Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Chaps, when I was awaiting my Ross Tech cable and thereafter, new to VAG-COM/VCDS, I did what many of you have done/are doing and perused the many excellent threads on this topic, collecting input from Aerodave, Loc and others into one place so I could reference it easily.

I've compiled this into the attached summary document - whilst it probably infringes all manner of copyright and hence may soon be pulled (;)) I thought it might serve as a useful reference guide for A5/S5 owners seeking to make the most common change to their cars' operation through the excellent tool that is VCDS.

What I found was that whilst there was a wealth on information on this forum, it was a bit difficult anticipating how this would translate into actually modifying data through the VCDS interface before I'd actually seen it. Whilst those of you who have done so will know that it's not in fact terribly complex (and Ross Tech continue to do a great job of further removing the mysteries), I thought that a doc. such as this would make it very straightforward for anyone who doesn't know their Hexadecimal from their windscreen washers to quickly get up to speed.

It's a bit thrown-together and only deals with the basics, so don't get too excited. But if anyone thinks it is of any use, I could probably add to it and create some additional versions with a bit more detail?

As it's a bit of a hasty compilation, I'd appreciate any VAG-COM afficionados sanity-checking the doc - all suggestions for amendment/improvement cheerfully accepted!

(Click on image below to open doc - if this doesn't work, try right-clicking and selecting 'open in new window')

Attachments

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Bloody Excellent Ess5

Well done... although I'm surprised Ross Tech don't do such a guide ...do they?

PS. you've obvioisly got a quiet quarter in the Marketing Dept. ;)!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Well done... although I'm surprised Ross Tech don't do such a guide ...do they?
Aw, shucks, it's not all that, really, just a collection of other people's stuff, prettied-up a bit. There's a bit of A5 reference stuff dotted about the Ross Tech site (here, for example) and the VCDS simulator, in conjunction with the (88 page!) manual, would eventually give you what you need. But this might just be a bit simpler and to-the-point.

PS. you've obvioisly got a quiet quarter in the Marketing Dept. ;)!
Funnily enough, I've never been busier. But as my last manager said to me, wisely and somewhat mysteriously, 'When you have too much to do, do less'. I never really understood what they meant but trust me, I didn't query it - I like the sound of that particular mantra! :p

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Great Mantra...

If you have too much to do, it's either a blip or something's broken.

If you do less, the urgent and important stuff rises to the top and gets done.

...If you try to do it all, no one will ever see that it needs fixing... and you burn out and fade away.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
C99, although Loc's done a good job of pulling-together different pieces of info and relevant links, the presentation on that link is pretty fragmented and a bit impenetrable to the casual user at least.

Probably was a waste of my time, but you never know, it might just save someone else's!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
C99, although Loc's done a good job of pulling-together different pieces of info and relevant links, the presentation on that link is pretty fragmented and a bit impenetrable to the casual user at least.

Probably was a waste of my time, but you never know, it might just save someone else's!
By the way, I really appreciate it ! Well done ! :D

But my sarcasm always wins over my brain ... :p

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Nice one Ess5ive, will be good if we can keep it updated, as it certainly is alot more readable than the loc website. Good Work

·
Registered
220 Posts
Great Job Ess5ive, I was just starting to look through the site to find the proper data to get my update done. I found a shop with the cable and will be there Saturday morning with the help from your work. You just saved me 20 minutes or so, and I'm at work too. Now I will get more work done thanks to you. I'm my own boss and he thanks you.

·
Registered
163 Posts
hmm, nothing happens when I click your image??? can't view it, can't download it ?

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
'
...you should be able to right-click and 'open in new tab' - which would take you to the .pdf.
:)
Great Job Ess5ive, I was just starting to look through the site to find the proper data to get my update done. I found a shop with the cable and will be there Saturday morning with the help from your work. You just saved me 20 minutes or so, and I'm at work too. Now I will get more work done thanks to you. I'm my own boss and he thanks you.
If anyone has problems opening it and is interested enough, PM me and I'll email it to them. Upstate, very pleased you found it useful - your situation was precisely the catalyst for pulling it together so maybe it was worthwhile!

If anyone finds any errors in the doc or has suggestions for improvement, pls let me know. Got a bit lazy towards the end so might expand that, and put a section in on MMI and Control module versions, and relative coding differences. Might....

·
Registered
256 Posts
That looks great! Makes me want to buy a cable of my own.

·
Registered
750 Posts
'
...Ess5's is much clearer and I bet he can pee higher too.

;)
+1 and I read the pee thing somewhere too..

And ..
Well done Ess.:D

·
Registered
871 Posts
To download the pdf right click it and "save target as". This will ask you where you want to save the file on your computer. You will then have the file as a PDF on your PC

·
Registered
160 Posts
the third picture on page 7 (Byte 3) of your PDF it shows 8 Bits 00010101 but you only show 7 Bits on your chart... Was it a typo? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts