Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I have read through many of the posts here and don’t think I am repeating anything, although my issue may be related to some other issues or questions. I’ve had my S5 for a few weeks now and absolutely love it. After putting about 700 commuting miles on it, the wife and I took it for a drive to Vegas. On the way there absolutely no problem or concerns at all. I worked through the gears never redlining or even getting within 750rpms of redlining. The car ran like a champ, had a 4 mile run with a CaymanS before he backed down after giving me the thumbs up. I also had an older M3 get on my a$$ then make a hard move to pass me on the right, I downshifted from 5th to 4th and took off and left the guy standing there, either he was just testing me or didn’t know what to do, either way he just disappeared in my rearview. Got to Vegas from L.A. in a little over 3 hours, not record time, but a nice drive and the car was extremely comfortable for both me as a driver and my wife as the passenger.

To stay focused, I will leave out the details of my gambling experiences and the topless pool at Mandalay Bay Hotel. :p

Fast forward to my return trip home. There was an accident at the top of an incline that I came up to and the backup for me was right around the base. 3 lanes converged into 1 and it took just over 1 hour to travel 1.5 miles (all on an incline). I am not sure what the grade of the incline was, but it was around 4100ft elevation. I have been driving for some time and most of that experience is with driving manuals. I was very conscience not to ride the clutch and balance the incline with the gas/clutch combo for the sake of not moving. After about 30 minutes I noticed that the engine was revving itself even with my foot off the gas and clutch out in neutral. I lowered my radio when I noticed it and it sounded like I was getting ready to take off and I am sure from the looks I got that people thought was just sitting there revving my engine for no reason. When I would put the car in gear and start to move, the vehicle was almost self-propelling, wanting to move faster than I wanted it to. Once I finally passed the accident and was able to drive normal, the car would require a much higher rpm to move at a decent speed before shifting to the next gear. So basically, I needed to maintain a higher rpm to switch gears, which made it seem like I was giving it way too much gas and the car wasn’t responding like it typically would. Once I got into 4th gear and higher, it seemed fine; until I got back into the lower gears in which I had the same experience. The car is fine now, but since I am not a “gear-head” I thought I would pass this on to some of you more hands-on members to comment and/or provide feedback on. Just prior to getting on the highway, I had filled up the tank with Shell 91, which I don’t think has any impact, but I typically use Chevron. I have heard about cars running either lean or rich with regular gas that could be impacted by elevation, but not sure of what that even means if I’m being honest or if that makes sense here.

Regards,
DMD

·
Registered
165 Posts
I know sod all about engines but love vegas dude. Won like $45,000 on Let it ride last time I was there :D. Great place cant wait to go back. Hope you had a good time there and that your cars ok btw :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I actually had great stretches playing blackjack and the dumbest pseudo heads up poker game against a dealer at a table. Actually was sober enough to walk up a few grand, but nowhere near 45, and playing Let it Ride??? Very nice.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Was over a couple of nights. Best hand had 4 of a kind up with $50 on each spot. Man couldnt lose that week. Thats the trick staying sober with all that free booze. Great to be able to drive down there for like two nights or so especially in the S5. Did you take it up the strip a few times?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, you would not believe the number of heads that turn when rolling in this car. In Vegas it was the same to the power of 10. It is true that you could be sitting even with a Ferrari and more often than not the gaze of passerbyers is on the S5, especially during the day or early evening with the DRL's they way they are. After 2 passes on the strip the wife was like ok, let's go to the hotel now before one of these "whores" jumps in the car with us. ;) I get more "thumbs-up" and looks of approval than I imagined. It is funny to see how people position themselves in their vehicles to get a look at what you're driving. The most props I have gotten is from guys on street bikes.

·
Registered
165 Posts
After 2 passes on the strip the wife was like ok, let's go to the hotel now before one of these "whores" jumps in the car with us. ;) LOL.

Man must have been the best cruising the Strip in the S5. Pity you couldnt get some one to picture you in the car on the strip would have been well smart. :cool:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Back to the original question. I can imagine that the hydraulic fluid operating the clutch got hot and was causing the problem. Higher torque loads (starting uphill each time), low heat loss (higher elevation) probably caused this. The computer may have also sensed what was going on and had the higher rpms to keep you from stalling on the incline. It then figured things back out later and came to normal.

BTW, My best Vegas story is:
Very last minute (I had 35 minutes to make the flight after a 40 mile drive) come to Vegas call. (oh, before 9/11) I arrive with less than $50 in my pocket. (Was seeing the NASCAR race). My dad and his friend were playing blackjack. I didn't have enough cash to. I tried out $1 roulette made enogh there to go to the craps table ~$500. Made enough there to pay for the weekend. When I sat down next to my Dad he was going to lend me some cash. I put down my chips from the craps table and said I was good. They could not believe what I had done in less than 1 hour. I went home that weekend with a couple thousand left over.

Only other time that I did really well was in the local boats. We had a movie to go see and had about 10 minutes to play. Hit the craps table and was up $750 when it was time to see the movie. Said take my money down 5 seconds before 7 was rolled. Saved my $200.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.