Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The warranty on my S5 is about to expire and I have been offered an extension by Audi.

As I intend to take the car to my local garage for servicing I asked the question of Audi if I did this would it invalidate the warranty. The response I received was as follows: “Due to Block Exemption legislation, you may have your vehicle serviced at the workshop of your choosing. This will not affect the vehicle warranty, provided that the workshop uses genuine Audi parts, lubricants and approved maintenance methods.” Fair enough.

I have had the oil change done at my local garage to Audi specifications and took the invoice to my Audi dealership to have the details entered into my online service record. The dealership refused to do so stating that they cant be sure the invoice is true and accurate.

This begs the question, should I have a warranty claim would Audi raise the same issues?

It has made me now think twice about taking out an Audi warranty but I am interested if anybody else has experienced similar issues?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Not sure how it would affect your warranty, but regards the digital service record, this is where Audi will monopolise on maintaining your service history! Yes they say you can take it elsewhere so long as they use genuine parts etc, but they won't update 'their' database! I took mine off line and away from the stupidity of the digital servicing! Not sure actually of the legalities and GDPR etc as it's not really personal data, but it is in your 'ownership'.

As Tony says some Indys have access to update the digital service records, but they do bend right over and pay through the nose for the privilege!

It's a bit like you wanting your NHS medical history updating with your doctor's latest treatment, but the NHS saying they don't trust your doctor. :)

Your service history should also update on the Audi Connect in your car, so you can go through it. I would try Audi UK. Not sure if anyone has challenged Audi in regards to updating the service history as in theory, that history is the Audi service history - FASH, so if you start adding services by local garages into it, it then become part Audi history, so you can sort of see why they wouldn't want to add it. The system should be able to show services done elsewhere, but list as 'non approved Audi service'? I guess this would be the loophole they could jump through under a warranty claim!

So I would contact Audi UK to see what you can do, as there is no point in your warranty, as you say, if they are going to put a blocker on the services done elsewhere even though they say you can.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Bunch of licenced criminals. They just wanna hold you over a barrel and insist that you have your services done by them.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
@Wairds - I couldn't work out from your post if you have actually take the extended warranty or are thinking about it?

IMO taking an Audi extended warranty really ties you into continuing to use the dealer network for servicing. Yes you should be able to use 3rd party but it opens up the risk of claim refusal, and isn't the point of paying for warranty the peace of mind and security from unplanned bills? Did you get a competitive quote from a 3rd party warranty provider?

BTW I'm not sure about the new S5 but mine has been pretty reliable and I have it stressed with stage 2. If I had taken an extended warranty I would have wasted my money.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks for all your considered responses.

By pure coincidence the Audi has just failed it’s MOT on a broken rear O/S spring! Less than 3 years old and barely 10k miles! However it is still under warranty so I don’t expect there to be an issue.

I am still awaiting a 3rd party quote for the extended warranty and providing it is competitive will probably go with it. I can see Audi refusing warranty work based on the fact I have historically gone to a third party garage.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
As Dippy says, they are generally a reliable car, but as you see with most forums, you get the bad ones too and it does scare you into an extended warranty.

A broken spring claim cannot be as the result of 3rd party servicing, so you should be ok there! They might say you haven't driven it enough at only 10k miles in 3 years :D

Is yours a 69 plate then? Just double checking it has the latest rocker arms in the engine, which apparently engine were supplied with starting around mid 2018, just depends when you engine was made. I think Audi have started a recall on this now as it can lead to costly repairs. This affects the S and RS 3.0/2.9 V6. TBH I can't believe they would still design an engine with rocker arms! Reminds me of a Leyland A series engine and messing around with feeler gauges. :D

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
What do you mean? Our B8.5 engine has rocker arms.
I just always think of rocker arms as 'old technology' as oppose the cam lobe running directly on the valve tappet. Maybe it's just me and didn't realise that's how most engines are. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts