Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am slated to purchase a used 2018 S5 from Carvana. It has just over 50,000 miles. Everything I am able to discern remotely checks out fine, but I think that is typical for Carvana?

I've test driven a 2018 S4 and loved it. I'm doing the S5 Sportback instead because it's basically the same car but with a useable cargo area. I'm coming from an Infiniti G37 Sport.

Audi's reputation for reliability has me concerned. While Consumer Reports gives the A5 the highest reliability rating, the S5 has a different powertrain, plus other sources suggest sub-par reliability for this model, like 2 out of 5 stars.

On top of that, I was supposed to get the car delivered today. At the last minute, Carvana postponed delivery, possibly for 4 days, because they needed to drive it some to clear off four codes, which is necessary before it can pass the routine emissions test. I called to ask for more info, and they claim the codes relate to emissions issues caused by recent repairs. I get it: if you add new components to a car, you have to drive for a certain number of miles before the inspection will pass. (This is to prevent people from using a battery-disconnect or code-clear to pass emissions.) They did not have details on what repairs were done.

I am looking at an out of warranty car, from a brand that has a sub-par reliability reputation, and that has four codes right now due to unspecified repairs?

Given all this, any thoughts? I kind of think I need to get more specifics on what was repaired, as routine repairs generally shouldn't cause four codes to be thrown!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The safest way to buy a used Audi is through an Audi dealer that will offer Audi CPO warranty on it. Don't buy used cars sight unseen hoping that the car does not have any issues and gotchas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts