Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I currently have a IPE Exhaust fitted to my car but I noticed I have a resonator in my downpipe. My car is currently running MRC Stage 2 which is single crank pulley. My car only has 22k on the clock and I have no issues with my cats.

So my question is, do I swap out my downpipes for no res versions or do I got JHM test pipes and HFC?

Any help would be great.

This is what my car currently sounds like.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I only have non resonated downpipes with the stock exhaust and this made mine quite a lot louder, so if your aftermarket exhaust is louder than stock I should imagine it would be really loud with non res downpipes.
My dsg farts are now much bigger also.
I've no experience with test pipes sorry.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think i'm tempted to do that as its much cheaper as.

Test pipes do seem better for performance but i think its over 2.5k.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I had mine made up by my indie.
He reused the original flanges and used new flexis and straight through pipes with a slightly larger bore.
Total price-£270 all in.
I'd definitely try non res downpipes first if I were you.
👍

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had mine made up by my indie.
He reused the original flanges and used new flexis and straight through pipes with a slightly larger bore.
Total price-£270 all in.
I'd definitely try non res downpipes first if I were you.
👍
Any sound clips? Am lost what to do with my s5 b8.5 exhaust. Want it deeper but no rasp or drone. Was thinking x pipe baby res and straight pipe mid res. But you have straight piped the lot?

·
Registered
419 Posts
No. I've literally had the down pipes straight piped (apart from the bends lol). I still have the stock centre resonator and rear mufflers.
It's a deeper and louder sound inside the cab with more pronounced gear change farts when on the throttle, yet still quiet enough on a light throttle and cruising.
There is no drone.
It does sound raspy from outside below 3k rpm.
I'll try and sort some sound clips soon.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Best way to get rid of the rasp is to wrap the downpipes. This is best done with the pipes off, but I did mine with them on, just fiddly wrapping the top near the cat flange.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Best way to get rid of the rasp is to wrap the downpipes. This is best done with the pipes off, but I did mine with them on, just fiddly wrapping the top near the cat flange.
is this is stuff?

is it easy to do or would you get a company to wrap it?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Yep that's the stuff! Best to get the 1" wide roll so it goes round the bends easier. I got the 2" and it wasn't quite as neat on the bend due to the wrap width.

I used a jubilee clamp at the top as the stainless ties are a bit fiddly and you can't get them tight especially up near the cat flanges.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Jonse, it depends on what sound your looking for. Personally I think yours sounds ok and would opt for the same set up as smokey joe. I was one of the 1st people on here to buy an x pipe 2 weeks after it was released and I think they are great for someone with a std system who wants a bit more noise.
Removing the 2 front resonators in the downpipe is a good option as it will increase the sound without any drone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts