Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here a small test video of the new Audi S4 with V6T (dutch, with english subtitles): click here

Is it good? Yes! Is it fast? Yes! Is it exciting? ............watch the video!

(and let's be happy with our V8 in the S5! :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Boy am I glad I got the V8!

That thing sounds shite!

I can most definately say, if the S5 had had that engine when I was looking to buy, I would have struggled to justify the extra cost over the diesel, or a smaller petrol.

The sound and the seats is what makes the S5 so special for me, and why my kids don't get to eat every day of the week, so I can pay for it! ;)

RIP V8 S4.:(

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
That thing sounds shite!

I can most definately say, if the S5 had had that engine when I was looking to buy, I would have struggled to justify the extra cost over the diesel, or a smaller petrol.

The sound and the seats is what makes the S5 so special for me, and why my kids don't get to eat every day of the week, so I can pay for it! ;)

RIP V8 S4.:(
+1

Exact same reasons I had.
For the sake of the up coming v6 s5 I hope the tuners can sort the sound out. Other than that the engine is ace.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
+1

Exact same reasons I had.
For the sake of the up coming v6 s5 I hope the tuners can sort the sound out. Other than that the engine is ace.
I agree... maybe I was unfair, the engine is mightily impressive. BUT still no 'supercar' sound like the V8... and it never will. :(

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
(sorry for the bad link, and thank Es5ive for correcting it!)

I agree with you all, and my plan to buy a S5 convertible is now also becoming less attractive...I think many V8 customers will move away now, or wait for the RS5?

Ok, I will testdrive the new S4 soon (just to see/feel/hear the new engine) and let you know.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Im in the other boat. If the S5 had the v6 when I was ordering I would have bought the S5 over the A5 S line.

I love the performance of the 4.2 V8. My last car was the A6 4.2 V8 and it was awesome. The S5 makes incredible power but it's a loves gas too much. if the S5 could of matched the ave of 18mpg like my A6

The V6T averages 24mpg and still increased the 0-60 times on the S4. Sign me up.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am sure you will love it. It will have (current) S5 speed and accelaration and the mpg figures of your A5 3.2. Enjoy!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I feel I may be heading back to petrol when I next change. If I can get 25+mpg with a V6 S5 I would be very happy... apart from the V8 noise. 15mpg is the only reason why I didn't buy a petrol V8 S5.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
15mpg is the only reason why I didn't buy a petrol V8 S5.
20mpg was one of the reasons I got myself a V8. After a Jag and V8 Land Rover getting 20mpg is really good.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I get about 23mpg from the S5 so the V6 isn't much better economy wise.
What??????????????????? How?????????????? would be my reaction if this was true, but there is no way you are getting 23mpg with the S5. Unless you spend most your time with the motor off, in neutral coasting down hills all day long.

If this isn't a crew joke, mocking those of us who wanted the S5, but bought the A5 for the fuel, could you post some screens from your Divers Information Display. Just the Ave Speed, fuel, trip.

I have driven a 4.2 V8 for the past 4 years and there is no way possible to get over the 20mpg mark. And that’s if you granny it.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
What??????????????????? How?????????????? would be my reaction if this was true, but there is no way you are getting 23mpg with the S5. Unless you spend most your time with the motor off, in neutral coasting down hills all day long.

If this isn't a crew joke, mocking those of us who wanted the S5, but bought the A5 for the fuel, could you post some screens from your Divers Information Display. Just the Ave Speed, fuel, trip.

I have driven a 4.2 V8 for the past 4 years and there is no way possible to get over the 20mpg mark. And that’s if you granny it.

...Guys, I think the difference lies in the fact that the American gallon is smaller than the rest of the world! 1 US gallon = 0.83 Imperial gallon

Using English Gallons, the S5 returns 25mpg on a run and 19mpg in urban routes - which in US terms would be 20.75 and 15.77.

Problem solved... Use metric!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts

Thanks Ian for clarifying this, tech_e this isn't a number I pulled out of the air.

·
Registered
371 Posts
...Guys, I think the difference lies in the fact that the American gallon is smaller than the rest of the world! 1 US gallon = 0.83 Imperial gallon

Using English Gallons, the S5 returns 25mpg on a run and 19mpg in urban routes - which in US terms would be 20.75 and 15.77.

Problem solved... Use metric!
Thanks Ian for clarifying this, tech_e this isn't a number I pulled out of the air.
Ohh, sorry. I didn't even take that into account. I remembered something about that but didn't notice Saj is from the UK.

Well that makes sence and makes me feel good about my purchase, because I started to think that I could get 23mpg US with an S5. That didn't bring happy feelings since I just bought my A5.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Ohh, sorry. I didn't even take that into account. I remembered something about that but didn't notice Saj is from the UK.

Well that makes sence and makes me feel good about my purchase, because I started to think that I could get 23mpg US with an S5. That didn't bring happy feelings since I just bought my A5.
Here is something to make you feel even better - we are paying just over $8 a gallon for our fuel here, which is normal. So your even better off than we are as we're paying nearly twice as much to run the cars. :D

Ok I know the gallons are different but you guyz still pay much less than we do. What a life to have an S5 in the US, I wouldn't care if I got 10 mpg then as it would work out round about the same amount as i'm paying now anyway.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.