Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one else feel the drivers seat is so annoying and can be so uncomfortable? The shape at the front of the seat is doing my head in ,I feel my right leg is always ending up in that corner bit ,u know what im on about right:confused: I think its probably me being challenged in the height department but just thought id see if anyone else had noticed.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I dont find the seat uncomfortable but I do find the clutch position awkward and the need to depress it more fully than other cars meaning I have to sit further forward than I would like. Which in turn means I have to compromise my desired seating position.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I dont find the seat uncomfortable but I do find the clutch position awkward and the need to depress it more fully than other cars meaning I have to sit further forward than I would like. Which in turn means I have to compromise my desired seating position.

I think its just that we are not made like germans. They have long legs and short arms......

Actually, I don't mind the seats, they are comfortable for me - however, I find myself changing positions occasionally as some days I feel to close, and somedays my feet are too far.....

I think it has to do in fact as mentionned with the length of clutch travel....

Not a major issue though as for short day to day travel it's not an issue, and I do change for longer drives which is not a problem....

·
Registered
231 Posts
some days i sit in my car for upto 4 hours. (West London-Canary Wharf and back)i find that i feel im sitting on the seat rather than in the seat. but still i never come out feeling achey or anything.

drive an a3 tdi like i did this week then jump into the S5, the clutch is so damn heavy and long in travel

·
Registered
149 Posts
Xpl0d,

I'm 6'1" and I agree with doubledoom...sometimes the distance to the clutch fells a bit ackward to where I'd normally have my seat positioned. If my S5 was an auto I definitely could have the seat back much further. Nicola I find the seat itself comfortable but the adjustments at times seem to require tweaking between the steering wheel adjustments and side & rear mirrors positions.

I've only had my car 2 days so I'm hoping I'll get at least the seat positioning down in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
OMG another one? what kind of body do you guys have to feel unconfortable in those seats?
I am wondering if maybe it has to do with the right hand drive in the UK and the left hand drive in North America / France.

From the description above on the right hand drive (UK) it sounds like the pedals are shifted to the right. I found on the left hand drive (North America), the peddles were positioned well.

I am not sure how much modification / differences need to be put in place to have the peddles arranged for a UK/US car, but maybe the peddles need to be placed where they are in the UK car to accommodate the the drive shaft to the rear wheels.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I agree, at 6' 3" i am used to having the seat all the way back but find I need to have the seat far more forward than usual. Very wierd for me. Shame the wheel doesn't go farther into the dash...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was wondering if the seat and pedals are not centered:confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
This kind of worries me. I'm 5'9" and 135lbs. If people who are 6' and above need to move forward and feel to close to the wheel I don't know how I will fully depress the clutch with out eating the steering wheel? I don't want to feel annoyed while driving.
I know that was a bit off topic but someone mentioned being in the car for 4 hours and not feeling achy. I think that’s great. In all my cars (Asian/American) I've started feel back pain and my butt going numb after 2 1/2 hours.

·
Registered
275 Posts
This kind of worries me. I'm 5'9" and 135lbs. If people who are 6' and above need to move forward and feel to close to the wheel I don't know how I will fully depress the clutch with out eating the steering wheel? I don't want to feel annoyed while driving.
I know that was a bit off topic but someone mentioned being in the car for 4 hours and not feeling achy. I think that’s great. In all my cars (Asian/American) I've started feel back pain and my butt going numb after 2 1/2 hours.

Don't worry about it. THe site is full of passionate critics. Audi knows how to engineer cars, there are thousands sold, and a dozen of us here are so bored without anything important to say that we end up with a meager criticism of the system. So yes, it can require tweaking and adjusting, no it isn't 100.000% perfect, so we all like to bitch and complain about the 0.0001% that isn't.

Honestly, great car with very few, very minor flaws, but when something is nearly perfect, you sometimes focus on the flaws and grant them more importance than they actually require......

·
Registered
182 Posts
i'm 6'2" now having shrunk an inch over the past 10 years (how does that happen anyhow?) and i usually have all of my seats within a tiny degree of fully-rearward, but in the S5 I have a surprising distance left to go when i can comfortably operate the pedals.. I notice my knee has a bit more bend to it than normal, which would indicate the throw is longer than i'm used to in a modern car, but it wasn't uncomfortable for me..

before we got the Q7 we actually looked at minivans (god help me) and in the toyota sienna with the seat all the way back, i couldn't put my foot on the brake from the gas without catching it *behind* the brake on the way over - same problem with the town & country too.. strange..

regarding the numb butt, i remember my B5 S4 had a 2 hour warning that would blink when you'd been driving for that long (i assume audis still have that, haven't driven the Q7 long enough yet) to remind you to get up and move around - i think that's sound advice even if you can go 6 hours without aching.. also, you might want to try playing with the height of the front of the seat - if it's too high and affecting circulation to your lower legs it could affect your upper legs/butt as well..

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
+1

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree; i find the seat (sport version) does not allow me to use straight legs to the pedals, and on right hand drive models the pedals are offset slightly to the right.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have to agree with S5France. I am quite impressed with what we can find wrong with this car. To a novice on this site he/she might come away thinking the car is severely flawed when in fact it is one of the finest crafted machines Audi has ever made (and not to be redundant for the long timers on the site but I have had more than a dozen previous Audis to compare to). As I stated before I took this car on a 4 day 2500mile trip and it is the most comfortable car with the most comfortable seats I have ever been privileged to drive (6 ft. 1 in) with a clutch that doesn't need to be depressed to the floor to be driven smoothly--I like its distance better than my wife's A3 and it is similar to my previous S4s, TT etc. The seating has infinite adjustments so use them folks to get comfortable.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have to agree with S5France. I am quite impressed with what we can find wrong with this car. To a novice on this site he/she might come away thinking the car is severely flawed when in fact it is one of the finest crafted machines Audi has ever made (and not to be redundant for the long timers on the site but I have had more than a dozen previous Audis to compare to). As I stated before I took this car on a 4 day 2500mile trip and it is the most comfortable car with the most comfortable seats I have ever been privileged to drive (6 ft. 1 in) with a clutch that doesn't need to be depressed to the floor to be driven smoothly--I like its distance better than my wife's A3 and it is similar to my previous S4s, TT etc. The seating has infinite adjustments so use them folks to get comfortable.
...i agree as well, this site is becoming stupidly negative and tiresome.....I just get back into my S5 and feel very fortunate and happy to be an owner of such a brilliant car.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
It thankfully took a while for the forum to get to this stage, but here we are. This is an owner's forum, not a circle jerk. If someone wants to rant about the windshield wipers (oh, wait, we've already done that ;)) then even that's fair game. Let's not start with the fan boy vs. hater crap, please. If you disagree, feel more than free to state as much, but there's no reason to get all pissy just because every post isn't sunshine and lollipops.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I hope we can agree to keep the emotion out of the debate; i think the issue is due to the fact that for right hand drive cars, when they moved the steering and pedals they don't line up as well as they appear to for the left hand drive. I am happy to drive long distances in most cars and have no discomfort, even from much "lesser" cars. I very much like the A5, its looks and quality feel in many respects, and i know no car is perfect, but equally i am not frightened to say if i don't get on with the seats as well as I would like/hope. I may be wrong but it seems the people with left hand drive are more or less universally happy with the seating position, so logically the problem is more likely to be a result of the conversion and/or for shorter drivers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts