Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning Guys, hope you are all well.

I was just looking at potentially getting a VAG-COM cable ready to switch on a few things that, in my opinion, should be on anyway when my new car finally comes.

I have a couple of questions that I hope you can help with.

1. I found this on ebay - This One - Is the cable the right one and will the shareware version of VAG-COM that comes with it allow me to switch on voice activation and sort the DRLs out?

2. I know the table doesn't list the A5 but have the connectors changed between now and 2004?

3. If it's no good can anyone recommend a place to get one, without breaking the bank.

Thanks
Ian

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Do not buy the cheap Ebay cables - they will not work with the latest software for the A5.

I got my cable from www.gendan.co.uk and it costs £259.95. You can download the software for free from the Ross Tech site but it won't do much without the cable.

Of course, for the small consideration of a few beer chits should you feel the job is worth it, I could make the necessary mods you require and as I am in South Yorkshire, shouldn't be too far from you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do not buy the cheap Ebay cables - they will not work with the latest software for the A5.
That is the reply I expected to be honest.

Thanks for your offer, however I am still reasonably temped to get one myself. I like the idea of been able to play around with that kind of thing. Generally the fun and enjoyment stops when I completely break something.

·
Registered
415 Posts
REB is correct, and I can't add anything major to his great reply. The issue comes down to the data bus that the A5 uses. The CAN bus is the new system on all late-model Audis and VWs. It's a sophisticated system that is a major step up from the basic K-line system in older VAG cars. Those cheap eBay cables lack the circuitry to talk to a CAN system. This is unfortunate, since all the systems in the A5 run on CAN.

I know the pinch of an authentic cable's price will hurt at first. But it's just so damned useful, that you'll not only forget about the price, but you'll wonder how you ever did without it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For a free forum this place it costing me more and more money!

First you all convince me that I need to not be tight and dig deeper to get Phantom Black not Brilliant Black .... then it's get a genuine cable not a cheapo one from eBay .... and this is before the car even arrives.

I'm sure it won't be long before you all 'force' me to get a re-map and a Milltek.

:)

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
The other thing I just learned is that even if you get everything tweaked once, it doesn't mean you won't be going down the same exact road again. After I brought my car in for 5k service, and they updated the ECU software, all my tweaks were reset. So, had I prevailed upon someone in my area instead of getting one of my own, I would have been required to bug them again.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
I'm sure it won't be long before you all 'force' me to get a re-map and a Milltek.

:)
Haven't you read the rules :rolleyes: - both of these items are mandatory mods in order to be a fully fledged member of the this exclusive club. :D

Note to self: Must chase up [email protected] about getting the remap done and the Milltek fitted. :)

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Is the cable the right one and will the shareware version of VAG-COM that comes with it allow me to switch on voice activation and sort the DRLs out?
Just noticed this question in your opening post.

The really short answer is No (to both questions). :)

Now for the long answer:

Unless you ordered the full voice control option, you will not have voice control for Nav, CD, Radio etc. Plus, there is no way to activate such features from within VCDS (VAG Com) as the necessary hardware will not be in your car.

Telephone voice control is a different matter though. If you have ordered a phone preparation option (High or Low) then you will have voice control as standard for the telephone functions (see the manual when you get it). Note to others: this applies to the UK market - your market place may vary.

The confusion arises in that in the USA market, even if the customer orders telephone preparation, the voice control functions are completely disabled. They can be activated with VCDS though.

Of course, if you haven't ordered a telephone option either, you won't have voice control of anything. :(

Incidentally, I daresay this has been mentioned several times on the forum and a quick search may have saved my typing fingers - too late now though.:)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
This is unfortunate, since all the systems in the A5 run on CAN.
Well, to be exact, most systems run on CAN. In cars with nav, MMI components use MOST fiber-optic as well as a traditional K-line for diagnostics. :)

But yeah, you definitely need the HEX+CAN interface (I'd get the HEX-USB+CAN). Ross-Tech does sell some others, like Micro-CAN that works for the A3/VW Golf family of cars, but the HEX+CAN is needed for A5 and, anyways, is the most versatile since it will probably work fine with your next Audi/VW/Seat/Skoda too, so you get more lifespan out of it...

I too would recommend getting your own cable, it is just so much nicer to do your own tweaks in case a maintenance shop resets them or you learn of some new tweak or want to go between some options before deciding which to stick with. Reading fault codes can be useful too. It is a one-time purchase that is likely to benefit you with your current car many times as well as with future cars as well.

Plus... it is just plain cool to hook your car up to a computer. :)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Telephone voice control is a different matter though. If you have ordered a phone preparation option (High or Low) then you will have voice control as standard for the telephone functions (see the manual when you get it). Note to others: this applies to the UK market - your market place may vary.
There are also two modes for the telephone voice control: voice tags only (so called speaker dependent mode) or voice dialog. Depending on market either can be enabled (or disabled entirely like in the 2008 U.S. A5). In voice tags mode the car won't recognize commands and there won't be a dialogue like in the other mode (or with the full speech dialogue system aka SDS), just any voice tags you have recorded for phone book entries.

This (and the difference with SDS you explained already) is covered somewhat more in the end of this article (the coding in this regard is the same between A5 and A6):

Bluetooth phone prep and speech dialogue system retrofit
http://www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/articles/a6phoneprep.html

and the VAG COM codes here too:

Interesting VAG-COM codes for Audi A5
http://www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/articles/a5vagcodes.html

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just ordered me a VAG-COM from Ross-Tech...not too bad for everything you can do with it. If you're in the San Antonio area don't hesitate to hit me up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts