Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMW Mercedes et al used to all claim that their cars cannot be stolen without the keys. BMW even used to have a stat that no car built since 1999 had been stolen without keys.

However there is a new spate of robbery that is blighting us and may affect us A5/S5 owners because we have the fob style key slots.

Basically on another forum i frequent a guy had his new (Tracker) 2006 M5 stolen from an NCP car park. Police say they:

1. Smash the window
2. Open the bonnet (break the handle-pull cable if next to the door)
3. Smash out the airbox
4. remove panel
5. remove control unit and replace with new one
6. place new 'key fob' in ignition slot and the car is started

before you guys ask about the tracker. there is a £20 item you can buy off ebay which plugs into your cigarette lighter that stops all telephony and radio waves from transmitting in the vicinity.

basically because there is no unique barrel to start the car which a key would provide. a simple change of the key control unit is what the thieves use

· Registered
225 Posts
feckin good to know, mine is out of the car as of tomorrow!!

· Registered
165 Posts
Oh thats a bugger. I will glue my cig lighter in with a 2pac epxoy resin dont smoke anyway or disconnect it :D that will keep my tracker working for a while.

I would have thought the fob style key and the cars computer would have some way of identifying each other, and surely these cars have imoblisers on them like bike alarms? Seems a very cheap way to have a decentley priced car like this nicked! :eek:

· Registered
183 Posts
Ok, I really do not understand how they stole the car but if you are going to openly tell people that on open forums do you not think the car thieves who do not know about this method yet might be tuned in? ;)

· Registered
415 Posts
VW/Audi's most recent version of their key authorization system, "Immobilizer IV", would not permit this to work. First of all, the immobilizer computer is integrated into the instrument cluster. Second, any time a new or used unit is swapped in, the car will not respond to it until it it activated by using the PIN numbers from both the old and new modules. The thieves may know the PIN for the module they have (assuming they're equipped to pop in a whole new instrument cluster), but they won't know the code for the old unit.

There's just no way that part swapping will allow anyone to drive off in an A5.

· Registered
165 Posts
So let me get this right the theives have a new computer for the A5/S5 in their swag bag and they rip out old one put in new one and drive off in car just like that?

How do the doors open? I was sure they were locked electronically thats a pretty cramped area to get into if door not open to pull the bonnet latch and the A/S 5 doesnt flinch when its comp is ripped out and a new one replaced just like that?

Hmm seems to me I might be better of with Coco CLowns car at least his falls to bits if the criminal element get their hands on it. Seems wayyy to easy to do with a alarm/immobilser also, hell this aint the 9 year old joy riders usual tricks thats for sure.

Then to cap it all off they stop the tracker working when they plug a £20 item of ebay into ciggie lighter. You also mention this device prevents all telephony and radio waves transmitting in the vicinity? Define vicinity :)

Boy am I glad that security technology has moved on to keep up with the new wave of uber car theif.

To finish if I may quell your fears tiking
1. Do you think theives trawl the tinernet looking for tips how theive motors?
2. They will need to be carrying the said new comp and fob incase they stumble across the A/S5.
3. Have you seen how many itmes there on ebay for sale at £20 !:eek: ;)

I am not disputing this might have happened and the lawer might have described the method but jesus you need one hell of a lot of things to go right for you to pull this off. But all of the above is in jest as I find this nearly comical with the spare comp and the £20 item of Ebay lol.

· Registered
183 Posts
Sounds like a darn good movie to me...but then there are internet hackers that can break into top security computers so why not a car. Oh well, I'm not going to worry about that. The more advance things get the more savy these idiots take their job serious.

· Registered
2,046 Posts
VW/Audi's most recent version of their key authorization system, "Immobilizer IV", would not permit this to work. First of all, the immobilizer computer is integrated into the instrument cluster. Second, any time a new or used unit is swapped in, the car will not respond to it until it it activated by using the PIN numbers from both the old and new modules. The thieves may know the PIN for the module they have (assuming they're equipped to pop in a whole new instrument cluster), but they won't know the code for the old unit.

There's just no way that part swapping will allow anyone to drive off in an A5.
'
Exactly right Dave. for the last 10+ years, modules have to be 'coded' to the car. That's one of the advantages of using an electronic 'bus' (network) in the car. Also the immobiliser function is a 'fail to safe' in the ignition and fueling units. In other words they do not work unless a valid signal is sent from a coded device on the CAN bus... that's why you see so many new cars on the back of transporters. One glitch in the ECU or other related devices and they shut down until the system is diagnosed, repaired and re-set. Even the 'breakdown services' can't get these things going. It's back to a dealership.

Do you think Thatcham would approve an immobiliser system that could just be removed and replaced? I think not!

...Of course, determined 'steal to order' theives do have sophisticated means and can steal or acquire information from dealerships... but then if they can do that, they can get the codes to create clone keys!

Finally, it's easier to car-jack the guy or steal the keys from the hooks next to the front door.

· Registered
479 Posts
Finally, it's easier to car-jack the guy or steal the keys from the hooks next to the front door.
My wife is a Scenes of Crime Officer and it is very rare that she has to deal with a car theft where the car has been stolen by any means other than with the keys.
She has been to two houses where thieves have broken in to houses at night for the keys to the owners RS4s. One of them was garaged and in a Close so they must have been followed and some point as the thieves would not have known the car was there from a casual drive past. Scarey thought.

· Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
please note that i stated that this happened to a 2006 BMW M5, i thought it may possibly be a risk to us A5/S5 owners. however i am glad that some others have reason to believe we have no need to worry.

i dont think thieves look on the internet for a way to steal things and its alreay very well publicised on many other forums.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sea...ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=32&fsoo=2&fgtp=

its doesnt take a genius to find it.

· Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Some are worndering how they would actually get into the car to do this...

Can't the a5 or s5 be "code-hopped", allowing thieves to detect the radio key codes? Therefore allowing them into the car in order to get into the engine bay and to change the parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.