Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Very impressive - manually folding mirrors

I've paid $50k for this vehicle, and it's very impressive that it does not
have electrically folding mirrors. I have never seen a car without it since the end of 20th century.
I know this issue only applies to audi USA.
I wonder what the CEO of Audi USA is thinking about this.
Nobody who buys A5 would doubt if it has that feature because it is such a standard feature.
I think it's ridiculous how they play with their customers.

Is there any aftermarket products?
:wall:

·
Registered
388 Posts
khu8703,

Yes...those of us in the North American region totally understand your frustration (unless you have the first year version in the US). If you want to do it right...suggest OEM parts, but be prepared to pay the price. See David's site for a quick reference at www.audienthusiasts.com

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
khu8703,

Yes...those of us in the North American region totally understand your frustration (unless you have the first year version in the US). If you want to do it right...suggest OEM parts, but be prepared to pay the price. See David's site for a quick reference at www.audienthusiasts.com
I think I'm going to get it installed pretty soon.
Do you know its approximate cost??
Would it cost more than $500(U.S)??

·
Registered
388 Posts
I look back at all of the DIY mods so far...and this one is my fav, but be prepared to pay, cause it's pricey! I chose to do a full conversion which means a completely new set (personal preference for the original style mirror size/shape/design)...though most chose to retain their mirror cover caps, mirrors etc and change out the motorized support, rotary switch, optic clip for the switch etc. Minimum cost (based on list - be sure to negotiate a discount) and your guess is right...but unfortunately a per mirror conversion price!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Over $500 per mirror???
They think that cutting off $1000 for manual folding mirrors would attract more customers??
This is absolutely trifling with consumers!

I look back at all of the DIY mods so far...and this one is my fav, but be prepared to pay, cause it's pricey! I chose to do a full conversion which means a completely new set (personal preference for the original style mirror size/shape/design)...though most chose to retain their mirror cover caps, mirrors etc and change out the motorized support, rotary switch, optic clip for the switch etc. Minimum cost (based on list - be sure to negotiate a discount) and your guess is right...but unfortunately a per mirror conversion price!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Why are folding mirrors such a big deal for you in the US. They aren't generally standard in UK. I have them but would not lose any sleep if I didn't!

Cheers
RG

·
Registered
359 Posts
Folding mirrors are almost pointless on the A5. I have them but never use them. If any other car is close enough to your car where the folding mirrors will make a difference, you will already have lost half the side of your car.

Folding mirrors were useful when mirrors stuck out from the side. On the A5, the wings and such parts stick out further when seen as a profile. If you are about to hit the mirror when entering a tight or narrow passage, you are likely to have already scraped the side of the car before you get to the mirror.

I use the mirror as a guage to tell me whether I am too close to something. If I think I will hit the mirror, I know I am way too close!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Why are folding mirrors such a big deal for you in the US
RGBArgee...as with most things in life...wish to have what you don't! To khu8703's point, at this pricepoint (and the style of the car) it should be standard. Deepmeister points out the profile of the car, which is true that the beltline or tornado line/side panelling curves out from the rest of the body unlike other brands...so the wing mirrors don't stick out as much in comparison. However, besides the design optics...helpful to indicate that the car's security system is engaged and tight areas whereby passengers squeeze between cars (parking lots, car ferry crossings) etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
842 Posts
Why are folding mirrors such a big deal for you in the US. They aren't generally standard in UK. I have them but would not lose any sleep if I didn't!

Cheers
RG
because they're cool.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
My 08 has them but I keep them off. They were neat the first week but then got annoyed by them. Maybe I would like them better if they folded out once you unlock or open a door bur they do not until you cut the car on. Also afraid it's something else to tear up so i will leave them stationary for the next owner:thumbsup: Cool feature i suppose, just not anything I would miss.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I retrofitted these on my 09 S5 and I've got an extra set for sale. They include the silver S5 housings but I'm will to sell just the base. They are auto folding with side assist for an 08/09 A5/S5. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
544 Posts

Cheers
RG
You have to understand the mentality of the American car buyer. They just love features that they don't need and will never use. Up until the recent hike in gas prices, SUVs were selling like hot cakes. 99% of the people who bought those things never took them off-road.

Then you've got people who buy Cadillacs with V8 engines and drive them like it's their first time behind the wheel and their instructor is sitting next to them. I mean, why does an 85-year old who is half-blind and suffering from Alzheimer's need a V8, when a 1 cylinder moped engine would provide more power than he could ever use?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
:laughinatabove::laughinatabove::laughinatabove:

That is what I always suspected Monza... does that also explain the mid-term election results??:)

Cheers
RG

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have folding mirrors and I find them very useful for seeing if Ive actually locked the car when walking away. Mirrors folded = all locked up.

·
Registered
537 Posts
You have to understand the mentality of the American car buyer. They just love features that they don't need and will never use. Up until the recent hike in gas prices, SUVs were selling like hot cakes. 99% of the people who bought those things never took them off-road.

Then you've got people who buy Cadillacs with V8 engines and drive them like it's their first time behind the wheel and their instructor is sitting next to them. I mean, why does an 85-year old who is half-blind and suffering from Alzheimer's need a V8, when a 1 cylinder moped engine would provide more power than he could ever use?

in defense of suv's, we have an acura mdx which serves me great for trips to costco, home depot, etc. we can pack in the kids, all the crap they need, and massive amounts of cargo to boot. never once been off road in that thing, never plan to.

i do get a chuckle seeing the young women at the parking garage of our city apartment driving spotless supercharged ranges. these fine specimens obviously do not work, have no children and don't go anywhere other than the salon or clothes shopping. guess they need that room adn extra power to haul the shopping bags and haircare products? oh, and don't let me forget one of my fellow managers here at work, arms look like christmas hams and appears to be one month short of becoming the next octomom, but needs a suburban to drive by herself when she should really be walking, rather running, to wherever she needs to be.

the folding window thing could be useful if you live in an urban area where you have to park on narrow or congested streets, but seeing as the fenders would go first on our cars, it's a moot point.

the old coots and their caddys... :) looks like caddy is never going to shake that perception. rightfully deserved i might add, as i never see anyone that looks younger than 60 driving those things, cts included. check that, exclude the escalade for the wannabe ghetto superstars and suburban "ballers."

remember that seniors are also big fans of mb sl's. have also seen a living female skeleton driving an isf recently. when and if i get that age, i'll dump my cars and use a cab or public transportation.

ok, enough venting for today.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Wow! You guys have a label for everyone: Women, Seniors, Suburbanites, ballers, blind people, ghetto residents, Alzheimer patients. Thank god you are all internet heroes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
+1. If you're parking close enough to someone to require your mirrors to be folded in, you're already asking to get hit. IMO, they're useless.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also think they are useless in the US. People do not park that close anyway.

On all my cars that had this feature, I would turn it OFF. One more thing to go wrong.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Wow! You guys have a label for everyone: Women, Seniors, Suburbanites, ballers, blind people, ghetto residents, Alzheimer patients. Thank god you are all internet heroes.

ah omeletpants, bringing your joy to another thread i see. not only are you a speed nanny, but now part of the pc police. you sir, are my internet hero!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts