Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I got to a point where the clutch is not good anymore and need to be replaced on my 2010 Audi A5 (Manual) at around 64000 miles.

I visited 3 mechanics and got confused as all of them gave different suggestions. First told that I have to change the flywheel with the clutch no matter what. Second one told me that he needs to remove the transmission from the engine and inspect the flywheel and would let me know if it needed to be replaced or not. Third mechanic just sat inside the car and checked the clutch pedal a few times and told me that only changing the clutch kit without the flywheel would be perfectly fine.

3 different opinions confused me. Flywheel is really expensive here and dont want an unnecessary replacement at such a low mileage. I started to think that the first mechanic just tried to secure himself for not repeating the same work just in case...

So I need your opinions on what to do..

1- How can I spot a refurbished clutch which sold as new by a dishonest part seller?

2- Should I necessarily replace the flywheel (LUK part nr: 415034310 ) together with the clutch kit (LUK part nr: 623360500 ) on my 2010 Audi A5 with 64000 miles?

3- The third mechanic just sat inside the car and checked the pedal and told me that I do not need to buy the flywheel. Can he be right? Or does he need to remove the flywheel to inspect it fully and come to a conclusion to replace it or not?

4- Would it be good idea to get the engine shaft seal replaced while it is not leaking just as preventative maintenance?

5- Mechanic did not mention any other parts, but is there any other parts I can get replaced as preventative maintenance during this job with only a little bit extra labour?

I need to make a decision asap.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
329 Posts
With many cars, resurfacing the flywheel is an option. I honestly must say I don't know if that's recommended by the manufacturer. Either way, you want a fresh new surface for the clutch to bed into. I went for an ECS Tuning lightweight flywheel and I went with a Southbend enduro clutch. Sorry that's not as direct of an answer you're looking for - but it's something, right?
I don't know how to spot a refurb clutch, so can't help there.
I wouldn't worry about the engine seal either. I have 150,000 miles on mine and it's still sealed up.
Last thing, replace the throwout bearing. I am on my 3rd one. They are total junk and can go bad as early as 15k to 60k miles (I've seemed to have both ends of the spectrum). As far as I know, there are no alternatives to the OEM one, either.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With many cars, resurfacing the flywheel is an option. I honestly must say I don't know if that's recommended by the manufacturer. Either way, you want a fresh new surface for the clutch to bed into. I went for an ECS Tuning lightweight flywheel and I went with a Southbend enduro clutch. Sorry that's not as direct of an answer you're looking for - but it's something, right?
I don't know how to spot a refurb clutch, so can't help there.
I wouldn't worry about the engine seal either. I have 150,000 miles on mine and it's still sealed up.
Last thing, replace the throwout bearing. I am on my 3rd one. They are total junk and can go bad as early as 15k to 60k miles (I've seemed to have both ends of the spectrum). As far as I know, there are no alternatives to the OEM one, either.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the quick reply. The flywheel is not a fixed one and can not be resurfaced. The two mechanics told me that if the flywheel is not damaged it could be perfectly fine. One of them told that he had to see the flywheel, the other one told that I would not need to replace it at all, while others are recommending to replace it.

If I buy the clutch kit as LUK, then it comes with the bolt set and few other parts. I am not sure if the Genuine one from the dealership is also coming with those stuff. And the dealership can not answer this question unfortunately.

Is it possible to come by a remanufactured clutch kit from the dealership?

And what is the throwout bearing ? Do you have the part number for that?

·
Registered
329 Posts
If it was easier to get to, I wouldn't hesitate to put the same flywheel back in (assuming it looks good upon removal); however, I wouldn't take that chance on this car (it's a solid 18-hour job for DIYers). I did it on an 84 Chevy Trans Am but that's only a 45-minute job.

The bolts can be used twice (as suggested by Audi). You must mark the bolt with an X on the head to indicate that it's been used. Again, I'd use new bolts on the clutch/flywheel assembly just because I never want to go in there again. And I bought new bolts for my bellhousing because there was evidence that the previous owner had been in there (one bolt head was snapped off the bellhousing and left the threaded shaft in place).

I don't think a dealership would sell you a remanufactured unit.

The throwout bearing is the bearing that presses on the pressure plate to release the clutch when shifting gears. It is also called a release bearing.
As I have an S5, I cannot be sure the parts are the same as the A5 so I do not have a part number.

Again, a lot of this is just my opinion. I hope it gives you some sort of confidence in your decisions.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it was easier to get to, I wouldn't hesitate to put the same flywheel back in (assuming it looks good upon removal); however, I wouldn't take that chance on this car (it's a solid 18-hour job for DIYers). I did it on an 84 Chevy Trans Am but that's only a 45-minute job.

The bolts can be used twice (as suggested by Audi). You must mark the bolt with an X on the head to indicate that it's been used. Again, I'd use new bolts on the clutch/flywheel assembly just because I never want to go in there again. And I bought new bolts for my bellhousing because there was evidence that the previous owner had been in there (one bolt head was snapped off the bellhousing and left the threaded shaft in place).

I don't think a dealership would sell you a remanufactured unit.

The throwout bearing is the bearing that presses on the pressure plate to release the clutch when shifting gears. It is also called a release bearing.
As I have an S5, I cannot be sure the parts are the same as the A5 so I do not have a part number.

Again, a lot of this is just my opinion. I hope it gives you some sort of confidence in your decisions.
Thanks for the info. Yes thats release bearing. So it sounds safer idea to buy from the dealership as I can never be sure whether I will be buying a new part from parts sellers here and there is no law that can protect me.

The other confusion is that the LUK 623360500 comes with the parts on the picture below. However if I order the clutch from the dealership they are not sure what it comes with as they will order it for me. And, the clutch, plate and bearing have all different part numbers.

How can I make sure I get these parts as well from the dealership as most of them dont have part numbers?

Have you purchased the clutch kit from the dealership? If so is it possible to get all of the parts on the picture from the dealership?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts