Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this in response to an S5 thread, but did not get any responses.

I am getting significant vibration on my A5. Between 120kph and 140kph (just over 2000rpm) the seat vibrates very noticably. The steering wheel does not vibrate. I changed to winter tyres 2 weeks after getting the car and as I don't remember the issue on the original tyres I am presuming it is due to the winter tyres. I have had them back to the dealer three times to re-balance the wheels. The situation got slightly better after the second and third attempts but the vibration is still very noticable.

Is anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I get a very slight vibration through the seat buckle at certain engine speeds, although I haven't really nailed this down yet - a few times I think I've left my phone on silent in my pocket and it's ringing. Not too much of an issue for me though - just one of those things I've got used to over 3300 miles in the first 6 weeks. Interestingly I had the same in my Mother-in-Law's Peugeot 306 I was driving after selling my S4 and waiting for my A5. I've never noticed it before in a car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
For those of you who have reported Vibration Issues with their S5's...

I just picked up my car once again from the dealer... I am now on my second set of Dunlops and still have a Vibration issue with the car.. If the car sits for more than 5 -6 hours, everytime I get in the car, the car vibrates and the steering wheel shimmies for the first 20 minutes until the car or tires warm up. It then dissipates, but really never totally goes away. It can be felt from 62 to 70. The dealer reports on the bill that because the S5's have "High Performance" tires, that this is a "Normal Characteristic of this type of tire".. They state that, "because of the soft type of compound the tires will do this after sitting for a short period of time".

I find this to be absolutely ridiculous... I am also surprised as Audi of NA has been watching this car since the day I picked it up and the car has had this issue. I am surprised, as I can not believe that they would let a dealer make ridiculous remarks like that.. I have had many sports cars, ones with lower profiles and softer compounds than the dunlops we have on these cars. Further did it ever occur to them that it might not be the tires and possibly an inherent problem with the vehicle.. If it was the dunlops, then every car would have this issue..

Thus my question: Is anyone else who has an S5, experiencing this problem? I have only seen a few posts on the forum regarding Vibrations... If there are more experienceing this issue, please chime in.

I love my car!! I really do. This is not a bashing.. I just want to resolve this issue and move on.. Your answers will help, as it may help to deduct whether it is really a tire issue, or maybe there is something in fact wrong with the car. Further, is there any sense to what the dealer says. Is it possible that a soft compound tire can continue to get out of round on a daily basis only after 5-6 hours??

To All: Thank you for your time and your replies!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Vibration Issues w/ S5. A5 members please chime in.

I just picked up my car once again from the dealer... I am now on my second set of Dunlops and still have a Vibration issue with the car.. If the car sits for more than 5 -6 hours, everytime I get in the car, the car vibrates and the steering wheel shimmies for the first 20 minutes until the car or tires warm up. It then dissipates, but really never totally goes away. It can be felt from 62 to 70. The dealer reports on the bill that because the S5's have "High Performance" tires, that this is a "Normal Characteristic of this type of tire".. They state that, "because of the soft type of compound the tires will do this after sitting for a short period of time".

I find this to be absolutely ridiculous... I am also surprised as Audi of NA has been watching this car since the day I picked it up and the car has had this issue. I am surprised, as I can not believe that they would let a dealer make ridiculous remarks like that.. I have had many sports cars, ones with lower profiles and softer compounds than the dunlops we have on these cars. Further did it ever occur to them that it might not be the tires and possibly an inherent problem with the vehicle.. If it was the dunlops, then every car would have this issue..

Thus my question: Is anyone else who has an S5, experiencing this problem? I have only seen a few posts on the forum regarding Vibrations... If there are more experienceing this issue, please chime in.

I love my car!! I really do. This is not a bashing.. I just want to resolve this issue and move on.. Your answers will help, as it may help to deduct whether it is really a tire issue, or maybe there is something in fact wrong with the car. Further, is there any sense to what the dealer says. Is it possible that a soft compound tire can continue to get out of round on a daily basis only after 5-6 hours??

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
OK... I've not got any vibration problems, but like your gut-feel... I think the dealer is talking tosh. I've never heard of that from a tyre being a 'normal' characteristic. It simply beggars belief that they could claim this.

However, I have had tyres with defective side-walls that have been impossible to balance, so it could be a tyre issue, but replacing SHOULD rectify this... First off, I'd instruct the dealer to replace the tyres with a different make to rule this out... and don't accept this as normal.

