Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly a big hello to you all! This is my first thread here in the A5 OC forum. Compared to other online A5 communities this looks great, so i look forward to sharing advice with you guys...So anyway, on to my point...

I currently own an '07 Audi A3 2.0TFSI quattro S-Line. It's been a great car for the few months i've owned it, no faults at all but it's time to move on to an A5.
Now maybe this is me being too assuming and naive but i went to my local Audi dealer to start picking options and place the order on a Misano Red 3.0 TDI S-Line....Only to discover that UK buyers STILL cannot spec the S-Line pack despite this being available in every other country upon launch a year ago!
The Audi salesman didn't know when or even IF S-Line is coming to the UK and seemed very reluctant to commit to anything. This seems to be the case with everyone at Audi i speak to.

The main theory behind this reluctance to release the S-Line pack here in the UK is due to our fuel prices. We now buy a LOT of diesel engined cars for the economy but yet we still want sporty looking vehicles. For this reason, sales of the A4 3.0TDI S-Line and likewise A6 3.0TDI S-Line have killed S4 and S6 sales in the UK. I don't think i've ever seen an S6 on UK roads and maybe only 1 new S4. I believe this is the reason why Audi may not release the S-Line in the UK, to protect S5 sales. In the US for example it isn't an issue. The S-Line is seen a cheaper alternative to the S5 but in the UK it is fuel costs which dictate car sales, not the actual price of the car.
I still can't get a confirmation of this as the reason for witholding the S-Line but i think it's a good guess!

There's no way i'm buying a sport model without knowing if S-Line is coming first....After all, i want an S-Line! I think it's basically unfair and decieving of Audi to keep customers in the dark like this .

So has anyone heard any news on the S-Line's UK launch? Or if it is ever going to be released at all?? Is anyone else here in the same situation?
I can't get any sense out of Audi so i'm hoping you guys can give some advice!

Thanks in advance!

Paul.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I was in a similar situation to you. My current car is a 2005 A3 2.0T Quattro S-line.

I wanted the A5 to be an S-line but, as you have found, there is no info at all about a UK launch.

There comes a point where you have to think, sod it, I'm having one anyway so I did:D. I just went a bit mad with the options list to make myslef feel better!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was in a similar situation to you. My current car is a 2005 A3 2.0T Quattro S-line.

I wanted the A5 to be an S-line but, as you have found, there is no info at all about a UK launch.

There comes a point where you have to think, sod it, I'm having one anyway so I did:D. I just went a bit mad with the options list to make myslef feel better!
Did you consider buying the car from Ireland?? This is a route i'm currently looking at as Ireland have got the S-Line...Strange i know. Although you only get a 2 year warranty in Ireland.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Didn't even consider it! Mine is a company car so not even sure if that would have been possible!
What extras does the Irish S-line come with over the Sport?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't even consider it! Mine is a company car so not even sure if that would have been possible!
What extras does the Irish S-line come with over the Sport?
I'm going down the lease route this time around so i have my doubts whether an Irish car is possible! The Irish S-Line is the same as any S-Line i'm guessing...
I think all optional extras are the same as the sport model but the differences are:

More aggressive styling: Side skirts/blades like the S5, Black grille with both vertical and horizontal 'slats', a mesh grill between exhaust pipes on the rear valance, S5 front bumper, S-Line badges on the wings, the suspension is lowered by 10mm and stiffened. There are also the usual s-line markings on the seats, steering wheel etc and silver & red stitching.
The car is also available in Misano Red and Avus Silver exclusive colours which are actually my first choices. My current A3 S-Line is Avus and i love it.

Out of interest how are you finding the sport? Is it everything you hoped it would be?

Paul.

·
Registered
479 Posts
My current A3 S-Line is Avus and i love it.
Snap!! Although my wife keeps saying that I drive a lilac car!

I get the car on 1st september so will be able to tell you how it is then! Had two Sports for a day at a time and the ride is so much better than the A3 which I find is very "crashy" over bumps.

