Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new at this voice control but decided to give it a try.

My cell phone is a Samsung U740 and for the most part, it syncs up the bluetooth fine.

Using the VAG-COM I just got yesterday, I'm now able to give voice commands.

I bring up my phone book so I can see my entries. I press the voice activation button and issue a command like "select name" or "call Chris" but it continues to say "the phonebook is empty".

What am I missing here? Are there additional settings in the ECU that need to be turned on?

It's clearly showing entries in the phone book via the MMI screen. I thought perhaps it needs to be stored somewhere but that didn't make sense to me unless the MMI has some storage capability and I need to store numbers there.

At one point, I said "radio" and it dialed a phone number!

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
You need to record voice tags for those numbers/names you wish to call. It is all explained in the manual - should you care to check. :)

You can read a phone number out and it will dial it i.e. '1-8-0-0 -1-2-3-4-5-6 dial' (the 'dial' may come at the beginning - I'm doing this from memory).

At least this is the required procedure on UK cars with 'phone prep low'. Your specification may vary of course.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read a bit about tags but not quite sure about the whole process.

It did recognise "help"
and it did dial numbers so I can at least dial number out loud.

Thanks. I'll try the name tags.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Again, off the top of my head from memory, it goes something like this:

1. Highlight the phone book entry you wish to tag
2. press the voice button
3. say 'store', car reponds with 'say name' or something similar
4. say the name or tag that you want
5. I think it gets repeated back to you and then you're done.

To dial a tagged entry, press the voice button, say 'select name ', car responds with 'the name please', say the name and if it is recognised, the number is dialled.

As I said at the beginning, that was all from memory and the actual procedure could differ here and there.

Have fun...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Reb!
I was having a lot of fun with my new VAG-COM so it was just an after thought; just did the DRL/LED "behaviour modification" so to speak, enabled the hidden menu feature, enabled voice control of course, and remote window operation (up and down).

VAG-COM is so much fun, I may need to update my 286 laptop!!! (yes, it's that old!)

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
I bought a VAG Com cable last week and have already done 3 cars including my own. :)

Have you got those voice tags sorted yet? ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wouldn't spend too much time on the voice tags if I were you. It all works really well if you're sat stationary buggering about with it but the minute you get moving above 40mph and try to use it in the real world you can forget about it - the background noise makes the system unable to understand anything!!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
REB:

OK, so I created voice tags "Home" "Daughter" "Neighbor"
Took awhile; couldn't do it in the "Directory", only the "Phone Book".

I could not issue the command "Call" as outlined in the manual; apparently, I have older (?) software because the only way to dial is as follows:

Me: Select name
A5: which name?
Me: Home
A5: "Home" (my recorded voice)
Me: Dial
A5: Dialing number...

This is what you described.

But the manual simply indicates to say "Call <name tag>" which would be a lot simpler.
So do I/we have just old software? Or is this somewhat of a function of perhaps how the cell phone works? The dialog sounds a bit like what I've seen on older cell phones.

But it does dial so it basically works. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
But the manual simply indicates to say "Call <name tag>" which would be a lot simpler.
So do I/we have just old software? Or is this somewhat of a function of perhaps how the cell phone works? The dialog sounds a bit like what I've seen on older cell phones.

But it does dial so it basically works. Thanks again!
The process is different depending on if the car has just phone voice control or full speech dialogue system. Check that the "Call <name"> isn't part of the full speech dialogue system? Also, check what you "help" command says is possible, that should always be accurate.

There is also a third, less known option. You can configure (via VAG COM, see the link in my signature) your car (indeed some markets ship this way) to be "speaker dependent", which means it will only accept voice tags and not speech dialogue. If your car only has phone voice control anyway, and you mostly only use it to call voice tags, this might be useful and lessen the amount of commands you have to give it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I have to try the laptimer but how do you start/stop it once activated, and really, what good is it unless you track the car? (heh, I guess I could take a trip around the block to see how long it takes to go around!)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I guess I have to try the laptimer but how do you start/stop it once activated, and really, what good is it unless you track the car? (heh, I guess I could take a trip around the block to see how long it takes to go around!)
As I understand it, it starts/stops from the trip computer up/down buttons on the window washer stalk. Holding down the reset button, I hear, changes between modes in the lap timer.

You could use it to track how long some trip takes, instead of how fast which is probably not useful (or accurate enough) for many. That might be useful. It can do multiple lap times, so you could time segments of your trip...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts