Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Her indoors and I discovered yesterday that there is voice control on her new A5. As far as we know the last one didn't have it, but we're not 100% sure as we didn't ever try to use it. Both cars were equiped with nav & bluetooth. Does this come as standard as we didn't ask for it?

Didn't work very well though. Or maybe it was my accent it had trouble with.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
ok Jock the rock is it me or does she have a better car than you :p

yeah i have this option and also it dont quite understand me either, must be the scots accent going on.... keeps telling me to cancel so i tell her to f off... now i never use it :mad: bit of a useless option i thinks

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok Jock the rock is it me or does she have a better car than you :p

Lol. Jen I prefer to think that she has a quicker car than me, rather than a better one. :D:D:D

·
Registered
1,636 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
If the car has Bluetooth then it has limited Voice Control only for the telephone system.

For full voice control of the radio, CD, Nav system etc, you need to specify the optional Speech Dialogue System.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
All MMI based Audis (well, considering pre-3rd gen anyway) that come with Bluetooth phone-prep include two modes of voice control (either will be enabled depending on market and car settings a maintenance shop or VAG COM user can adjust):

1) Phone voice control with dialogue. Language can be selected by maintenance shop or with VAG COM. Limited speech dialogue to control phone functions.

2) "Speaker dependent" voice control without dialogue. Very limited mode that is language independent in that it only recognizes user-programmed voice tags and answers with beeps.

Only exception is some U.S. Audis that have the phone speech control disabled, but it too can be enabled with VAG COM (it is just flipping a bit on). All (current anyways) MMI phone-prep cars come with both of the above in hardware, either (or neither in some cases, e.g. if the third option below is installed) is enabled via software configuration.

Third kind is available when the car is fitted with speech dialogue system:

3) Speech dialogue system with controls for phone, radio, CD, navigation, directory. Correct language module must be installed in car, only one language fits inside the module software at a time (upgrade CD can be used to install new language). This is a module inside the radio module in trunk, very easy to retrofit too.

For the VAG COM options to configure either of the two first options here:

Interesting VAG-COM codes for Audi A5 - probably A4 B8 too, maybe A6 etc. as well
http://www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/articles/a5vagcodes.html

For retrofit instructions (A5 with navi is same as A6) for full speech dialogue system see end of this article:

Bluetooth phone prep and speech dialogue system retrofit Audi A6 (4F/C6) Avant MMI High (possibly relevant also for Q7/A8)
http://www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/articles/a6phoneprep.html

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers guys, 'n'gal.

Also discovered tonight that my 1.8 has this feature as well, which seems to work a little better than the diesel. Didn't realise before as the pictures on the steering wheel buttons are different. The TDi depicts a head with a speach bubble, whereas the 1.8 shows a kind of seriers of sound waves. Perhaps due to one having MMI and the other having AIS? The woman's voice is just as mundane on both cars though. :)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Kock the steerling wheel may have different pics but doesnt change the fact the girls win once again with a better car ;)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kock the steerling wheel may have different pics but doesnt change the fact the girls win once again with a better car ;)
OK OK, I'll give you that one Jen :):) :p

·
Registered
1,636 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The speech button picture on the steeering wheel has nothing to do with MMI vs. AIS or phone voice vs. full speech dialogue. It is a model-year pre-2009 and 2009 difference, Audi changed the long-standin sound waves picture to the talking head one for some reason (maybe it is easier to understand?).

BTW: The full speech dialogue system is extremely useful in entering navigation addresses which can otherwise be a bit of a pain with the MMI wheel...

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The speech button picture on the steeering wheel has nothing to do with MMI vs. AIS or phone voice vs. full speech dialogue. It is a model-year pre-2009 and 2009 difference, Audi changed the long-standin sound waves picture to the talking head one for some reason (maybe it is easier to understand?).

BTW: The full speech dialogue system is extremely useful in entering navigation addresses which can otherwise be a bit of a pain with the MMI wheel...
Thanks for the info loc. So what this means is that her car is a 2009 model?

If so, would that also mean it will be fitted with the lower emission engine?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thanks for the info loc. So what this means is that her car is a 2009 model?

If so, would that also mean it will be fitted with the lower emission engine?
Yes and yes.

Model-year 2009 started building calendar week 22/2008, that is end of May.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes and yes.

Model-year 2009 started building calendar week 22/2008, that is end of May.
Thanks loc. Appreciate that info.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Here is the difference in the spech button 2008 (left) vs. 2009 (right).

Interestingly though, I have seen 2009 S-lines with the old button, but those were with the S-line steering wheel (with the label and all).

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've also discovered that 2008s beep when they want fuel and 2009s ping when they want fuel.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
interesting thread - thanks Jock for making us aware.

I didnt order the full voice control but good to know that I will still get limited control for the phone.

Jock - is that your plane btw? I fly a Diamond DA40 out of Shoreham, maybe we can organise a fly/drive meet ;-)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
interesting thread - thanks Jock for making us aware.

I didnt order the full voice control but good to know that I will still get limited control for the phone.

Jock - is that your plane btw? I fly a Diamond DA40 out of Shoreham, maybe we can organise a fly/drive meet ;-)
Yea, it's a PA28-181. I've never flown the DA40 but I hear it's some bit of kit. Next time I'm near Shoreham I'll be hoping for a flight :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts