Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Just ordered an A5 1.8TFSI and was wondering if anyone can advise.....
Thinking of upgrading to the 'Y' stying 255/35 R19 tyres
from the standard Audi exclusive 5-spoke design 245/40 R18 tyres but...

1. any significant difference in terms of ride comfort and cabin noise with the larger wheels?
2. what's difference in terms of fuel consumption?
3. any problems with the entry level lower horse power A5 having larger/heavier wheels with regards to performance?

tks alot!!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Upgrading to bigger wheels on any car will have an impact on the performance whether it be a nova or a ferrari, only way around this is to get bigger wheels that are lighter (usually forged) but there are a few light non forged wheels out there too.

But with the 1.8TFSI being the least powerful of the 5s it will suffer the most with bigger wheels, but are you really going to be out there racing with it, so this may not be that much of an issue for you.

In terms of comfort, moving from 18 to 19 isn't going to have that much of an impact, probably won't even be that noticable as your tyre thickness is only going to half an inch thinner all round.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got a 1.8T A5 with the 19" Y wheels. I actually prefer that config to the standard 18" sport wheels that were on the loan car I had for a 3 day test drive - the car just feels a bit more planted to the road.

I wouldn't worry about them slowing you down at all, the car is not slow at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks....

by the way, what's the material and brand of the 19'' Y rims??

tried askin to upgrade to the S5's 19'' parallel 5-spoke star rims but the reply was a 'No'.....darn

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Hi Rookie, if you want the S5 wheels you can just order them. They cant stop you placing an order for them from audi parts catalogue, i may be wrong but you can get everything else.
On another note im moving to singapore (work related) untill christmas in august, got my tickets for the F1, cant wait :) shame i wont be bringing my car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Big Wheels

The bigger the wheel the harder the it is for you to maintain a sharp turn in as the spinning efect is trying to straighten them up. If you see saloon car racing they use the smallest wheels they can get for the speed catigory of the tyre they can fit. I would stick to the size you have if you intend to drive quick. If your a street cruiser big wheels are the job.:cool:

·
Registered
643 Posts
If you're ever pushing the car hard enough where you'll need smaller wheels to gain an advantage, I suggest looking at a different car :p j/k

Seriously though, the 19's are beautiful wheels, and they aren't all that noticeably different than the 18's I tried on a loaned demo A5 I had few weeks ago. I'd say do it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Confused ... why spend so much money on wheels when you could be putting it towards the 3.0TDI with Quattro?

I've got a 1.8T and it's a surprisingly good engine in the A5 - I suspect some of our peers on here would get a real shock if they drove one. However, I'd still prefer the 3.0TDI for that mid range grunt and a little less gear changing - much better investment than a set of wheels.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I'm actually getting those wheels and don't even want them, because they are not detachable from the S-Line package. I like the size, but not fond of the styling, so I'll probably be getting rid of them right away. Hang around until my '09 shows up, you can buy them cheap. =P

-Ray

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.