If you are going for a lease / contract hire then you won't be able to source a car from Ireland I'm afraid. I work in vehicle finance and lease companies get scared about that kind of thing as they won't know what the residual value will be.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have just sent an E-mail to Jeremy Hicks, head of Audi UK regarding the matter so i'll be sure to let you know his response as soon as i get it!
I just think high paying customers deserve to know the situation really.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the Irish A5 Book in front of me and A5 S-line in Ireland comes with:

S-line Sports Pack: €3184 i think

Cast aluminium wheels in 5 spoke styling, size 8.5 J x 18 with 245/40 R 18 Tyres (other options too that im not typing)

S-Line sports suspension from quattro GmbH with more dynamic suspension tuning and lowered by 10mm

S-line logos on the front wings

Sill trims with S-line logo

Interior, dashboard and headlining in black, with a choice of silver or black seams on cloth/leather or perforated alcantara/leather seat covers, sports leather steering wheel, gear leaver gaiter and floor mats

S-line inlays on Matt brushed aluminium

Sport seats with electric lumbar support

Exterior paints in production colours plus Avus Silver pearl effect and Misano Red pearl effect

(There are options too but i couldnt be arsed typing them out)

S-Line exterior Package

Front and rear bumpers, side grills and diffuser insert in a striking, sporty design

Side sill strips, body coloured

Web incorporated into the centre of bottom edge of bumper and diffuser insert painted in Platinum Grey

Sill Trims with S-line logo

S-line logos on the front wings

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
S-Line

Snap!! Although my wife keeps saying that I drive a lilac car!

I get the car on 1st september so will be able to tell you how it is then! Had two Sports for a day at a time and the ride is so much better than the A3 which I find is very "crashy" over bumps.

If you are going for a lease / contract hire then you won't be able to source a car from Ireland I'm afraid. I work in vehicle finance and lease companies get scared about that kind of thing as they won't know what the residual value will be.

If it looks 'lilac' I don't think it's Avus silver sounds more like 'Akoya'. !

Re S-line, sound like the A5 is going down the same route as TT mk 2 , many bitson TT are options in other market and i believe the A5 is the same. :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Nope, its 100% Avus. It does change colour in different light. I know akoya and that it is not! Some of the B6 RS4s that were Avus (the first time the colour was launched) had lilac on their logbooks as the stated colour!! I wouldn't have been happy about that!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it looks 'lilac' I don't think it's Avus silver sounds more like 'Akoya'. !

Re S-line, sound like the A5 is going down the same route as TT mk 2 , many bitson TT are options in other market and i believe the A5 is the same. :)
Avus is a funny colour, don't pick it from a brochure and make sure you view it in ALL lighting conditions before buying!!
In dim, eveining light it does appear lilac/blue, in strong sunlight it looks the most amazing sparkling titanium silver but on a dull rainy day it looks like grey primer with no shine to it whatsoever. Never gets boring lol.
I think it'd look great on an A5, then again i might just push the boat out and go Misano Red :D

I'm still awaiting a response from the head guy at Audi regarding the S-Line. No doubt he'll fob me off. I don't really care if the S-Line is being released here or not.... I just want to know either way so i can either hurry up and order a sport model or wait for the S-line.

I can see it from Audi's point of view, sales of the S4 and S6 died because of S-Line diesels so they won't want to repeat that with the A5....

·
Registered
479 Posts
I ordered it 30th May, have a build week of week 28 which is the w/c 7th July. It will be at the dealership for mid august (for me to go and drool over) and I pick it up on a 58 plate on 1/9/08 :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats about right then. I have been quoted an 8 week turnaround on an S-Line by an Irish dealer. I bet they'll do some fantastic business if Audi do decide not to release the S-Line here!

Can i also ask... Was there any discount on offer?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I got 7.75%.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I thought the uk sport had the same suspension as the slines?

I bet they'll do some fantastic business if Audi do decide not to release the S-Line here!
I dout it, the A5 sport looks just as good with out all the extra fancy plastic additions. Although admittedly i would have gone for sline was it available. Im actually not really keen on the s5/sline side skirts now though. the foglight grills are nice and the slight difference at the bottom of the front bumper but its hardly noticeable really. My A5's ass looks pretty good the way it is aswell :)

Edit: Oh and Welcome Ingenieur

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There's no doubt the Sport is a great looking car. I would imagine that the S-Line rear valance and skirts will just fit straight on if you really wanted them. The Grill is probably the same size also.

On the styling side of things... I'm considering ordering mine with the standard 17's and buying the new style RS6 wheels:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Yeh lots of people have done this already, the side skirts are only like 80quid for the pair, not including spraying or fitmet, the main rad grill is a straight swap although the bumper will need removing in the process, i have ETKA access if you want me to look up the exact prices for all the parts for the s parts if you want.

yeh

not sure if it will suit an A5 though.

Why dont you just get an S5?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts