Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently treated myself to a VAG-COM cable, after almost 6 months of owning my A5 I decided it was a worthy investment, and of that I am still convinced. And, after reading the numerous posts on the forum, I thought it couldn't be too difficult, just need to be careful about watching what I was changing.

However, as good as the Ross Tech manual is, it can leave you somewhat daunted and assumes in certain aspects that the purchaser has a degree of base knowledge. The VAG-COM experts on this forum speak fluent byte'n'bits; however not everyone does when they are starting out; hence this post.

From my own experience, I really just wanted a simple task to give me the confidence that I wasn't going to screw up my daily driver. However, despite this I soon realised there was a little more to this than meets the eye, nevermind the noises and accompanting warnings flashing up on the DIS as VAG-COM does its magic; really helps the bowel movements!!!

So after completing a few mods, I decided to pull together a newbies intoduction to VAG-COM, together with a simple task with some hints and tips for those embarking on their maiden voyage of discovery.

Please note this is NOT aimed at the more experienced VAG-COM'ers out there, hence the title, so don't flame me. That said, I would neverthless welcome feedback both newbies and the more experienced.

Finally, some of the task pics have already been posted elsewhere, so I do not lay claim to be the originator to the entire content, but more drawing it together into a single doc.

View attachment VAG-COM - An Introduction and Simple Task version 2.0.pdf Note: file is a pdf - right click and 'save target as' to download.

Cheers.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Cheers for that Mulski!

I think you bought your cables through the same group buy I took part in, and even though I've had my cables for about a week, I still haven't even installed the software yet! Just waiting for a few hours of distraction free time. In the meantime I've printed off every tip I can find and your PDF will be added to the collection. I don't wish to "brick" my car!

I did read somewhere that one person deleted his navigation data by activating the hidden menu. I take it yours went trouble free.

Did you try activating the MMI voice commands on your cab?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Not read in detail, but it looks fantastic. Good job!

·
Banned
337 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mulski,

Fantastic stuff! This gives me the confidence to start 'pressing buttons'!
Just need to get round to actually ordering the cable now! Frustrated that I missed out on the group buy (and not so keen to take the risk to buy from eBay for this type of item)...

Thanks again.
Ed

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
637 Posts
PDF- spot on.
Havin seen that,now quite interested on getting vag cable.
Can u tell me what cable you have actually got(not just a link to ross tech)

Ta

·
4,530 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts