Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would start a new thread on this as it could raise a lot of interest.

Long-story short - brought my car in for service a few weeks ago and they did routine maintenance as well as several software updates which somehow removed my option to have my mirrors retract (dealer could not explain why or how).
I drive a 2008 A5 S-line and this WAS funtional before this service.
I got creative and using my Vag-Com, was able to put them back so thought I'd share this with anyone else who runs into this problem.
Now, I understand that the 2009 models in the US do NOT have this option of retractable mirrors but I'd be interested to see if anyone is willing to try and see if thie Vag-Com mod would work for them as well.

Here are your settings:

- Select COMMON from main menu
- go to 46 CENTRAL CONV
- under Advanced Functions, select Coding -07
- on the next panel select Long Coding Helper
- on Line 3, BYTE 7, you will notice a factory default of '05' (see pic below)
- select BYTE 7 and your submenu will now appear below (see pic below)
- put a check-box in the field FOLDING MIRRORS INSTALLED
- close the windows and see the Coding Accepted message and you should be good to know

Let me know if this works on 2009 models in the US.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Confirmed - 2009 US spec mirrors will NOT fold electronically

Let me know if this works on 2009 models in the US.
Nope. I just tried this on my 2009 US spec S5 using your instructions provided above. After changing the settings through VAG-COM (VCDS), I did see the new menu option (Retract Mirrors) under Central Locking on the MMI screen. So, I selected 'on' for that setting and then went to arm my car. But, the mirrors didn't budge.

So, as someone else in the other thread mentioned, it looks like Audi did not include the motors in the mirrors for the MY2009 US spec A5/S5s.

Thanks for providing that detailed info, though. It was worth a try.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn, that's too bad TXcarguy - 2 questions on your 2009
1) on your driver door where the mirror control is, do you have a 4 settings?
( left, heat, right, retract) or is there just the first 3?
2) I assume you tried this by actually stepping out of the car and locking it? (I made that mistake by assuming they would retract while I was in the car) NOT !!!!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
1) I only have 3 settings (left, heat, right) on the mirror control knob. It was confirmed in another thread a while back that none of the members on here who have 2009 US spec A5/S5s have the 'retract' selector (located at the 6 o'clock position) any longer on that knob. Attached is a photo of mine.

2) Yep, I stepped out of the car, heard it chirp, and saw the LED light on the door blinking to indicate it was armed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Sorry for bring up an old thread, but I am searching for information on retracting mirrors when locking the car. Is there any way to find out if my 2010 A5 Cab S-line has the necessary motors in the door mirrors, without performing the above mod? Note I do not have the power mirror option (I have no "retract" position on on my mirror control).

If I can find this out I might invest in a cable...

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
No you don't have them.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
There are 2 things:

folding/retracting mirrors and 4 position switch, if you have them in your car , you can make them, via coding descripted above, folding when locking the car.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
There are 2 things:

folding/retracting mirrors and 4 position switch, if you have them in your car , you can make them, via coding descripted above, folding when locking the car.
That's what I thought, but the thread above suggests that if I did not add optional extra "6XE Door mirrors – electrically adjustable, folding and heated", applying the VAG-COM change would make them fold when I locked the car. I suspected this was rubbish as I doubt (from experience) that Audi would add extra items to a car that did not specifically have that option.

Post #5 above is confusing me though!!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I tried this yeasterday, no retracting after coding.
I don't have 6XE and it doesn't work.

There is different mirror with this "ratracting" engine inside for 6XE (and 6XK,6XJ or 6XM - folding, folding+dimming, folding+dimming+memory, folding+memory, (I can remember the numbers exactly), but it is in part catalogue (ETKA)).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts