Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone in the US have Voice commands working? I use this on our Q7 but can't seem to find it on my S5? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Tell them they need to activate it at the dealer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What exactly do the commands do?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just talked to the dealer... It's called "voice control" and Audi didn't put in the S5 yet. It has the buttons but nothing behind it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The dont put it on US models but it is present on European ones. Perhaps it cannot understand American English ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just picked up my S5 today. Was gonna mention this in my review after I write it... but, yea, no voice command for me. I was reading my manual and its in there. Argghh.

Pretty much... "Button Inactive" when trying to use voice command steering wheel button.

Seems like it would be an easy add-in with a software update.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Im sure its coming soon too.

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sigh...more screw job for us! And so, the inevitable question...can it be added later via software update?

What are you complaining about. MIne is a French version, speaks french , ahas a little standard stuff, but still eneed options.

MIne cost roughly $106,000.00 - yours will be virtually the same, for almost half the price.

If you'd like, you can come buy it here for $86,000 without options, but with basic voice control functionality, and then add the options you want...... The french ones come standard with satellite tracking/localization systems due to carjacking too.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Here's what I don't get, though, S5France... just because it would be roughly $106k for an American who showed up over there with dollars and had to convert, does that really mean you are paying that much if you are already in Europe and paying with Euros or Pounds? I mean, the dollar getting its ass kicked doesn't have a thing to do with the value of a Euro or Pound to someone who gets paid in those currencies. It's like, well, we're speaking it two different languages!

And as an update on the voice control, I just checked and, yes, it still sucks that we aren't getting it here ;)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I really dislike audiworld forums. Signatures are far too long with a lot of the posters and following threads is real pain.

It would be interesting to see what other things VAG-COM can tweak as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Yeah, DD, that forum REALLY takes some getting used to, but it's a good source for info, I've found. There's now another thread about the cable and software.

Here is the company's site, if anyone is interested: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/what_to_buy.htm

I'll definitely be looking into this, especially if the 2008 runs don't have voice command in the U.S. either. Probably a lot of cool stuff you can tweak. Looks like the software is free and they get you on the cables. Though I noticed that similar cables may be selling on ebay.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I read on AudiWorld that the US Voice Controls are shut off and can be switched on without firmware updates. Below is a link with directions on how do it. It is pretty poor judgement for Audi have the capability and inactivate it for the US. Not sure what that could buy them?

http://forums.audiworld.com/a5/msgs/15930.phtml

·
Registered
273 Posts
I read on AudiWorld that the US Voice Controls are shut off and can be switched on without firmware updates. Below is a link with directions on how do it. It is pretty poor judgement for Audi have the capability and inactivate it for the US. Not sure what that could buy them?

http://forums.audiworld.com/a5/msgs/15930.phtml
For those of us who are too turned off by AudiWorld, can one of you guys who's been thre summarize what the deal is; i.e., can we upgrade somehow to make the voice commands work, but only if we follow certains steps, etc. Thx

1 - 20 of 49 Posts