Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a VAG-COM that he got from Ross Tech when he had his B5 S4, and he's going to let me borrow the machine to do my mod for S5. Just wondering what do I need to upgrade/buy from Ross Tech in order for me to use his old machine to work on the S5?

Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
When you say "machine", I assume you mean his laptop computer? All you'll need is the VAG-COM cable (which I assume he's also providing) and updated software from Ross-Tech, which you can download for free. (link) As aerodave mentioned in this post, you shouldn't have to purchase anything additional as long as you have the appropriate cable.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When you say "machine", I assume you mean his laptop computer? All you'll need is the VAG-COM cable (which I assume he's also providing) and updated software from Ross-Tech, which you can download for free. (link) As aerodave mentioned in this post, you shouldn't have to purchase anything additional as long as you have the appropriate cable.
Oops. I was under the impression that it's a separate "machine" that you'll have to bring to the car. I guess it's just the cable+software ad your own laptop.

I haven't had the chance to look at what cable he has, but I'm just wondering if the cable he had for his B5 S4 is the same cable that can go into an S5?

This is my first Audi and I'm still confused about the whole VAG-COM situation.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I just realized that in my post above, I provided the incorrect "link". It has been updated now to take you to the Ross-Tech site where you can download the latest software. (My apologies for the oversight.)

The cable required for the S5 can be seen here. Compare that to the one you'll be getting from your friend.

Also, check out these FAQs to learn more.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TX: thanks for the info. I just picked up the cable from my friend, and it's serial connection. The part that goes into the car doesn't have any label on it, and the "box" that has car cable and serial cable coming out reads "Car: ISO-9141, ISO-COM, PC:RS-232".

Does that mean we need to contact Ross Tech and see if we can upgrade our cable?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hex+can

I upgraded from the VAG COM from using on the S4. I am pretty sure you will need the CAN bus capable interface cable, I use the HEX+CAN interface with the S5.

Send you old cable back and with the upgrade fee they will send you the latest

Hope this is of help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.