As you have already had a new set of tyres (check they are actually new and not the originals!) I suspect it is more likely an issue with the car though... being speed-dependent, it is most likely to be between the gearbox and the wheels... even a 'sticky brake'. However... It should be the dealrships responsibility to diagnose and sort this.

Go hassle them!

·
Registered
163 Posts
DLR - I have an A5 S-line with the 19"rims and Dunlops with the same issue. I thought it was the patch of highway that i take to work, but I've noticed it now on all road surfaces ONLY when the tires are cold. After a few miles, the car is fine. It is not a 'bad' vibration an I can live with it, but it is noticeable.
I agree with you, I've had high performance tires on my Corvette and never experieced this vibration issue before, but given the fact that it goes away when warm, I'm puzzled as to what else it could be ????

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well I get it to and I've still got my winter Dunlops on.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I don't get that at all on my S5. Just a thought though, could it be that you've got water vapour in the tyres from a dodgy compressor. If you have that could put the wheels out of balance until the water disperses over the inside surface of the tyre. If it's cold enough where you are, it could even freeze and then thaw as the tyres get warm.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Good one Graham... very plausible. You can tell you are a fluid dynamicist!

Although the water may even evaporate as the temperature builds and condense when cooled... is this liekly to happen with the pressure involved?

·
Registered
273 Posts
When I switched back from my 18" winter tires/wheels to the stock 19"ers the vibration, which was incredibly subtle toi begin with, went mostly away. Some vestige remained and the dealer re-baloanced the tires on a RoadForce machine and the issue seems to have gone away 99%, although periodically I feel like I can feel it again, but it seems to disappear as quickly as it rea-appeared so stil can't get a fix on it. At this point, I wonder if it might be just in my head.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same problem with my A5 S-line with the winter tyre on, 17 inch Continental. I also noticed it on my summer 18 inch wheels last autumn. I asked the dealer to re-balance the summer wheels and it became better but not perfect. Since I had to change to winter tyres the problem was never solved but I certainly will contact them again if the problem is still there when I change back to summer wheels, which will be soon I hope.

I had the same problem with a previous car (also based on a new platform) many years ago and it turned out to be a problem with the car and not the wheels. It was very sensitive to slightly unbalanced wheels. After a while they fixed the problem with some kind of modification of the car, I don’t remember what they did. So, I guess it could be the same for the A5/S5 and if so Audi should be aware of it. Hopefully they have a solution to the problem, after all the car has been around for almost a year now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Change to Bridgestones

It very well could be the tires and as recommended above I would have the dealer change to another brand of tire. The Bridgestone RE050's are renowned as a high performance tire that is easy to live with on a daily basis. I have had them on a number of cars and find them excellent, even if left sitting in the garage for a week or two.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Although wheel balance would give similar symptoms IMO it's unlikley to be a wheel balance issue if it cures itself after an hour or two driving. It's more likley to be a rotating part that changes as it heats up and is in part of the drive train that can be felt through the steering. That's why I was thnking of the water in the tyre. Again IMO it's not likley to be in the c.v or drive shafts because the diameter is too small to create a significant vibration at 70mph.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have similar problems with my tires, both sets of my wifes tires (summer and winter) and with my wifes and my old cars three sets of tires. Different sizes, brands, build types, etc. The only thing in common is they are all high performance summer or high performance winter tires. The last set of tires I had that did not do this was Michelin high mileage tires on our minivan. Those tires lasted 70,000 miles.

·
Registered
120 Posts

that dealer has A LOT of nerve. High performance tires are harder rubber than winter tires or high profile all-season tires. That is why you cant run lo-pro performance tires in the winter, the cold makes them even more stiff, so it is as if you are riding around on the rims.

The really soft tires you are thinking of are racing slicks. They are not legal for street use.

·
Registered
7 Posts
same problem with my a5 (19" dunlop sport maxx gt) i thought it was just me being over sensitive or the patch of road i drive on to work in the morning. had all the tires balanced and problem continued every morning. do you still have this problem in warm weather? have you tried different tires?

·
Registered
45 Posts
if you think about it, in 'high performance' tires, the rubber compound is softer than the ones that go for 80K mile. Soft rubber should be more resilient and even if it "takes an odd shape" overnight, a few revolutions and that should warm it enough to be rather pliable. For those of you who ever wore a mouthpiece they had to shape with hot water know what I'm talking about...

BS on the dealer - make them figure it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
same problem with my a5 (19" dunlop sport maxx gt) i thought it was just me being over sensitive or the patch of road i drive on to work in the morning. had all the tires balanced and problem continued every morning.

1 - 20 of 341 Posts