Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I got an email from my dealer last week to advise that our car will be going into production in week 25 (middle of June) which means it should be here mid-July.
Now, the question is - my dealer asked if i wanted to take the car as soon as it was ready or wait till September for the 58 plate.

I'm not sure.... but if we are going to put a private plate on it, does it really matter? What would you do???
:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I had the same dilemma back in February, take it then or wait till March. I decided to take it ASAP, I just couldn't wait. I had a private reggy too so it didn't bother me.

Even if I didn't have a private reg, don't think I would have waited anyway.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Take it ASAP. Its gonna get older and depreciate anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Is there really going to be much difference in the residual values if you wait?

If not, then just take it now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, being a chartered accountant (yawn....) the D-word is what I thought about, trying to be sensible and all that.
I am actually not really sure about how the depreciation will be affected by taking the car 6 wks before the number plates change over to 58.

It is a fight between head and heart though!!!

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
If you do take it before the 58s come out, then it's still booked in at being 6 months older than a 58 reg.

But whether there will be much difference when it comes to trade in time is still to be seen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
take it asap - you could be hit by a bus tomorrow.. hopefully not though!
I'm sure not they'll be much difference in residuals by waiting 6 weeks. Not sure I could wait 6 weeks knowing it was there ready waiting for me anyway!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
okay, perhaps not the best way of expressing myself, but basically put I'm not sure waiting would be worth it for a small potential increase in resell price...! :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys, thanks for the advice. Have gone for it and told the dealer I will pick it up as soon as its ready. I want to go for the Autoglym option but have told the dealer what I have heard about dealer-prep'd cars and said I would only take that option with their assurance that a pristine job will be done.

I also reckoned that if anything does go wrong, or it hasn't been applied properly then they will be liable to make sure that it is corrected.

It is Edinburgh Audi BTW

·
Registered
234 Posts
Jaggy , I'd give the Autoglym option a miss. My mate is a brand manager at Volkswagon and they buy these kits at next to monthing then flog the package for £200 plus , nice little earner.
IMO get a professional detailing company to do the car and tell the dealership to hand it over still wrapped, even better get the detailers to do the car at the dealership before you pick it up. This is what I did with my Q7 , was well worth it. Take a close look at the cars in the showroom and check quality of work before you let them touch your car. Better to be safe than sorry with your pride and joy than to need machine correction after being days old !

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice stitcher.
Can you tell me the name of the detailer you used and which Audi dealership you managed to arrange this with? I hadn't thought of that option but it is a very good idea. You can PM me if you prefer.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Jaggy, can I ask why you are buying from Edinburgh when the same company has an Audi dealership in Glasgow:confused: Can I also ask - are you a Partick Thistle supporter?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jaggy, can I ask why you are buying from Edinburgh when the same company has an Audi dealership in Glasgow:confused:
Well, you can read all about that below - and that is a slightly shorter and kinder version of the full story!

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthre...lly-2396/index.html?t=2396&highlight=jaggyjim

Can I also ask - are you a Partick Thistle supporter?
Hehehe, I had to think about that one!!! And no, I am not....don't support any team actually!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for the advice stitcher.
Can you tell me the name of the detailer you used and which Audi dealership you managed to arrange this with? I hadn't thought of that option but it is a very good idea. You can PM me if you prefer.
Jaggy,

I used a company called Polished Bliss , well regarded now as one of the best in Scotland if not the UK. See www.polishedbliss.co.uk
I bought the car from Aberdeen Audi. They were initially very reluctant but came round in the end and commented on the attention to detail used by these guys compared to their valet guys. They took 9 hours to prepare my car and the cost was £270, probably not too far off the Autoglym price.

What swung it for me was when I was in the showroom signing the paperwork for the Q7 and witnessed one of there car cleaners dragging an extension lead across the bonnet of a brand new TT, that did it for me !

·
Registered
292 Posts
I bought mine from Aberdeen as well. I also bought the Supaguard treatment, which at £300 is similar to Autoglym. 6 months down the line I'm totally unimpressed and have spent some time preparing and re-polishing the car myself. I had the same Supguard treatment a few years ago done by Sutton Coldfield Audi - and was very impressed on that occasion. IMO goes to show what everyone is saying - it's all about the person doing the work. If you can live without the little bag of goodies - spend your money on a professional.

BTW I'm not knocking Aberdeen Audi. Great dealership in all other respects!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I thought I was going to be in a similar dilemma to you as I was told that I may not get my Car until July/Aug time so I asked the Dealer what should I do about the whole new reg thing? He strongly advised me to wait IF the Car did turn up around the end of July/Aug time as in the long run a 58 plate car would be worth on average about £500 more than an 08 one! Fortunately for me my Car should be here around the middle of June so it's a no brainer but if it had of come around August time I may well have waited as £500 is a lot of money at the end of the day!

·
Registered
162 Posts
In the UK, the car registration date is incorporated into the licence plate number.

This changes every 6 months:
last year 07 & 57
this year 08 & 58

This could affect the speed of resale or its value, as the car is perceived as being older if it's a 'late' registration.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts