Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at everyone's pictures, I've noticed that the European models get clear turn signal lamps, while in the US we have the DOT-standard amber colored turn signals. I really dig this look, esp on the greyscale colored cars. Knowing that the turn signal is a complete assembly with the headlamp, it would be cost prohibitive to just order brand new German E-code assemblies just to achieve the aesthetic look, but I'm wondering if anyone can see if it's a simple piece that can be removed or modified. Since my car hasn't been built yet, I'm also inquiring about whether a swap is possible with my dealership (probably not).

-Ray

·
Registered
415 Posts
Since it's time for bed, I'll just post a quick summary of an answer.

There's a lot of info about this issue if you search around, especially Quattrings' posts at audiworld.com. No, the side marker portion cannot be changed by itself as far as anyone can tell. The only way to get clear sides is to buy E-code lamps. ($$$$)

·
Registered
479 Posts
No, the side marker portion cannot be changed by itself as far as anyone can tell. The only way to get clear sides is to buy E-code lamps. ($$$$)
If you want it badly enough my gut says it can be done via the headlight baking method - soften the glue, pop open the assembly, replace the yellow piece with one of your own making and put it all back together.

It sounds more adventurous than it actually is. I did this on my Infiniti FX35 to put in "angel eye" lights and I replaced the amber sidemarker with a clear one.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
If you want it badly enough my gut says it can be done via the headlight baking method - soften the glue, pop open the assembly, replace the yellow piece with one of your own making and put it all back together.
Unfortunately, your gut is wrong in this particular case. The baking method has already been tried by a few people. That's what aerodave was referring to when he mentioned Quattrings' posts on AW.

Apparently, the glue that's used on these headlights is much stronger than glues used on other headlights. For those who have tried to take them apart (via the baking method), the consensus is that the A5/S5 headlights cannot be taken apart without breaking them.

·
Registered
479 Posts
That is good info, cuz you probably just saved me a whole lot of headaches. ;)

If you have a link I'd appreciate it, not a member over at Audiworld.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yes, the baking issue was what I would have explained further if I hadn't already taken my contacts out last night =)

Several people had assumed that you could bake the lights and replace the side markers. Those people were unpleasantly surprised to learn that it doesn't work for these lamp housings. I suppose if you go in knowing that you've got nothing to lose (if you consider the value of the stock lights to be worth losing) you could be pretty aggressive and see if you can make the baking method work. The worst case is you'll have to buy E-codes in the end, whcih you were going to have have to do anyway.

As for myself, I'll just leave mine alone. I can't believe how reluctant I am to modify my new car...It's unlike my approach to all previous cars. Must have something to do with the A5's near perfection from the factory.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wonder how thoroughly a German parts counterperson would check if you ordered the headlamps there and returned US DOT-spec ones and just said you decided you didn't need them.

-Ray

·
Registered
415 Posts
I suspect that most businesses will check the condition (and therefore identity) of a $1500 pair of parts before issuing a refund.

Hopefully you're joking, and not really thinking of committing fraud.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol yeah, just desperate for a way to get the clears. BTW $1500 seems kind of cheap for a pair of complete headlight assemblies -- what does that actually come with? A typical Mercedes HID headlamp will be at least $1500 per side.

-Ray

·
Registered
750 Posts
Lol yeah, just desperate for a way to get the clears. BTW $1500 seems kind of cheap for a pair of complete headlight assemblies -- what does that actually come with? A typical Mercedes HID headlamp will be at least $1500 per side.

-Ray
You have to remove your original Xenon Bulbs/Ballasts and put them in the new euro-spec fixtures

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, This is sort of along the same lines and area. Rear turn signal color. My 2014 S5 has the US signals in RED as in, the same as the brake brake light color. I want to change the turn signal light color to the same as the REST of the world - Amber/Orange. I saw a kit (made in China) big mistake, and after ordering they came back and said the product was faulty.... Today I went to my local dealer, and it appears that US dealerships cannot order this part, even though every other country in the world has the amber colored turn signals. Any ideas ? I may need to order from a dealership somewhere else in the world..... Thanks, "TheCroc" in Scottsdale, AZ

·
Registered
139 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts