Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So with the enforced free time we're all getting at the moment I thought I'd stop procrastinating and get on with updating my MMI and Maps.

I bought a package for my S5 (B8) from VAG-TECHNIK for about £85 which came as 3 SD Cards and a CD. The packaging is all VAG with appropriate packing labels and branding, with the SD cards correctly in anti-static bags. All positive signs. I did email them with some questions before ordering and the guy was quick to respond and very helpful.

MMI firmware update 1st.

So having read the instructions several times (don't want to screw this up!), I've connected a battery charger as recommended because you can't have the engine running and it may take 3 - 3.5 hours, I've got into the engineering menu, inserted the card into SD1 and pressed the button.

So now we wait......... :oops:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, first MMI update successful, now on v. K0031.
Next, repeating the process with the next firmware update to v. K0257_5

And we wait....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And second MMI update successful, now on v. K0257_5
On to the 2020 map update.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The map update completed after about 2.5 hours, been for a short drive to test the maps and everything looks good.
Wasn't looking forward to doing the update but actually it was pretty straight forward.

Next job, load the HDD jukebox.

While connecting the battery charge I removed the scuttle plastic cover looking for the negative connection, only learning after that I didn't need to. However I'm pleased I did as it revealed loads of leaf litter in the scuttle well, some blocking the drain. Out with the vacuum and all sorted. Something we should all maybe keep an eye on?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Interesting to read. I have still not updated mine because my need to is not very high vs my fear of bricking the unit. But your success with a stated supplier gives me the confidence to try it sometime. Does it delete the jukebox during the update?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pleased it has helped you, I thought others may be interested.

Funny you should say you delayed updating as worried about bricking it, that's partly why I was procrastinating :D
From what I've read I don't think it deletes the jukebox, but I can't be 100% about that as I haven't loaded anything into mine yet.

The other reason I was procrastinating was I thought that I had to leave the key in the ignition during the process and didn't know how to keep the car from being nicked. However you don't need the key in the ignition to do it, just switch the MMI on, enter the Engineering Menu and follow the supplied instructions from there. You DO need to have a battery charger connected though as the update takes a long time and mustn't be interrupted by battery failure (potential to brick), so the battery must be kept charged.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Don’t see the point in Audi maps, they’re Pretty crap. I updated to 2018 two years ago and just can’t be arsed again.

I’m much happier with Waze on the iPhone that streams the directions through the MMI system anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts