Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?f=23&t=503411

I've seen a quite few irish lads on here so thought i'd post this.

Personally i am shocked that this has happened, i thought safety cameras were for public safety, not profiting. Albeit the goverment is doing a good job at profiting from them already.

What are your opinions of this?

Rob

oops not sure how i managed to post this here, sorry i swear i clicked new thread under the UK forum, sorry, could someone move it please

·
Registered
735 Posts
Looks like a 1 litre S5 will do me at this rate :rolleyes:

Bloody money-grabbing parasites !!! :mad: Knew it was coming tho :(

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I guess we have a similar thing in the UK already with the Safety Camera "Partnerships" which are run by private companies, but they're mobile laser camera vans for the most part - Gatsos are still the preserve of the Police. I would guess the British Government will be watching Ireland with interest to see just how much money this generates - er, oops, sorry, meant to say how many lives this saves!;)

As for the claim that it will cut road deaths by 20%, I guess this should be filed under "lies, damn lies and statistics"!

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I guess we have a similar thing in the UK already with the Safety Camera "Partnerships" which are run by private companies, but they're mobile laser camera vans for the most part - Gatsos are still the preserve of the Police. I would guess the British Government will be watching Ireland with interest to see just how much money this generates - er, oops, sorry, meant to say how many lives this saves!;)

As for the claim that it will cut road deaths by 20%, I guess this should be filed under "lies, damn lies and statistics"!
I wouldnt say it's similar to the SCAMera partnerships, because they're overseen by the police. It's PRIVATE companies - which is an absolute JOKE.

I'm regularly on forums such as police specials, pepipoo, consumer advice group etc and the hastle which private clamping companies cause is horrendous (in england)! Course, clamping a car on private land is illegal here in Scotland.

But, if you have a read at exactly HOW these private companies try to enforce false legislation, and how they actually threaten people, you'd be very surprised.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I am seriously thinking it would be wise to emigrate...........Ireland is becoming so draconian, its just unreal :(

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I wouldnt say it's similar to the SCAMera partnerships, because they're overseen by the police. It's PRIVATE companies - which is an absolute JOKE.

I'm regularly on forums such as police specials, pepipoo, consumer advice group etc and the hastle which private clamping companies cause is horrendous (in england)! Course, clamping a car on private land is illegal here in Scotland.

But, if you have a read at exactly HOW these private companies try to enforce false legislation, and how they actually threaten people, you'd be very surprised.
Rab,
Yes, fair point, they're not really as bad as fully independent private companies that seem to be about to run the cameras in Ireland. However the Safety Camera Partnerships may be overseen by the Police, but they're not doing the job just for the safety of the public (despite their claims) or out of the goodness of their hearts, they're doing it 'cos they can make money out of it. It would be far worse (indeed close to complete anarchy) if they were allowed to operate in the same way as clampers in England. Time to get that application to emigrate to New Zealand in the post!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone heard whether these Irish Privatised SCAMeras will result in points on licenses, or just fines? If just fines, is there scope for not-for-profit motorists group to buy the contract and then just not turn the things on, for all the feckin' use they are for safety??? ;)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Anyone heard whether these Irish Privatised SCAMeras will result in points on licenses, or just fines? If just fines, is there scope for not-for-profit motorists group to buy the contract and then just not turn the things on, for all the feckin' use they are for safety??? ;)
What a great idea! I would think the Government might rescind your franchise to operate though if you weren't bringing them their cut of the profits though...

·
Registered
735 Posts
Points will result for us, sadly :mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts