Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I have been trying to get some insurance quotes for an A5 Sport 2.0TFSI.

I've tried loads of websites, including the price comparison ones, and no-one can quote me on the 2 litre engine, even though some of them display that engine as an option.

If I put in the 1.8TFSI I can get loads of quotes. It's driving me mad.

Now my question is to those of you in the UK that have the 2 litre A5, where did you get your insurance from please?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I could not get any online quotes at all. I phoned a few companies directly and none of them had the car on their database - one person even told me the car didn't exist and to check with the dealer what the engine size was !
Eventually I managed to insure the car with Audi insurance ( phone number is on the audi website ). They gave me a weeks free insurance and emailed the cover note to the dealer - very handy. After that I spoke to someone at Direct Line who, although to begin with couldn't find the car on their database, spoke to an underwriter and was able to add it to their system and quoted significantly less than Audi insurance. Try phoning them and you should be able to get cover.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Tonight I have been trying to get some insurance quotes for an A5 Sport 2.0TFSI.

I've tried loads of websites, including the price comparison ones, and no-one can quote me on the 2 litre engine, even though some of them display that engine as an option.

If I put in the 1.8TFSI I can get loads of quotes. It's driving me mad.

Now my question is to those of you in the UK that have the 2 litre A5, where did you get your insurance from please?
I received the same response in readiness to collect my car on Thursday. In the meantime, took the Audi insurance with seven days complimentary cover which sends the cover note directly to the dealer enabling the car to be taxed and registered without any hassle.

Unfortunately, the Audi Insurance is a fairly high price to continue for the year, double the expected rates. Also, when the written quote arrived in the post, they put "TDI" (diesel) instead of "TFSI" (petrol). Phoned them and they said their system is not yet updated for the 2.0TFSI so they show "TDI" for now but the quote is the same as it is the same insurance group. If Audi Insurance do not have it on their system, cannot blame the others!

Was recommended to phone back around 15th of the month when the mid-month software update arrives, which is a few days before the 7 day complimentary cover expires. This would apply to many brokers who use the same pricing service.

As "nikenike" said, phone your preferred insurer and tell them you are ready to buy the policy now over the phone and they may then take the effort to find the car by talking to an underwriter. When just looking for quotes, they tend not to bother with the extra effort?

Good luck and enjoy the car!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wish they couldn't find the S5 on the system sometimes!
Picking mine up this week and the lowest I could find was £1400

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I wish they couldn't find the S5 on the system sometimes!
Picking mine up this week and the lowest I could find was £1400
Try Elephant by far the best for me this year. Age 36 with full no claims bonus, £830 includes 18k miles, protected no claims bonus, mods as per my sig, business class 1, garaged, the wife as a named driver and she's only held a UK license for 2 years. Without the missus I would have been looking at approx £450.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
23, 5y ncb, was between £2.5k and £3.5k on my 1.8t independantly, although i didnt shop around, was purely interested to see what it was like, put mine through the business fleet. God knows how you managed to get 1400 on an S5 when your youunger than me, thought you were like 20/21.

by the way, give us a rev if your driving past the abbey this weekend :).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can get elephant down to 1200, but only with a 5k excess!! Which is a shame cause i've used them before and always found them helpful.

I think the problem is being 22, and possible the SP30.. I can't even get a quote with my partner on (21) but then again im not looking too hard for that!!

Direct line and virgin are currently my best offers.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Brave to even consider a woman drive your car. Speacially one you cant know that well if you forgot her birthday! lol

Hope the hand-over goes well mate, will be looking out for ya.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Was 22 in august. Only 1 NCB. Best quote is with virgin but i think primarily cause I get 10% off online and another 10% for already having home insurance with them (I also got 10% off of the home insurance when i took it out last year as at that point i have car insurance with them lol)

I have got about 40 quotes between 3-5 grand but i've been shopping around for months... how else am i gonna afford petrol?!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have got about 40 quotes between 3-5 grand but i've been shopping around for months... how else am i gonna afford petrol?!
Tough decision really, either throw a ton of money at it now, or pray you dont have an accident. I think I'd have to risk it if I was you, I just wouldnt be able to part with 3-5k on insurance a year.

Im sure I'll be in a simular situation with my GTR though, as Im buying the car myself, but the insurance shouldnt be too bad as I will be 25 when I get it I hope.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blimey, those quotes are harsh!

I got a quote of £643 fully comp on an S5 and my Porsche was only £711 a year too a few years back.

Insurance appears to have gone through the roof in recent years.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Insurance has actually gone down in real terms for most people. However, younger drivers have seen significant increases due the ever increasing and more expensive claims they have been having.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Please Tell Me You're Not Serious!!

Tough decision really, either throw a ton of money at it now, or pray you dont have an accident. I think I'd have to risk it if I was you, I just wouldnt be able to part with 3-5k on insurance a year.
Robb, you're not suggesting that he drives without insurance are you? :mad:

Even if he never has an accident himself, he may become involved in somebody else's and then he will be right in the brown sticky stuff.

Of course, if you are implying something else all above board then fair enough.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Robb, you're not suggesting that he drives without insurance are you? :mad:

Even if he never has an accident himself, he may become involved in somebody else's and then he will be right in the brown sticky stuff.

Of course, if you are implying something else all above board then fair enough.
I was assuming he meant go third party, instead of fully comp.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Robb, you're not suggesting that he drives without insurance are you?
Heh, no of course not, I simply meant he would need to either fork out for the 3-5k a year or go with a high excess of like £5k+ to bring the monthly payments down, which would mean incuring a lot of the costs of any accidents.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Robb said:
Heh, no of course not, I simply meant he would need to either fork out for the 3-5k a year or go with a high excess of like £5k+ to bring the monthly payments down, which would mean incuring a lot of the costs of any accidents.
Phew - you had me worried there for a minute or three. :)
I was assuming he meant go third party, instead of fully comp.
If there is finance on the car, the finance company will almost certainly insist on fully comp. :(

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Phew - you had me worried there for a minute or three. :)

If there is finance on the car, the finance company will almost certainly insist on fully comp. :(
Fair enough. I never thought of that. I've never had finance on a car before so don't really know the ins and outs of it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yup its financed and thus im required to have fully comp. I'm going to go with £1600 from virgin and £750 excess. (plus its 0% monthly)

After having read ians post about the hand brake im worries I might not want too high an excess!!
Its times like these i wish i'd test driven one!

Come to think of it, it will be interesting to see if i get the free 7 day audi insurance, given that zurich won't offer it to me through any other broker as im under 30!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts