Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I've got a feeling this has been raised before but I couldn't find it through the Search facility. If I turn up the B&O system, any track with some bass to it causes the front doors to vibrate resulting in an annoying drumming from the panals. I'm living with it for now because I don't usually have the music on too loud but it really needs sorting. Is this a common fault ?

· Registered
88 Posts
Guys, I've got a feeling this has been raised before but I couldn't find it through the Search facility. If I turn up the B&O system, any track with some bass to it causes the front doors to vibrate resulting in an annoying drumming from the panals. I'm living with it for now because I don't usually have the music on too loud but it really needs sorting. Is this a common fault ?
I'm experiencing the same thing. Rattles in door panels when I turn up the volume for songs with certain bass frequencies. It's actually pretty bad.

I'll check it with the dealership and if he can't help, I'll dynamat the whole thing.

· Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was thinking of doing the same...

· Registered
3,586 Posts
I've experienced the exact same problem, but it's been limited to only my passenger side door. There was a post someone had made about this issue, but I haven't been able to track it down just yet.

If I recall correctly, their dealership traced the problem to a speaker wiring vibrating against the inside of the door. They ended up wrapping the wire with some type of cushioning material and that fixed the problem.

I've just decided to live with the occasional vibration for now because I really don't want anyone taking my door apart and potentially causing some type of other problem along with way.

I'll see if I can track down that other thread later on today.

EDIT: Just found that post here.

· Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Having the problem in both doors as well. The bass note has to be just right (and not necessarily very loud). I think (at least in my case) that it's the aluminum trim in each door. When I brought my car in last week, I said I was getting this "hooptie" effect and asked them about reseating those two trim pieces. Without saying as much, I had the same reservations as TX about digging into the doors. They apparently agreed because they decided not to try, explaining that they thought they might make the problem worse until they better understand the trim. They said they'd first try to take the trim off of their own demo to explore the possibility, but I haven't yet heard back on that. I didn't deem it that pressing an issue to stay on top of them about it. I don't think it happened at all over the weekend (or I'm starting to block it out!).

· Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Easy fix guys, I dropped in at the Dealer and they fixed it while I waited, it is the speaker cable, it needs wrapping in foam, perfect now though... thanks for input and well done TX for finding the original post.;)

· Registered
3,586 Posts
Easy fix guys, I dropped in at the Dealer and they fixed it while I waited, it is the speaker cable, it needs wrapping in foam, perfect now though... thanks for input and well done TX for finding the original post.;)
You're welcome ... and thanks!

Blade, do you know if they had to remove the entire door panel to access the offending speaker cable? Or were they able to perhaps remove just the speaker itself to access the cable? That's what I'd like to know.

· Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're welcome ... and thanks!

Blade, do you know if they had to remove the entire door panel to access the offending speaker cable? Or were they able to perhaps remove just the speaker itself to access the cable? That's what I'd like to know.
They removed the whole door panel TX, only took them 25 mins to do both sides.

· Registered
914 Posts
I have a serious vribration, but not in the door panel(s) but from the speakers in the rear. It is only with a specific frequency, but very annoying. I might be a similar cause, but maybe somebody else recognizes this?

As a matter of fact, the whole B&O setup can not make me smile....the previous Bose in my S4 was much better and had a much more solid sound. I hope I can de-activate all B&O DSPs somehow!?

· Registered
40 Posts
S4udibert...I have the same rattle from the rear panel too. Only happens at a specific frequency. Dont know what could be done besides dynamat around the panels. I notice the whole panel is rattling when volume is turned up also. I tried pressing down on the panel to see if it would help, but only slightly. Still, dont know what it is?

· Registered
750 Posts
Hi drastik,

Make sure you read the entire post, TX placed a link that confirms the diagnosis. A lot of members have had this issue; it is usually caused by the wire bundle in one (or more) of the speaker compartment(s) that rattle when the sound is played at a higher volume. Your dealer should fix it under warranty.

· Registered
58 Posts
I have the vibration issue as well coming out of the side trim on the driver side when the music is loud and bassy (e.g. techno music). I found a nice temporary quick fix for it though id like to share... I noticed when holding the storage compartment on the door the trim does not vibrate, so i ended up putting the windshelid sunshade and my gym gloves in that compartment and the vibration is gone. I think any piece of rag or towel will work as long as it is filling and pushing against the door storage compartment. The harder it is pushing against it the better i guess as it absorbs the vibrations coming from the door.

hope this helps

· Registered
18 Posts
I have the same problem. Both doors vibrate when the b&o is turned up. If the car had cost me £8000 from new it wouldn't be a problem but at £38,000 you wouldn't expect it. Come on Audi

· Registered
10 Posts
I had the same problem, got my dealer to fit a new trim and all is working fine now.

· Registered
3,586 Posts
wow...my dealer told me Audi do not permit them to wrap foam around my speaker wires.... Even after showing them this thread where other A5/S5 owners had their vibration fixed this way, they still won't do it. Any suggestions?
Do it yourself perhaps? Apparently, it's not that difficult to do it yourself according to xpdavidd. (See this thread.)

· Registered
29 Posts
same issue with the drivers side door...only on certain frequencies of bass....also speech seems to really make it rattle bad as well.....like morning radio talk show guys talking.....

waiting to take the car in for vibration issues (mechanical related) and will see what they say they can do about the drivers door as well.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.