Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive just purchased a b8.5 s5 54 thousand miles and i want to take it on track i have never driven on track in anything 1) what track prep will i need to do to for the car 2) what do i need to do to prep for track get lessons or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
519 Posts
I guess that all depends how seriously you want to take your track sessions. If you just want the freedom of being able to stretch your cars legs in a safe (ish) environment with no speed limits then I'd say make sure your tyre pressures and condition are good, brake pads have plenty of meat on them and go and have some fun.
If you want to go balls out you'll benefit lots from a complete suspension upgrade, anti roll bars, cross brace etc, then you'll need better brakes, (Discs, pads, fluid). Then super sticky track tyres will help even more the list never ends, it all comes down to how deep your pockets are.
Also make sure your servicing is up to date and your oils, coolant etc are topped up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess that all depends how seriously you want to take your track sessions. If you just want the freedom of being able to stretch your cars legs in a safe (ish) environment with no speed limits then I'd say make sure your tyre pressures and condition are good, brake pads have plenty of meat on them and go and have some fun.
If you want to go balls out you'll benefit lots from a complete suspension upgrade, anti roll bars, cross brace etc, then you'll need better brakes, (Discs, pads, fluid). Then super sticky track tyres will help even more the list never ends, it all comes down to how deep your pockets are.
Also make sure your servicing is up to date and your oils, coolant etc are topped up.

Yeah that makes sence il start with that and see how deep the pocksts want to go cheers

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you do not do anything about the brakes (pads and fluid) be prepared to go one fast lap followed by a slow lap with engine braking, depends on track of course and how aggressive you are. And make sure you end with at least one slow lap to cool the brakes.

I also recommend experimenting with ESC in sport mode or completely off to learn how the car behaves. And learn how to swap brake pads :)

As for upgrades I would initially recommend better brake fluid and Carbotec XP8/10/12 brake pads which also works well on the street if you can stand the extra dust and some squealing.

Have fun!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you do not do anything about the brakes (pads and fluid) be prepared to go one fast lap followed by a slow lap with engine braking, depends on track of course and how aggressive you are. And make sure you end with at least one slow lap to cool the brakes.

I also recommend experimenting with ESC in sport mode or completely off to learn how the car behaves. And learn how to swap brake pads :)

As for upgrades I would initially recommend better brake fluid and Carbotec XP8/10/12 brake pads which also works well on the street if you can stand the extra dust and some squealing.

Have fun!

I was looking at green stuff pads for daily and i hear they work well on light track use
Before heading on track i was planning on doing a brake fluid flush and debating braded lines

·
Sponsor
2,383 Posts
I was looking at green stuff pads for daily and i hear they work well on light track use
Before heading on track i was planning on doing a brake fluid flush and debating braded lines

You might want something above greens on an S5. Yellows are surprisingly OK for daily driving, I've had no real issues apart from occasional squealing and dust.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might want something above greens on an S5. Yellows are surprisingly OK for daily driving, I've had no real issues apart from occasional squealing and dust.

Its the dust the stock pads are terrible for dust id would like to have some less haha ruins the 5 spoke rotas
Would green stuff just be on par with stock pads?

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Track is really fun BUT you need to ensure that you AND your car are both 100% in every aspect. U need sticky tyres, excellent brakes, firm suspension etc etc etc. Get the car checked over by a shop that know track requirements. And get yourself some instructions too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Track is really fun BUT you need to ensure that you AND your car are both 100% in every aspect. U need sticky tyres, excellent brakes, firm suspension etc etc etc. Get the car checked over by a shop that know track requirements. And get yourself some instructions too.

Yeah of course I didn’t want to blow it because it is my daily driver but i was going to take it to my shop and give it extra tlc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts