Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just wanted to hear opinions from people on whether or not they think the nav option is worth it? Is the extra money worth an integrated system rather than standalone - and what other control features through the MMI is supported over a non Nav system, if B&O isn't present ? (and besides the central lock control - I think I read somethin about that)

I also have a few additional questions. I'm looking at the web site and it says the nav option comes with 6cd Changer, does it not come with a 6CD changer without nav in the US?

Also a question regarding Audi Music Interface - it supports Ipod connectivity. I read some posts here about usb sticks, and was wondering if the US models can support this too?

Sorry if this has already been covered, Its hard to keep track of what information is relevant to which region so thought i would just ask.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I really like how you can setup the volume to have the lady's voice talk louder than your music volume setting. I was using it yesterday while listening to music from my USB stick (will get to that in a minute). When the lady started talking to tell me I had an upcoming turn, the music volume lowered while she was speaking and then resumed to its original volume after she shut up. :D

As for the AMI, there's a connector in the glove box. You simply need to use the appropriate cable for your music source. In the U.S., I think the car is supposed to automatically come with 1 cable. I specified with my dealer that I wanted the USB cable since I don't own an iPod. I went ahead and also got the iPod cable so friends could check out their music on my B&O system using their iPod.

When using my USB stick, the folders I've created for my music appear on the nav screen. So, when I'm ready to listen to another genre, I simply scroll up to the top level to navigate to another folder. And from there, I scroll down to select the desired song.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, this is all very good information. Thanks!

So I take it you find the nav option to be worth the money?

I really do like the idea of the AMI. Does it provide any shuffle functionality with the USB stick?

Any other opinions? would love to hear.

Thanks.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Personally, I think it's wrong to think of the nav option as just navigation. In that case, it's a terrible deal, because you just get a very expensive integrated version of a $300 dashboard device. It's more proper to think of it as an advanced MMI upgrade with all the features it enables, especially with other options...only one of which is navigation:

• Satellite navigation
  • Audi Music Interface
  • Advanced controls for the B&O stereo
  • Backup camera

If you don't want to get the tech package (for the backup camera), or the B&O stereo, and all you care about is navigation...well it's probably not worth it. But if you view it as an enabler for a well-integrated suite of gadgets, it's the price you pay. I ordered it, and I'm sure it'll be worth it to me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
  • Satellite navigation
  • Audi Music Interface
  • Advanced controls for the B&O stereo
  • Backup camera
You also need to include the following... especially if you have full driver voice control:

* Voice selection through the Directory, including multiple phonebook entry/addresses.
* Voice input and selection of navigation address
* TMC functionality physically displays/lists traffic incidents and automatically re-routes you accordingly.
* FULL INTEGRATION of all of the above in to the dashboard of the car - instead of having stick on devices. ;)

·
Registered
536 Posts
You also need to include the following... especially if you have full driver voice control:

* Voice selection through the Directory, including multiple phonebook entry/addresses.
* Voice input and selection of navigation address
* TMC functionality physically displays/lists traffic incidents and automatically re-routes you accordingly.
* FULL INTEGRATION of all of the above in to the dashboard of the car - instead of having stick on devices. ;)

This is only in Europe though... for the US, we have to manually unlock the Voice control using VAG-COM, and we do not get traffic information displayed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
So is extende voice control (button on steering wheel) not an option in the US? Seems strange....

·
Registered
536 Posts
Is this a difficult/expensive process?
The VAG-COM cable and software is around 300 bucks. You may be able to get your dealer to do it for you, or you may be able to find someone in your area willing to let you borrow their cable. The process of changing it once you have the cable and software is not difficult. I know there is a site with step by step instructions and it didn't look very difficult, although if you screw up, you could do a lot of damage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Personlly, even without the other benefits, my next car (probably an A5) will include a Nav system. I have used a portable Garmin unit for 2 years and been very pleased, but having a larger screen in the dash, without the add-on clutter, and also being less susceptible to glare on sunny days, will be a big improvement.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yeah... those 300 dollar garmin/tom tom systems (the good ones at least) are so much better in every way than any optional navigation system offered by any car company (all of which range from 1500 to 3000 bucks, which is a lot more than 300). The ONLY reason I chose the manufacturer's nav system is for the OEM look without the extra clutter on the dash. If you don't care about that, and you don't care about the AMI, then don't get the Audi NAV. Personally, after playing with it, I thought it was a decent NAV system, although it is missing traffic updates, unlike BMWs iDrive nav system which does traffic, which prevents the MMI NAV, in my opinion, from being better than the BMW iDrive. Even though I like the MMI system better than the iDrive system, the fact that the BMW has traffic is a huge advantage for me, as I have driven a new 335i with iDrive for a while and it has helped save my ass from major traffic jams a lot of times.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
This is only in Europe though... for the US, we have to manually unlock the Voice control using VAG-COM, and we do not get traffic information displayed.
And even then, activating the voice control on U.S. models only affects the phone features (not the Nav). In order to control Nav via voice, a separate module would need to be installed. From what I understand, U.S. cars don't have that module installed.

More details about this can be found in the following thread: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/us-voice-command-1351/index.html

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I really do like the idea of the AMI. Does it provide any shuffle functionality with the USB stick?
Yes, the shuffle feature does work with a USB stick. I tested this yesterday.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ive ordered B&O and satnav , how do , indeed can I , use a usb stick/ipod to listen to my toons? what's the 'cable in the glovebox' thing?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Ive ordered B&O and satnav , how do , indeed can I , use a usb stick/ipod to listen to my toons? what's the 'cable in the glovebox' thing?
yes.. you can...Audi Music Interface (the thing that give you full ipod control via the MMI and other audio devices) is standard with SatNav...

cable is the glovebox is where/what you need to onnect your device to the car...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I always say ... a picture is worth a thousand words. :)

Pic 1 - USB cable attached to AMI connector in glove compartment
Pic 2 - Resting tray pulled out (showing my USB flash drive connected)
Pic 3 - Resting tray pushed in
Pic 4 - iPod cable for AMI

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have tried the S5 Navigation a few times and compared it against the Garmin Nuvi and here are a few observations;

- The Audi Nav gives more chatter, like keep left... and ....stay left and keep driving - helpfull to some but not necessary IMHO

-Twice the Audi Nav said prepare to make a right followed immediately by prepare to make a left - I could not believe this, so I re-traced my path and it did it again.

- On one occassion, a new road that was built 12 month ago did not appear on the map - I figure this is an update issue and will chasing Audi to see if they supplied the latest software.

-The garmin has a birds eye view of the road option which I could not find on the Audi - this is a nice feature.

Anyway, as others have pointed out getting Nav gives you the MMI controller near the gear stick vs. the dashboard, plus a bunch of other things like the AMI, and it all work really smoothly.

I probably won't use the Nav system much -I find it a bit distracting

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.