
Very normal for a car to go through a quart or two first 5 km -10 km. My BMW had the same thing need 2 qts in first 8000 miles. New engines absorb oil a bit over time...seals etc.

· Registered
821 Posts
My MB350 used a couple of 1ltrs in the first Year, then it settled down to just Services... My A5 still has the Spare Oil in the Boot i was given when i got the car in July, not had to put a drop in !!!!!

· Registered
714 Posts
Audi engines are known to be oil guzzlers. On my S3 it hardly ever needed a top up of oil. Its was remapped too. Where as other S3 owners were adding a nearly a litre every 100 miles. Some engine drink others dont. Even though they may be the same engine.
Yep - better get used to it. My A3 2.0TDI used to drink a litre every 6,000 miles. Others with the same engine were topping up more frequently and others found they never needed to top up and could rely on oil changes at the standard service intervals. This disparity seemed to apply equally to 2.0TFSI engines.

I never found where the oil went - it's not like I was billowing coulds of grey/black smoke.

My A5 1.8TFSI needed to go in for a full oil change at something like 7000 miles (I think) but it's a company car so no expense to me and it means that I've never had to top it up myself despite 16,000 miles of very happy motoring.

· Registered
2,335 Posts
Hello folks and HNY!

Just clocked up 4,300 miles in my A5 2.0 TFSI Quattro and the management system is advising me to add at least 1 lt of oil – WTF??!! :eek: Phoned my local Audi Service Manager and he was not surprised as the 2.0 TFSI engine uses oil at this rate and so do the diesels, apparently.

My monthly mileage is likely to increase from February whereby I'll be covering about 3,000 miles a month (typical after I moved away from diesel!) and I’m not happy about the prospect of putting a ltr of oil in every 5 - 6 weeks - at my cost! :mad:
This is normal, and will go down the more you drive the car. But just as an observation if you do about 3000 miles a month then you will be due for you 10000 mile oil change twice in a year and a full service at 20000 miles. So in total you looking at 3 oil changes anyway in which case your going to be forking out for a lot of oil.

Personally I've now down 21,000 miles, I topped up with a litre of oil twice in the year so far with and oil change being done at 10,000 and 20,000 miles.

· Registered
143 Posts
Hello folks and HNY!

HNY everyone! Firstly, IMHO what you are experiencing seems to be within what could be said to be normal range given the car is practically still new. I believe it will settle to less by the time you reach the first oil change mark. However what I would like to draw your attention to based on my recent experience is that the meter and oil sensors can go a bit crazy under heavy frost. Mine prompted me to add oil immediately and showed only a quarter or so in the bar after being stationary for a couple of minus zero nights. The warning message just went after the engine had reached operating temps but the bar didn't go higher than half until the next morning when temp was over zero celsius and it finally settled to 3 quarters. What I am trying to say is that since our cars are not fitted with the damn stick we can't be sure right? After all it's not only about the oil level. It's also colour one can evaluate the adequacy of his car engine's oil from, right? Well just my 2p there.

Regards
George

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
..........based on my recent experience is that the meter and oil sensors can go a bit crazy under heavy frost. Mine prompted me to add oil immediately and showed only a quarter or so in the bar after being stationary for a couple of minus zero nights.
Hi folks

Thanks for all your replies.

Well, I have just been relieved of £18.95 for a litre of oil from a local Audi dealer! Not sure I want to be doing that every 5 - 6 weeks, so I hope it does settle down. Luckily, the major oil changes are covered by Hitachi Capital so no probs there.

Interestingly enough, and following on from George's post above, my bar also only reads a quarter and this started after temperature of -10c overnight, but it doesn't go out when the engine warms up, so I guess it must be right, right?

However, given my likely mileage (about 36,000 pa including private mileage) I am starting to think the 2.0 TSFI isn't the right engine for me and will look at replacing this car with a Quattro version of either a 2.0 or 3.0 TDI - any views on which might be most suitable for motorway driving e.g how do they compare (in real life) for economy, mid-range power etc?

Thanks again.
Addy

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Addy, there should have been a litre of oil in a black pouch in the boot when your car was delivered !
No Nikenike, that was the first thing I checked - it seems anywhere that the Lister Group (probably instructed by Hitachi) can save money they will!! :mad:

Cheers
Addy

· Registered
2,335 Posts
Hi folks

Thanks for all your replies.

Well, I have just been relieved of £18.95 for a litre of oil from a local Audi dealer! Not sure I want to be doing that every 5 - 6 weeks, so I hope it does settle down. Luckily, the major oil changes are covered by Hitachi Capital so no probs there.

Interestingly enough, and following on from George's post above, my bar also only reads a quarter and this started after temperature of -10c overnight, but it doesn't go out when the engine warms up, so I guess it must be right, right?

However, given my likely mileage (about 36,000 pa including private mileage) I am starting to think the 2.0 TSFI isn't the right engine for me and will look at replacing this car with a Quattro version of either a 2.0 or 3.0 TDI - any views on which might be most suitable for motorway driving e.g how do they compare (in real life) for economy, mid-range power etc?

Thanks again.
Addy
Stick with what you've got mate, diesel is costing approx 10p+ a litre more than petrol these days which reduces its cost/economy right down. The amount you would loose trading it for the diesel would be much more than the cost of running the petrol for 36,000 miles.

If you take the following:-
Assume it is 65 litre tank for each thats about 14.3 imperial gallons.

Therefore:-
Combined mpg of the 2.0 TFSi (211bhp) = 38 mpg, (38 x 14) = 532 miles a tank
Combined mpg of the 2.0 TDI (170bhp) = 45.6 mpg, (45.6 x 14) = 638.4 miles a tank
Combined mpg of the 2.7 TDI = 42.2 mpg, (42.2 x 14) = 590.8 miles a tank
Combined mpg of the 3.0 TDI = 39.2 mpg, (39.2 x 14) = 548.8 miles a tank

So lets take the 2.0 TFSI vs the 2.0TDI

You do about 36,000 miles a year -
1 tank of petrol at 82.9p a litre = £58
1 tank of diesel at 95.9p a litre = £62

2.0 TFSI will require approx 68 tanks of fuel, total for year = £3944
2.0 TDI will require approx 57 tanks of fuel, total for year = £3534

So in a year if you switched to the diesel you would only be better of £400 a year. And you will loose way more than that trading in. Also comparing with the 2.0TDI just proves that the 2.7 and 3.0TDI would be even less worth it. Trust me for the sake of £8 extra a week your better off sticking with what you've got, not to mention its a far superior engine in terms of drivability and power, 170 bhp vs 211 bhp i'll have 211 thanks.

· Registered
677 Posts
This is my first Audi. Up to 18,000 miles with no oil issues. (so far). Subaru STi engines have similar issues with using oil. My engine never used any and still doesn't (know the new owner) Others would use 1L per 1,000 miles.

It seems if you take it real easy on your engine when brand new it tended to use more oil. Perhaps a track day is in order to seat the rings completely.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.