Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search but couldn't find this posted anywhere.

The government currently charges VAT (@17.5%) on the Fuel Duty that is charged on each litre of petrol or diesel (as well as other fuels) that we buy. This currently works out at around 8.8p per litre and means that we are paying VAT on a tax - in other words double taxation.

Now I know that the government will do absolutely nothing about this as it is a nice little earner for them - however, it can't hurt to make our displeasure at this underhanded taxation known.

Please feel free to sign the petition here.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Cheeky B
s :mad:

Signed :)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Done...;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
snap

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I've signed a petition regarding this a good while ago. The usual response from these petitions normally doesn't answer your request at all. It completely steers away from the subject in question. I guarantee the response will focus upon why we're double taxed and how it's good for the country, he'll then go off on a tangent about the economy, this that, and the next thing which we don't give a flying **** about - instead of telling us why they WONT remove or alter this double taxing.

It's just our government though. Tax Tax Tax. And they wonder why we're in the credit crunch? Just because they get everything paid for them, free this, free that (all from tax payers money, remember), they've became out of touch with reality, and how much it actually costs to live for the average working citizen. Countries who tax citizens LESS have STRONGER economies than us... why is that Mr Brown?

And they make a huge amount of money from fuel duty and the tax on that. They don't wan't to lose their luxuries, so why would they cut the fuel duty or the VAT? And I do wonder, WHY does this government have to "borrow" money... WHY?? they tax us good working citizens enough! Where is this money going to??!

Oh, wait, and the news last week. THAT's where £25m of our money goes, to feeding junkies methadone (and that's Scotland's Methoadone bill only... I wonder about the rest of the UK).

Anyway, rant over.

Anyone for a group buy on flights to (TAX FREE) Dubai?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm not a tax accountant but... this principle of applying VAT on top of excise duty also applies to all other forms of duty. It's been going on forever.

Everything that is imported into the EU - think about it: cars, clothing & footwear (excl Kids'), booze, electricals, furniture etc etc - has VAT added to the product cost and the import duty. All the EU governments are at it.

Have signed the petition all the same...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts