Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the order guide it lists voice under the Nav option. Anyone know if it works with the phones now too or is a VAGCOM still necessary for that?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There are two different voice control options in current MMI-based Audis: the limited phone voice control (that is included with the telephony unit) and the full speech dialogue system (which is a module inserted inside the radio unit in the boot). Obviously 2009 U.S. A5's are getting the latter, while the 2008's only had the former (and disabled for some reason because VAG COM was required). The latter can control navi, phone, radio and CD - no VAG COM required unless there is something weird going on...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
It is a relatively easy install (plus some coding etc.) since the car already has the microphone and all, so they should be able to do it - if not them, somebody else will. Kufatec.de seems to be a good place to start looking for parts if all else fails.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i have full voice control (CD NAV Phone etc) in my July 07 car so should be no problem

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
i have full voice control (CD NAV Phone etc) in my July 07 car so should be no problem
Vin, I'm curious ... how often do you really use your voice control, though. Is it one of those things you used when you first got the car, but then after the newness wore off, you no longer used that feature? If you still use it, which types of commands do you actually use on a regular?

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Good question, TX. One of those things that sounds great, but you wonder how much you'd really use it.

Exactly what phone options can you control by voice with our (VAG COM enabled) limited 2008 voice control, by the way?

If anyone with a 2008 in North America gets the new module installed, please let us know of your cost/experience.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Exactly what phone options can you control by voice with our (VAG COM enabled) limited 2008 voice control, by the way?
You can speak the individual digits of a phone number you want to dial. You can also speak a voice tag (e.g., "Call John) to have the system dial a number stored in the "directory".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts