Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so time has come to make the switch:thumbsup:...having done 20K in the 3.0tdi its time.....I have had the test drive in the S5 and am hooked.

Although did not test car in any 'real' way i wanted to know from members who may have driven both these cars, what are the main differences. I dont want to be dissapointed with the S5, could this happen?

In drive style, response and whilst both engines pull the tdi sport has a lot of torque but does lack 100BHP, :wall:

·
Registered
953 Posts
The engine sound of the S5... oh my god the sound! :thumbsup:

I test drove the 3.0 TDi and it was a smashing car. The S5 sounds sooooo much better. Also, I liked the body on the S5 more than the 3.0 too

·
Registered
302 Posts
I actually find the 3.0TDI more "powerful", but the sound on the S5 is of course something else :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there any head to heads with s5 v a5?

It is difficult to find any true comparisions. I know the s5 sounds good but the 3.0tdi sport can be improed with the miltech exaust.

I just dont want to feel lte down by lack of acceleration power from the S5. I am guessing S5 picks up quicker off the line but what does it do in normal driving conditions, say 30-40 mph country road overtaking truck or line of 3-4 slow moving cars?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I was going to go for an S5 as I love them. Last autumn with high fuel costs etc was beming wary as S5 prices seemed to be plummeting.

Borrowed the DP's S5 and loved it.. then Sales Manager suggested I try his 3.0 Tdi which whilst laking the V8 sound provided nearly as much fun on an identical 35 mile test route yet delivered 35mpg to the S5's 14mpg.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
so time has come to make the switch:thumbsup:...having done 20K in the 3.0tdi its time.....I have had the test drive in the S5 and am hooked.

Although did not test car in any 'real' way i wanted to know from members who may have driven both these cars, what are the main differences. I dont want to be dissapointed with the S5, could this happen?

In drive style, response and whilst both engines pull the tdi sport has a lot of torque but does lack 100BHP, :wall:
Hi and welcome SHARKYtect. An S5 has been mine for 14 months and I've also had about 10 days, 700 miles experience of a 3.0TDi (courtesy car).

It's an interesting switch you're proposing as it seems that in the majority of cases, the decision between 3.0TDi or S5 is made on cost grounds (higher S5 list and higher consumption). Of course, that's not to say that all 3.0 drivers wanted an S5 but couldn't stretch to it, but it's not exactly a cheap car to own.

If you have the cash to acquire the S5 and the means of keeping it fuelled (my rolling average is about 16-something mpg) then for me, it's a no-brainer - do it! Then again, I went for an S5 as the only interesting (to me) model in the 5 range - the 3.0TDi wasn't considered for a second. My time in the diesel was a novelty for a short while then I became disappointed and rather bored with the sense of a lack of engagement in the whole driving experience. Fat torque curve vs free-revving V8? Couldn't wait to get back into mine and regain that driver involvement.

Granted, a stock S5 isn't a sports car, and needs some careful fettling to give it the edge it needs - which once done, only makes the 3.0 seem an even more cumbersome machine.

I think you'll be delighted and you probably won't go diesel again!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Modded S5 Vs Standard 3.0Tdi

Not sure you are being completely fair here Mr E.

You state... 'Granted, a stock S5 isn't a sports car, and needs some careful fettling to give it the edge it needs'

Then you go on to talk about the 3.0Tdi and say 'I became disappointed and rather bored with the sense of a lack of engagement in the whole driving experience.'

Does this imply that you got rather bored with your stock S5 and felt it neccessary to mod it? If so your comparisson is a bit biased.

Don't get me wrong... I could have bought an S5 and can afford one, so it is not a case of sour grapes, I am just not 100% convinced that a wonderful V8 engine & exhaust sound warrants the extra cost. The 3.0Tdi is far from perfect but in the real world suits many people just fine and IMHO is full of engagement and is a great driving experience. For those who want more Alejsandro and others have tweaked the 3.0Tdi to give even greater thrillls.

Come on this blog should not become a 'mine's bigger than yours' Forum.

Let's try to be balanced and evidence based where possible without resorting to rudeness and petty postings eh?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Stop the petty bickering now!

Come on this blog should not become a 'mine's bigger than yours' Forum.

Let's try to be balanced and evidence based where possible without resorting to rudeness and petty postings eh?:thumbsup:
RG, I agree. However, I think that all this freakin' nit-picking about what someone wrote does nothing more than stir up controversy. Lately, I have been repeatedly seeing you and Ess have a go at each other. Can you guys please make a conscious effort to not continue such petty arguments. It serves no purpose in these forums and is quite distracting from the topics at hand. Thank you both for your cooperation! Let's not have any further discussion about this petty crap.

No need to discuss this further. Let's get back on topic now.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
S5 my friend all the way. The TDI just doesn't have the sense of drama you get when you nail the throttle on the S5 and it definitely makes you smile.

And for about £700 extra you can make that drama increase 10 fold with a Milltek exhaust.

The same £700 will still not bring you the drama of a stock S5.

I'll never go back to a diesel in any car if I can help it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The TDI just doesn't have the sense of drama you get when you nail the throttle on the S5 and it definitely makes you smile.
Hmm, I think you havn't chance to drive perfectly tuned 3.0TDI with Milltek exhaust...

Truth is, I have no chance to drive S5 yet, but "only" RS4 with Milltek (in that case too loud for me), which should be better than S5 (engine), and I wasn't surprised, what's surprised me...

I have chosen TDI, because I don't want to be in petrol station each other day...

But I change car like this: diesel - petrol - diesel - petrol, but never the same type or generation, so maybe next car will be next generation of S5, who knows?

So everything has its plus and contra...

Maybe it didn't help...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I would definitely get S5, I wanted to get one, but waiting time was 8 months!!!! :(
Decided to go with 3.0 TDI which hasn't quite satisfied me so went ahead and drove it to MTM. I haven't driven S5, but have 335i, RS4 with MTM Exhaust, both of these cars should have similar or higher acceleration feeling than S5.

My car feels faster than 335i and about as fast as RS4, of course while being slower than both. What I am saying is that it is difficult to measure, you have to drive both HARD and see yourself. By now I wouldn't trade my car in for Audi S5 simply because the only thing for me that makes the difference now is SOUND of V8. On the other hand if I imagine consumption and my long trips across Europe, I wouldn't be so satisfied with refilling the car every 400 kilometers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
guys, very good info indeed. I drive 900 mile round trip every couple of weeks and on the way up to the chunnel i fill up once ( just over half tank) in the 3.0tdi just north of le mans.

I typically get 450 miles on the distance with full tank but in practice get less.

My car is in great condition and has not a blemish on the body work - thanks to high def wax, clay bar and lots of time and other products. It looked better that most of the show room / forecourt audis at my dealer. It had 4 pretty new pirelli roso's, and well specced - it has 32K on the clock and my local audi dealer was only offering me 25K for it! the retail at audi with similar high spec is 29K.

In summary I guess the car is worth more to me than that and I have had some great drives in it. I love the torque shove in the back when you get the revs and gear change just right.

I saw the milteck on the 3.0tdi on youtube, sounds pretty mad. Although I love the S5 engine and it did feel more connected after what AL said I am drifting back to keeping the 3.0. I may simply swap it for a younger model. The car that is, not the wife.

Arghhhh decisions decisions, the car - not the wife you understand.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
There are plenty of very good tuning companies for A5 3.0 TDI:
B&B Tuning, SKN Tuning, MTM ........ don't go for ABT though.
You can make your stock car A LOT faster and it will get very close to S5 performance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the 3.0 TDI. I think like many, I would have gone for the S5 if cost was not an issue - and I means fuel / running costs rather than the outright purchase price. However, I now have the 3.0 TDI remapped and milltek'ed etc. OK the sound is not like an S5 but I think its unique in a stealth car.

Left the M6 toll booth and floored the car - wonderful sound from a TDI!

The other day on a small piece of fast carriage way had a little play with a RS4. Of course .. I know the RS4 is 'faster' but I am quite convinced that he had a bit of a shock as he eventually pulled past me (with his engine screaming away).

I also have a STi 330s (near 330 BHP). THat is a fun car and 'faster' than the A5. But ... at best it does 21 MPG, at worst something like 14 MPG. The A5 does at best 45 MPG and at worst ... perhaps 35 MPG.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Beware!!

Before you deside to order a S5... I must inform you. be ready for some serius "people who turn heads and follow you all the way and even try (and do) talk to you every time you are at the gasstation - attention".

Realy: a S5 is a way of life...

Still wondering? Please press the START button of the S5... 4.2 V8 and listen ... done deal ;-)

Enjoy your S5!:2thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I have the 3.0 TDI. I think like many, I would have gone for the S5 if cost was not an issue - and I means fuel / running costs rather than the outright purchase price. However, I now have the 3.0 TDI remapped and milltek'ed etc. OK the sound is not like an S5 but I think its unique in a stealth car.

Left the M6 toll booth and floored the car - wonderful sound from a TDI!

The other day on a small piece of fast carriage way had a little play with a RS4. Of course .. I know the RS4 is 'faster' but I am quite convinced that he had a bit of a shock as he eventually pulled past me (with his engine screaming away).

I also have a STi 330s (near 330 BHP). THat is a fun car and 'faster' than the A5. But ... at best it does 21 MPG, at worst something like 14 MPG. The A5 does at best 45 MPG and at worst ... perhaps 35 MPG.
Nicely put Markus! See you on the M4 maybe!:moped:

Cheers

RG

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Even here - driving in France each time I stop in services people come over to my "A5 in drag" as my audi technician told me ( as I have de-badged the car and it has S5 wing mirrors.

ok ok, thats it, I am selling my old classic ford and making the switch. Also if you know anyone looking for a concourse 1955 ford pop pls let me know.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Even here - driving in France each time I stop in services people come over to my "A5 in drag" as my audi technician told me ( as I have de-badged the car and it has S5 wing mirrors.

ok ok, thats it, I am selling my old classic ford and making the switch. Also if you know anyone looking for a concourse 1955 ford pop pls let me know.
Is the Pop an E93A.. Can you pm details and spec and price please... Cheers RG
PS Is it Black!!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.