Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my cable and will download the software and play around with it this weekend. I did download the PDF "VAGCOM FOR DUMMIES" and it is very helpfull but it only show how to keep DRL's on when using the blinkers and using rear lights as DRL's. But I also wanted to know how to change the settings of my lights so that when I put on my parking lights (also lights up instrument panels inside vehicle) the DRL's would remain the same brightness as when you use them for DRL's during the day time and not get dim. Can anyone point out how I would do this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks TX... do you know if there is a check/uncheck box for keeping the DRL's at full brightness when side markers are switched on with their new software like they have for keeping DRL's on when using signals?

Actually can you or anyone who has used and is familiar to the VagCom software make a list of all the modifications that have the "check/uncheck" boxes? Im really nervous about changing BITS and rather just check or uncheck boxes... thank you

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The newest version of the software doesn't display the check boxes for the "DRL at full brightness with parking lights on". However, that is easily remedied by going into the program's installation folder and removing the relevant label file. See this post from aerodave explaining how to accomplish this.

Once you remove the label file(s), you should see check boxes for all the modifications mentioned in this forum.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The newest version of the software doesn't display the check boxes for the "DRL at full brightness with parking lights on". However, that is easily remedied by going into the program's installation folder and removing the relevant label file. See this post from aerodave explaining how to accomplish this.

Once you remove the label file(s), you should see check boxes for all the modifications mentioned in this forum.
thanks TX, but wouldnt downloading the older software which they do have available be an easier route to get the check boxes??:confused:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
thanks TX, but wouldnt downloading the older software which they do have available be an easier route to get the check boxes??:confused:
Well, I tried that but the older software version doesn't work on my '09 car.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Im really nervous about changing BITS and rather just check or uncheck boxes... thank you
Changing bits in the long coding helper is only the tiniest bit harder than using check boxes. The binary representation (00101001, for example) maps directly to those check boxes. A checked box is a 1, an unchecked box is a 0. The only thing to remember is that Bit 7 is on the left, and Bit 0 on the right. Instead of checking the box for bit 4, you just turn the fifth bit from a 0 to a 1.

Now doing the math to adjust the hexadecimal coding directly without using the helper is a lot harder. But there's no need to do that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Changing bits in the long coding helper is only the tiniest bit harder than using check boxes. The binary representation (00101001, for example) maps directly to those check boxes. A checked box is a 1, an unchecked box is a 0. The only thing to remember is that Bit 7 is on the left, and Bit 0 on the right. Instead of checking the box for bit 4, you just turn the fifth bit from a 0 to a 1.

Now doing the math to adjust the hexadecimal coding directly without using the helper is a lot harder. But there's no need to do that.
Thanks Dave... im going to play around with it tomorrow and keep you posted. My last question I promise, is it easy to find the "Bytes" in order to change their "BITS"?? I know I have to go to BYTE 3 to change the LEDs to stay on full brightness and BYTE 10 to disable corner lights.... How is it set-up? Are all the BYTES listed on one page with their BITS next to them to change or do I have to poke around Module 09 (Cent Electronics) -> Coding -> Submodule 0 -> Long coding helper -> to find them? Thanks!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
My last question I promise, is it easy to find the "Bytes" in order to change their "BITS"??
Take a look at this page: http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/recode_screen.html

On the next to last picture, you can see a good shot of the long coding helper. That happens to be a Cent Elec controller, but not for the A5. Deosn't matter...this is just to show you what you're looking for in the helper.

Notice that in Line 3 of that picture, the seventh byte from the left is selected (the highlighted "01") That's Byte 6, since you number them startign with Byte 0. And, no surprise, it says "Byte 6" right below it. Now to the right of that, it shows the contents of Byte 6, which is "00000001". Notice that only the rightmost bit is "on". That means bit 0 is checked. And
in the available check boxes, that's exactly what you see.

So to tell that car that Cruise Control is NOT installed, you want to uncheck the box. Alternatively, you can turn the corresponding bit into a 0. You'd make the binary box read "00000000" and save it. Through the magic of computer math, the new value for Byte 6 would be "00" and that's what would be saved to the controller.

The only tricky part when you change the number in the binary box is getting the helper dialog to save it. If you don't exit out of that box properly, it won't retain the change you make. It's a bit clunky that way. If I rememebr right, you have to hit Tab (or maybe the Down arrow) to move to the next Byte and commit that new binary value. Just pay attention to it and make sure that what you've done has altered the value of the Byte in line 3. If your oringal number (01 in this case) doesn't change to another number (like 00) you didn't make the change properly. Just play with it and you'll figure it out.

Once your done, just click Exit on the menu and the new long coding string will be written to the coding dialog. Write the changes to the car's module and you're done.

One bit of advice: always record your original codings before you change something. You can always put things back, as long as you know what they were before. Running a full Auto-Scan in VCDS will give you a txt file you can save that includes the codings of all the car's modules. That provides a good baseline for reverting changes if you need to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts