Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After reading this thread, I've found a solution in the form of a product called Spikes Spider.

www.roofbox.co.uk

I've had confirmation that there is no requirement to remove wheel nuts etc and the product can be adapted to suit other tyre/wheel sizes in the future.

They haven't confirmed if they'll offer a multi-buy discount, but haven't ruled it out. I need to get a rough idea if anyone else is interested first.

Please reply or PM me. (edit: There is no commitment to buy at this point, only expressing an interest)

BTW, There are other similar products which appear to do the same thing, but this looks like the easiest to attach at the roadside.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
snow chains? why would you need these in the uk?
Please refer to the first line of my original post! :rolleyes:

(edit: Arr, now you've edited your post, you answered your own question :) )

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'd be interested in the group buy if the price is right. I have the 19" y spoke alloys. Do these chains work with the 19" wheels. The clearance is really low...:(

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd be interested in the group buy if the price is right. I have the 19" y spoke alloys. Do these chains work with the 19" wheels. The clearance is really low...:(
Yes, the ones I'm looking at are specifically for the 19" Y spoke, although they will fit different size wheels with some adjustment. Have a look on the website, there's quite a lot of good info on there. What makes these different to normal chains is that they don't fit around the back of the tyre.

I am however starting to think that hiring them would be a more cost effective option. The same website offers them for hire for about £60. I'd have to use them 4 times for it to be worthwhile to buy.... :confused:

Still, I'll see what kind of response I get on here and approach them at the end of the week.

·
Registered
132 Posts
snow chains

I have used chains in the past on other cars. I would suggest check that whichever you go for they don't cause damage to the wheel itself.
Often I believe this happens as the outer part of the chain flaps in and out against the middle of the wheel.

I used to manage a FWD car with only chains on the front for short get out of trouble distances. On a 4WD car I presume you need all wheels chained ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I don't think this should be a problem as the Spikes-Spiders assembly actually attaches to the wheel nuts. They are pretty specific on the website about it not causing damage to tyres or alloys.

The advice varies on whether to attach chains to all 4 wheels, but most information I have suggests that on 4 wheel drive cars it's usually only necessary to put them on the front. They aid steering in this case.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The manual for the A5 quattro says that chains should only be used on the front two wheels. I've seen different opinions on other forums but I will stick to Audi's advice on this issue.

However, they also say that chains can only be used on the 17" wheels. I guess they are referring to standard chains and the ones you've found look designed to work on larger wheels with less clearance.

The rental option would work for me as well but let me know if you are still pulling together a group buy.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Go out in the snow and have fun, keep the chains for the better half:)

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Do many users actually go up north or go on Skiing holidays?

I wouldn't personally have much use for snow chains. Good set of winter tyres, yea. Especially for today's weather!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Many ski resorts in europe require snow chains - even if you have winter tires. So if you drive to the Alps to ski, you have to have a set with you or risk a fine.

As to having a bit of fun in the snow. That's great in a snow covered empty car park -i.e. flat and no other cars. Driving in snow on a slope around curves in the mountains could land you and your family in a gorge at worst. Or more likely you can have fun explaining your choice of summer tires to the snow chain equiped french holiday makers that you are delaying on the steep narrow mountain road you are blocking awaiting rescue.

Hmm. not my idea of fun but to each their own.

Having said all that I'm not that keen to mount chains on my 19" tires. But weighing it up against the safety of my family it's either that or leave my car at home and get a shite rental car with chains!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone tried the Spikes Spider chains yet?

I have an S5 that i will be driving down to Austria next week for some skiing.
dont know if I will need any chains but might be worth taking just in case.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Has anyone tried the Spikes Spider chains yet?

I have an S5 that i will be driving down to Austria next week for some skiing.
dont know if I will need any chains but might be worth taking just in case.
buttons, please update your profile to display your location. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Drove back from Zederhaus in Austria yesterday. this was my first skiing trip and my advice is that if your going to drive you lovely S5, or in fact any car with normal tyres. get some winter tyres as a minimum!

I was advised by the chap we were going with that he had never had any problems on the roads during the 6 or 7 visits he had previously made. this time we experienced a 20cm snowfall while we we at the ski resort one day and the drive home was a nightmare, taking nearly an hour (clear roads about 25mins). complete with us being towed up a hill by a surprisingly happy and helpful snowplough driver. not much of a hill, but it easily beat 4 wheel drive with normal tyres and the traction control off!

if you really want to drive then take a flight to as close as you can and hire a car equipped for the conditions

was great fun on the autobahns though!

p.s. forgot to add that snow chains would have been no use on most roads as the ploughs clear them to quickly. parts of the journey would be clear (drivable) then you would get a drift for a couple of hundred yards then clear again. this is only based on my experience on this trip

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have just updated the main thread in the A5/S5 forum....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts