Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone point me in the direction of how to use VAG-COM? I want to do the mod for the DRL on my A5 but have no idea where to start.

Is this something a dealer would do for you?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Well, the first step is to find out the basics about your situation...

Have you purchased a VAG-COM interface? If so, which kind?

Have you downloaded the software from http://www.ross-tech.com ? If so, which version?

Answer these questions, and we'll see where we need to go next.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
You need to get friendly with your dealer service tech and have he/she do these small things for you....

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Have you downloaded the software from http://www.ross-tech.com ? If so, which version?
As you seem to be quite experienced with the VAG-COM, if you have time could you maybe post a little guide on what you need to buy, where from and whats involved with using this.

I haven't a clue about VAG-COM and would love someone to do some sort of idiots guide for it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I do plan on doing just such a thing. But in the meantime, I'd have a hard time bettering Ross-Tech's already great online manual. If you go to that section of their site, you can click on a sample screenshot of the software, and be taken to the next proper sample screen, like an interactive demo. It's all sample screens, but does a great job of getting you familiar with the software.

·
Registered
106 Posts

It would be really good if someone could post what cable/software we should be getting, where we can get it from and what we should pay for it. I'd love to have a look around and see what sort of settings can be changed (carefully and with people's advice of course!). Apologies if this has been asked before.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry - started typing this earlier - caem back and hit post - looks like I am not the only one thinking this!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Well, those questions are easy to answer...

The cables are available from Ross-Tech. That's the only official source. You need a HEX+CAN interface. They make two kinds, HEX-COM+CAN (serial port) and HEX-USB+CAN (self-explanatory). You download the software for free from the Ross-Tech website, and the cable serves as the dongle to activate the program. The cable is your software license.

They have other interface cables, like the KEY and Micro-CAN. But these will not do the job on the A5 and S5. The HEX+CAN interfeces are fully compatible with every Audi and VW ever made with a diagnostic port. It's the most expensive interface, but it's necessary.

My cable is the HEX-USB+CAN interface. It cost $349.00. I found the price worth it, as I have two compatible cars, and value the ability to talk to their computers.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My cable is the HEX-USB+CAN interface. It cost $349.00. I found the price worth it, as I have two compatible cars, and value the ability to talk to their computers.
A quick search on E-bay finds me lots of Vag-com cables for less than £20 ($40). Any ideas of the differences- the price difference is huge!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Definitely check out that thread for more detail. But the short answer is that you will have wasted $40.

No cable that cheap can interface with the CAN bus data system on modern Audi/VW cars. It will only be able to use the "K-line" interface, which covers old models like my former 97 Jetta. Since every system on the A5 is CAN, nothing will work with one of those cables. You might be able to clear a check-engine light...but nothing more sophisticated than that.

Now, if you can find a used genuine Ross-Tech cable, you might save a few (very few) bucks. But the resale value of the HEX+CAN cables is very high. As in, not worth buying used.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks - don't know why I couldn't find that thread. Starting to make sense now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies. From looking at the Ross-Tech site, the most inexpensive cable is $330. Are there any other options? This is my only Audi right now and although I would like the DRL mod I will need to justify (in my mind) spending that much for it. I did see one other mod posted here for the windows to be actived by the advanced key, but that is not as important to me. Had that feature on my previous car and never used it.

Are there non dealers that will perform mods for a price?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Are there non dealers that will perform mods for a price?
Yes there are. Lots of people have cables, and most of those are happy to help out other owners. A few will insist on a nominal payment for their "trouble", but many don't. My personal policy is, and always has been, that if you're willing to come to where I am, I'm willing to help out for free. That's especially true for quick and easy mods like this DRL thing. If it's a diagnostic issue, and I need to help you spend an afternoon pulling fault codes and measurement logs from the engine computer, I might say that the next beer is on you.

Check AudiWorld and VWvortex. Both sites have VAG-COM specific forums, and you can find lists of users willing to help out. There's an 18-page thread on VWvortex where people have listed their location to help others out.

As far as getting your own cable, the value of it is for you to decide. It was a no-brainer for me, as we have two VAG vehicles, and one of them is bound to throw a fault code or two someday. VAG-COM's main purpose is as a diagnostic tool, to check fault codes and provide measurement feedback from control modules. The secondary, more fun, purpose is being able to reprogram those modules to do cool stuff.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I need to find someone close to me to help me with the winking DRLs, and Convenience windows...

·
Registered
20 Posts
the entry fee might seem a little high...

but it's definitely worth it. thanks to members like aerodave, quattrings and others i've enabled the voice command, convience window, seat belt chime and most recently , the drls.

·
Registered
415 Posts
but it's definitely worth it. thanks to members like aerodave, quattrings and others i've enabled the voice command, convience window, seat belt chime and most recently , the drls.
And that's just what we've figured out so far on these quite new cars. I'm sure more good stuff is yet to come.

And even if not, as they start to get up in age, being able to diagnose problems can come in handy. The cost of the cable is only about the price of three out-of-warranty diagnostic fees that the dealer would charge just to touch the car with their computer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts