Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been posted before or if it was ever serious addressed

but-im just wondering how people feel about having a v6 supercharged opposed to the v8 that is currently in the s5

supposidely the v6 will be faster right?

but how will the exhaust sound compare to eachother?

doubt there'll be that deep growl-i hope it doesnt end up sounding like a mustang

and will it actually be faster? how about mpg differances?

sorry-just curious-as to if i had to take back my deposit and wait a little longer if i would even still want the car with the v6(i've always been a v8 guy lol)

·
Registered
198 Posts
not sure about an audi v6, but the supercharged V6 in my GTP gets about 15mpg. Mostly city driving. So it will prob be slightly better on gas mileage.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would have waited for my S5 if it was V6 supercharged. Not sure if it is any faster though.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
but-im just wondering how people feel about having a v6 supercharged opposed to the v8 that is currently in the s5
The V8 swung the purchase for me. Not sure a V6 supercharge would.

supposidely the v6 will be faster right?
No. It is reported to have less bhp but the engine will apply power differently to the V8 so at different points one will be faster or have more torque than the other. There is "reported" to be less than 0.1 second in the 0.62 time. Although how that has been "reported" without the V6 being available is hard to know.

but how will the exhaust sound compare to eachother?
I am sure the V6 will sound good enough. It wont sound like a V8 though.
how about mpg differances?
It will have better mpg. That is one of the main reasons of making it available.

That said, we do not know if the V6 will be replacing the V8 or it will be an engine choice. Someone posted that Audi want to keep the V8 for the RS models in future and use the supercharged V6 in the S models. Therefore giving a distinct difference in the levels.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Never owned a supercharged car but i assummed that as the supercharger is always 'on' wouldnt you get worse gas mileage rather than an engine that has more cc and no supercharger? Having a bigger engined car would mean that the engine is also doing less work hence using less fuel.
I may be wrong?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Using a v6 and a v8 to diffrentiate between an S and an RS is retarded. then what about an A5 and an S5? both will have V6s (at least in the US) unless Audi comes out with a supercharged four cylinder for the A5 to diffrentiate between the two, which is even more retarded. Just use the friggin V10 in the RS!

One of my main points in buying an S5 was the growl of the V8. At least if Audi replaces the V8 with a V6, I will be satisfied in knowing that I got my S5 before Audi screwed it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts